Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Size

Options
  • 30-11-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Hey Gang,

As ya all know my Old English Mastiff puppy is coming on Feb 1st. I know thats ages away but I want everything right for this dog.

So this brings me to kennel size and was wondering if somebody could provide me with the ideal kennel i would be very grateful. In the long term the dog will live in the garage which i hope to have finished but if not the the kennel will be where it goes plus i will move the kennel into the garage when completed.

The average size of the dog is 32in at shoulder height and 200lbs?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

One way to judge is the dog must have enough room to stand up in it without having to stoop, be able to turn around comfortably and lie down fully stretched. Mabey double the fully grown size of the dog might work.
    Problem is at first if it's a pup a large kennel will have too much space and won't hold the heat in for a small dog.
    There are igloo kennels which usually give you the types of breeds that are suitable for each size but I find them a bit off the medium one is supposed to fit a collie and it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you find it hard to get the right size kennel, like we did.

Go to your nearest timber yard, you the know the place that create out door furniture and not just cut the wood.

Ask them to make one for you to your specifications. Worked for my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

Years ago when I had to keep my dogs outside, I bought an insulated Barna Shed and put cheap lino on the floor to make it easy to clean. That and plenty of blankets kept two Great Danes cosy. It probably wouldnt work out much dearer than a custom made kennel in a large enough size for your English Mastiff. You can also partition it off into smaller section whiles he's still a puppy or even put a crate into it to make a little den which puppies love.

Advertisement