Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Service?

Options
  • 30-11-2006 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi, sitting in work in Carlow with the road outside the window being dug up (well about 4m of it, from a manhole to a lamppost) So I asked the workmen what they were at and they replied "Dunno, something for the ESB and broadband".

Anyway, there's now a new device installed on top of the lamppost, about the size of a shoebox, with two antennae sticking out (each about 1 ft long).

Are the ESB going to launch a wifi service? Or is it someone else just piggy-backing on their fibre?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Piccies?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Piccies attached, taken through a window though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Interesting....very interesting, have no idea what it might be though...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Hmmm

Well if workmen said it was for ESB and broadband then the natural conclusion is its a wifi type thingy possibly wimax based.

But without the commentary from the workmen I'd have been inclined to think surveilance /traffic cameras type stuff.

John

Yeah, I thought some sort of traffic/junction management (it's on a busy junction) but there's no camera from the look of it. The box itself was installed by an ESB crew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Looks a lot like a wifi box to me. That doesn't mean it will be available to the public though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

That there be a tropos Mesh Wifi thingy I would think....a lot of these things look similar...(why does this stuff live in my head!!!???)

http://www.nowire.se/produktblad/tropos/5210_datasheet.pdf

Crawler, looks like you're spot on with that. It looks exactly like whats on top of the lamppost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

It could possible be equipment for Public emergencies services, Garda traffic vehicles, Ambiences Fire brigade etc.., being on a lap post on a busy route makes sense and if their anyway of scanning for any frequencies coming for it, i.e 4.9Ghz is allocated for these such services.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If every lamp post was a mobile phone mast the power would be miniscule, your 2 hr talk time would be 20 hrs.. and cells would never overload.

It's ironic that
    (a) there is no proven health issue on Mobile masts or phones
    (b) If there was, it is the phone that is 10,000 times more dangerous,
    (c) More masts makes the phones and the masts safer, if there was a risk, which there probabily isn't.

So logically the Mast Protesters should lobby for MORE masts and CLOSER to schools (to reduce the power of the kiddies' phone handsets).

That yoke on the lamp post could be nearly anything.

• Advertisement

When does Tetra roll out?

I imagine Crawler right. He usually is :)

It does look more like a Mesh WiFi than anything else. Every 10th lamp as a mobile phone aerial would be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyone fancy taking a laptop out there with netstumbler? :)

Perhaps the ESB are providing a network for their engineers so they have access back to internal network while out on site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

crawler wrote:
    That there be a tropos Mesh Wifi thingy I would think....a lot of these things look similar...(why does this stuff live in my head!!!???)

http://www.nowire.se/produktblad/tropos/5210_datasheet.pdf

Any idea how much these things cost,
    if these guys are connected into the ESB fibre network on the MAN, they must be their as a redundency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Have any of you guys seen the IBB aerial attached to a lamp post in the middle of nowhere near the Carrickmines exit on the M50? Mildly puzzling what it might be used for.

The small Daemons that run street lights for ESB are now demanding broadband access. These two sites are a DMCMR trial prior to a Nationwide rollout in 2012 when EU conditions of service for Daemons are harmonised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Blaster99 wrote:
    Have any of you guys seen the IBB aerial attached to a lamp post in the middle of nowhere near the Carrickmines exit on the M50? Mildly puzzling what it might be used for.

Can you take a photo?

I'm at M50 tomorrow going from RedCow to Blanchardstown. Does that pass Carrickmines exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

The cats out of the bag. e-net are embarking on a WiFi trial in Carlow in association with the County Council. The ESB are just providing power to the units.
    thegills

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mesh == teh suck. :(

Advertisement