Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and a Monitored Alarm

Options
  • 30-11-2006 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hello

I've been reading through the forums as I was looking to the IBBs Ripwave but the postings dont look very favourable so am thinking of non wireless. Its just something for low usage.

I have a monitored alarm in the house (wired and not eircom) but I am told by my alarm company that to get broadband I'd need a filter installed.

Is this something I can buy and fi myself. I saw some posts that talk about filters just plugging into the phone socket but I was getting the impression that this is just so that the voice and BB signal are seperate so that the phone can be used at the same time. I'm not sure if that applies to the alarm too.

Could someone possibly help here in terms of an explanation.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It is most likely quite possible to filter yourself, but you will want to check the T&Cs of your monitored alarm to see if doing such a thing will void its guarantee.

Because you're likely better forking out the 80 quid for an installation with a guarantee from the company than doing it yourself, and in the event your house is burgled having your insurance invalidated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yep, check with the alarm company to make sure its approved. phonewatch filters are better quality filters than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

I'll check with them about the T&C but they didnt say anything (that said I know I need to check). The alarm company would be charging well over €80 to supply and fit a filter.

Eircoms site says that they charge €98 inc VAT if its not a phonewatch system and thats obviously only useful if I get Eircoms BB.

The other companies seem to expect the filter to be put there by a 3rd party so they wont do it so it seems to be pay eircom an additional €98 or pay well over that to have the alarm company do it.

Thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

But its not phonewatch you have. In order to keep the warranty on your alarm your own alarm company will have to do it.

Personally I think all alarms should be GSM nowadays. Its too easy to cut a phone wire.

Hi

Yes its not a phonewatch alarm but on Eircoms site they say if you have a NON eircom Alarm and are taking an Eircom BB package they will have a tech install a filter for you.

I understand what you are saying though. I'll call the company back now and ask them about the T&C and if they will do it.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Spoke to the alarm company. They say that there is no issue at all with the T&C so long as the actual alarm is not tampered with.

If they were to install a filter it would be €100 plus VAT for just the actual filter and then €80 per hour callout (1 hour work) and then €80 per hour if it took that long but they can't say how long it would take.

So it looks like my choice is pay Eirom and sign up with them or take a rick and go with IBBs Ripwave.

Thanks

Advertisement