Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

budget upgrade

Options
  • 30-11-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a P4 2.0Ghz Northwood skt 478 system with an AGP graphics card, the 400W PSU only has a power connection for 20-pin motherboards so I'd be limited in that way.

I'm not a heavy gamer, and just mainly use the machine for some development work, internet, burning cd/dvd etc.

I would however start to play around with one of the 64-bit operating systems i.e. linux maybe vista so I'm looking for the cheapest upgrade to accomplish this.

Would it be worthwhile upgrading this system to a Socket 754 motherboard, Sempron 64 or Athlon 64 chip? I was thinking maybe I could pick up one cheaply enough on ebay for less than a 100 euro. Would I see much of a performance gain?

I'm hoping to get away with just a CPU/Motherboard upgrade as I dont want to go to a system where I'll have to replace my graphics card and PSU just yet.

I know I'm probably mad to shell out any money on parts which are more or less obsolete but if I could get it cheap enough I figure why not. So any suggestions on motherboard/CPU combo which might suit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

AMD chips & board can be picked up pretty cheaply get a socket 754/939 one so you can re-use your current RAM without having to buy new though if you plan on using 64-bit Vista 1GB is recommended.

Pixmania have an Asus K8N which is a socket 754 board going for €54 it is based off the nForce 3 chipset so you will be able to re-use your AGP graphics card and RAM.

Sempron 2800+ €44 & 3000+ €55 will give you 64-bit support.

As for performance not sure but at least marginally better than the P4 you currently have I'd say.

Oh yeah and you need a Direct-X 9 class graphics card in order to make use of the hardware accelerated Vista user interface, otherwise it will default to the non-Aero Glass UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

thanks for the reply, will take a look at those components you mentioned. Am also keeping an eye out on ebay too.

I think I'm confined to the Skt 754 boards as my PSU only has a 20-pin lead for the motherboard, as I think Skt 939 is 24-pin right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

vigos wrote:
    thanks for the reply, will take a look at those components you mentioned. Am also keeping an eye out on ebay too.

I think I'm confined to the Skt 754 boards as my PSU only has a 20-pin lead for the motherboard, as I think Skt 939 is 24-pin right?

A lot of Skt939 boards are 20 pin. I have an Asrock 939 Dual-SATA II and a Sapphire A9RD480 that are both 20 pin.

:)

hopeful wrote:
    A lot of Skt939 boards are 20 pin. I have an Asrock 939 Dual-SATA II and a Sapphire A9RD480 that are both 20 pin.

:)

Thats good to know actually might give me another option! thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Keep an eye on Adverts.ie as there is a shedload of Skt 939 stuff coming up for sale the past few weeks as everyone is upgrading to Core2Duo gear.

My Asrock will prob be for sale in a week or two once I get my new rig running (although I'm staying with AMD :D )

• Advertisement

yeah I've been looking on adverts.ie myself a bit, will keep an eye out for your asrock so!

Advertisement