Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NTL Digital - Component Video

• 30-11-2006 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

Folks,

I noticed that there's an option to switch between composite & component video output on the settings menu. Can anyone tell me if it's simply a case
    of plugging a component cable into one of those SCART adapters that has the composite + stereo audio sockets? (red, white and yellow sockets). If so,
    which of the component plugs do you put in each socket?

Cheers,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

That option is not available on my NTL box (mini pace box).

Unless the box has component video out, there will be no difference in picture quality.

You can get a scart to component adaptor, but again, no better picture.

You cannot plug a component cable into the yellow, red and white sockets of a scart to composite adaptor.
    Yellow is the video and red/white are the audio, uless you are using these cable purely to connect them into the same colours on your tv (yellow red/white)

http://www.showmecables.com/tutorialVideoCables.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

Sparky-s wrote:
    That option is not available on my NTL box (mini pace box).

Unless the box has component video out, there will be no difference in picture quality.

You can get a scart to component adaptor, but again, no better picture.

You cannot plug a component cable into the yellow, red and white sockets of a scart to composite adaptor.
    Yellow is the video and red/white are the audio, uless you are using these cable purely to connect them into the same colours on your tv (yellow red/white)

http://www.showmecables.com/tutorialVideoCables.htm

Thanks for the info, Sparky. I have the same mini Pace box as yourself, but I read that it may be able to output a Component signal over certain pins on the SCART interface, even though this does not conform to the SCART standard. I think this may be why you get a sort of distored or undefined picture when you switch from Composite to Component on the settings menu. i.e. part of the Component signal is being sent out via the single (yellow) Composite cable, but the rest of the signal is being lost. This may be complete rubbish, but it was just something I was curious about. If the Pace box can't actually output a proper Component signal, why would it be an option on the menu?

This is from the Wikipedia page on SCART:

"SCART cannot officially carry non-RGB (e.g. YPbPr) component video signals, which are gaining ground as an improvement over S-Video in markets where SCART is not used. However, some manufacturers of set-top-boxes and DVD players are known to provide optional (menu-selectable), non-standard YPbPr output through the pins that are officially reserved for RGB color components."

Does the Pace box simply merge the YPbPr signal through the RGB socket?

Cheers,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

nodger wrote:
    Does the Pace box simply merge the YPbPr signal through the RGB socket?

I didn't think it output component. It does output RGB - which is almost like component, SVideo or Composite.

Component multiplies chromanesence to red and luminesence to blue (I think) so you cant exactly directly wire them up.

You can get the R G & B pins from a scart wired to 3 phono/RCA plugs and then plug them into a video switching device that is capable of reading RGB over RCA, but not many amps do that. Usually you will also need an extra Sync On Green wire as well.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

nereid wrote:
    I didn't think it output component. It does output RGB - which is almost like component, SVideo or Composite.

Component multiplies chromanesence to red and luminesence to blue (I think) so you cant exactly directly wire them up.

You can get the R G & B pins from a scart wired to 3 phono/RCA plugs and then plug them into a video switching device that is capable of reading RGB over RCA, but not many amps do that. Usually you will also need an extra Sync On Green wire as well.

L.

You are almost certainly right there... the options are Composite and RGB, not Component. I think I have just been spending too long looking at the back of A/V gear at home recently.

Cheers,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

nodger wrote:
    I think I have just been spending too long looking at the back of A/V gear at home recently.

Tee Hee... No Problem.

The amp I am looking at upgrading to will accept RGB or Component. It is doable to convert between the two, just not cheap.

L.

• Advertisement
Advertisement