Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you getting home for Christmas? When?

Options
  • 30-11-2006 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I know some of you are to far away or have work committments but are any of you getting home for Christmas this year? If so when will you be landing? How long are you staying for?

I'm leaving from Stansted on the 24th and can't wait to arrive home :) Coming back on the 1st :( so only a week at home really.

I'll be travelling from Dublin to Tipp to see the gf's parents as well and arrange some wedding things so it won't be the most lazy Christmas either. Still I'm really looking forward to it and can't wait to get home :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I also am flying out of stanstead on the 24th - Around 11am. Back in Ireland until the 4th Jan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm heading back on the 15th, once my exams are finished.

I don't know how I feel about it, really. I'm looking forward to seeing my family. For me though, when I'm in Edinburgh, I'm in Edinburgh. I love it and I'm happy here and I don't think about home much. Then when I'm home, I'm home and love it and don't think about Edinburgh much. But I never really want to leave the place that I'm currently in.

I've been here for over 3 months solid, without seeing anyone from home, so it's just going to be disorientating when I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Nope not going home.. This is my fifth Christmas away from home!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not an option here, flights were crazy prices from Chicago as expected. 2nd Christmas away from home but moving into a new house tomorrow so it'll be another first this year. I was home in November, so I was happy. Enjoy yourselves everyone going home. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Off home on the 22nd for my 2nd Irish Xmas in 8 years :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lump, I think we may very well be on the same flight that day, I'm pretty sure I'm flying around that time as well :D

Faith, lucky you going home on the 15th...but then again you've got exams...they're the only thing I don't miss about University :) Best of luck!

Can't remember which flight it is, I know it's an Aer-Ryanair-lingus flight from stanstead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

See the sig - going to a NEW home for Christmas!! Or at least making a taster visit. Looking forward to it hugely.

The older you get, and the less often you go 'home', the more you'll be struck by how small your parents are every time you see them after a long absence.

Lump wrote:
    Can't remember which flight it is, I know it's an Aer-Ryanair-lingus flight from stanstead.

Ah, I'll be on regular Ryanair ;)

MAJD, yep, I'm not a tall guy but I'm always amazed at how much smaller my folks are, scary really, sometimes :)

Well, I'm on Ryanair too, but once they take over Aerlingus, both companies will be the same :)

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Flying home on the 19th from Heathrow with aer fungus and back on the 2nd.

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Flying home on the 19th from Heathrow with aer fungus and back on the 2nd.

Will you be bringing your bowlilng ball with you? :) Ryanair must love bowlers :) I brought two with me from Ireland to the UK, both weighing 15 pounds! I swear I saw €€ signs flash in Michael O'Leary's eyes when he saw me lugging my bag through the airport :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

r3nu4l wrote:
    Will you be bringing your bowlilng ball with you? :) Ryanair must love bowlers :) I brought two with me from Ireland to the UK, both weighing 15 pounds! I swear I saw €€ signs flash in Michael O'Leary's eyes when he saw me lugging my bag through the airport :D

Ha! No don't think I'll be doing that, probably cheaper to buy a ball over there than pay excess luggage on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Not heading home myself either. It'll be my first non-Irish Christmas. Only been away 10 months so not really feeling the homesickness yet.

I can't get my head around the idea of a "hot" Christmas at all. It just doesn't feel Christmassy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Heading back to the mother land on the 17th, then to France 26th for a wedding and down to Spain or Andorra for the new year.

Hopefully some snow along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Heading home on the 21st and coming back on the 31st to spend New Year in Amsterdam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kushy

i'm heading home for christmas, first irish christmas in 3 years so really looking forward to it. i arrive on 14th and am there till 30th. back to toronto for a snowy new years!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Left Ireland on the 8th Nov to live in Auckland for a while. Mini detour by Hong Kong first.
    Not going home for christmas. Flying to Perth on Dec 22nd (i think) and returning Jan 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

i would be! can't imagine Christmas without my family.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Im going home on the 22nd which will be hectic be all accounts, landing at 12 or so, traffic from dublin will most likely be brutal.
    Havnt been home for xmas since 98! Most recently 18 months ago although ive seen the folks 3 times here in between! This will be my last "visit" home, we're moving back next summer, even told the kids no so theres no going back:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

we are going back on the 16th from logan airport, staying for 10 days and we cant wait.

I havent seen my family in 9 months since i migrated to the states with my wife. Now that i have the GC i can come and go as i please now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

I dunno but for some odd reason I have a feeling I shall be spending this Christmas alone in my room staring at the ceiling. Or probably watching movies and playing some computer games. I’m such a loner :(

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

22nd to the 2nd. stanstead to dublin and back again via a popular low cost airline.

my folks are going to NZ from the 26th onwards though to visit my sister. another sister is going to Nigeria from the 23rd. It'll be a quiet Christmas.

Ennis for the new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

kushy wrote:
    i'm heading home for christmas, first irish christmas in 3 years so really looking forward to it. i arrive on 14th and am there till 30th. back to toronto for a snowy new years!

not heading home but heading for my first irish christmas :)

mightn't be snowing when we get back kush!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Will just miss Christmas at home. Going back from the 26th to the 1st. Flights are less than half the price, though. And all the siblings will still be around.

Haven't had Christmas at home in well over five years now.

Edit: Just remembered I got a little "taste of home" the other day. Junk mail from Brown Thomas came to us in Philly. Standard "Postas Iochta" sign got it all the way over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

The husband and I don't have enough money to make it back for Christmas. :( It'll be his second Christmas here in the states. I can tell he's not too happy about it, but the other day while we were putting up the tree, he said, "We need to give all this Christmas stuff away after the holidays because it'll be our last Christmas in this place!" And he seemed happier after that. ;)

Although, next year I'll probably be sad that I'm gonna be the one away from home at Christmas time...but oh well. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 miss niamh

Hi all

I live in Queensland Australia and will be going home to ireland on the 19th dec and returning on 12th Jan.
    Geez its going to be cold but am so looking forward to catching up with like minded people, good conversation and most importantly a laugh. Me thinks these aussies have had their sense of humour surgically removed...

Hi Miss Niamh, welcome to boards.ie :)

Well, living in England means I have no excuse for not getting home I suppose, although I've just bought a house and am getting married next year so I'd love to have a Christmas with Mrs. r3nu4l, just the two of us. :)

The thing as always is that both sets of folks would love to have us over each Christmas and one set of parents aren't in a position to travel so will never be over and I guess we'll be the ones doing the travelling. That said if we ever have kids we will be spending Christmas in our house as a family :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

man i cant wait to be home!!

leaving on 19th december at 8am and arrive in ireland the next day at noon. have 17hours to go shopping in dubai though so wooohooo!!
    couldnt picture spending christmas here at all, its 31degrees c here today. home for about a month then back out on 18th january...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Heading home on the 17th and haven't booked my return yet. I have to wait to find out if the mister has to work on the 28th, if not I will stay until after the new year.

Advertisement