Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Obtaining new car key

Options
  • 30-11-2006 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

My 16 month old monster has likely put the main car key into the bin and I suspect its lost forever.

How do I go about replacing a remote locking car key for a Ford Focus 03. and what is the likely cost.

I have a feeling its going to cost me a fair whack (maybe i'll trade the monster in, for a new key?).

Any advice would be great, before I visit my local friendly Ford dealer...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ford dealer is the best bet. Probably around €105 + VAT (according to my friendly Ford dealer). Ford are not the most expensive for replacement keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Not being smart, do you have any spare keys to get them cut and coded with the dealer or is it a case of getting new keys altogether.

It costed around 100e to have the key cut and coded for an Opel a year or so ago. I had the original though.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Yes, I have the second 'manual' spare key for the car - without the central locking features.

Thanks for replies - guess a visit to the Ford dealer is the best way forward.

(I'll also let the wife know the cost of letting youngster play with car keys !)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you sure he put the keys in the bin? Check this out:http://www.spychips.com/blog/2006/09/chip_in_babys_tummy_starts_car.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

englander wrote:
    Yes, I have the second 'manual' spare key for the car - without the central locking features.

Thanks for replies - guess a visit to the Ford dealer is the best way forward.

(I'll also let the wife know the cost of letting youngster play with car keys !)
    if you only have 1 key(thats coded red or blue chip) only Ford can help but if you have 2 coded keys(ie that start the car) you can program the remote & code the 3rd key yourself.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

are you with hibernian,they state that if you lose your car key they will get a replacement one. If you have insurance with them then call them up to ask them if this service is available, as im sure i read it somewhere on the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Nice one Anan1. No, I'm pretty sure the little 'treasure' hasn't swallowed it ! I did laugh though.

He went through a phase of putting things in the bin that were...as he puts it...."GONE !" which is why I strongly suspect thats where it has gone.

The missus tends to drive that car and it was only after a couple of weeks I realised she was using the spare and I asked why...

It might be worth looking at insurance as drdre says (obviously if it makes sense with cost vs penalty of premium etc).

Thanks again.

englander wrote:
    Nice one Anan1. No, I'm pretty sure the little 'treasure' hasn't swallowed it ! I did laugh though.

He went through a phase of putting things in the bin that were...as he puts it...."GONE !" which is why I strongly suspect thats where it has gone.

The missus tends to drive that car and it was only after a couple of weeks I realised she was using the spare and I asked why...

It might be worth looking at insurance as drdre says (obviously if it makes sense with cost vs penalty of premium etc).

Thanks again.

yes only do it if its free and also make sure theres no extra charge next year.also if you go that route let me know.thanks

so englander did you get a replacement key.Did you call your insurance compay and if you did what did they say

Advertisement