Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin "Port Tunnel Opening" Bicycle Christmas Party

Options
  • 30-11-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Dublin "Port Tunnel Opening" Bicycle Christmas Party: 6.30pm til later, Monday 11th December, "The Pod", Harcourt Street Station.

The Dublin Cycling Campaign, the voluntary lobbying organisation "Working to Make Dublin A Bicycle-Friendly City" (http://home.connect.ie/dcc), is organising a Christmas Party for Dublin's cyclists to co-incide with the opening of the Dublin Port Tunnel (in late December).

The tunnel has the potential to transform the city by finally freeing the city centre streets of many of the Heavy Goods Vehicles which have dominated the capital for many years. All cyclists, and anyone interested in transforming Dublin City into a safer and more convivial city, are welcome to the party on Mon 11th December - 6.30pm-11.00pm.

Music will be provided by bicycle messenger DJ Seán Ó Tuathail and other DJ's. Food will be provided for those who arrive early and a bicycle-related slide show will illuminate the venue.

Only EUR 5.00 on the door.

Looking forward to meeting you at what will be a very sociable and lively night! Details / poster found at http://home.connect.ie/dcc/events/Xmas06Flyer.pdf Spread the word to all.

Should be an interesting night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cool, might come along to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

On the 11th, pretty much every christmas exam in trinity finishes, so there's gonna be a load of students out that nite (myself included), so if the promoters could make it more student friendly, the cycling end of things should get a good boost.

my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

are ya going to cylce through the port tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

cunnins4 wrote:
    so if the promoters could make it more student friendly, the cycling end of things should get a good boost.
    In what way is it not student friendly at the moment? The flyer mentions: plenty of supervised bike parking directly outside the front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Sorry if i'm peeing on your parade but are we not advocating drunken cycling by advertising both drink and supervised bike parking in the same flyer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

daymobrew wrote:
    In what way is it not student friendly at the moment?

Lack of free booze? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

jman0 wrote:
    Sorry if i'm peeing on your parade but are we not advocating drunken cycling by advertising both drink and supervised bike parking in the same flyer?
    I would interpret "have a drink" as a non-alcoholic drink. I won't take alcohol if I am cycling or if I am driving.
    The flyer doesn't insist that you have an alcoholic drink (or drinks).

I don't understand your connection between "drink" and "supervised bike parking". For me, the latter reassures me that my bicycle will be safe while I am in the venue. I would imagine that bike security is an issue for most cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

daymobrew wrote:
    I would interpret "have a drink" as a non-alcoholic drink. I won't take alcohol if I am cycling or if I am driving.
    The flyer doesn't insist that you have an alcoholic drink (or drinks).

I don't understand your connection between "drink" and "supervised bike parking". For me, the latter reassures me that my bicycle will be safe while I am in the venue. I would imagine that bike security is an issue for most cyclists.

I thought it was pretty straight forward.
    "Come and have a drink with fellow Dublin cyclists.......plenty of supervised bike parking directly outside the front door".
    Basically, it's advertsing having a drink, and in this country that automatically means alcohol, then encourages people to bring their bikes since they can park (and later stumble) directly outside the front door.

Just change a couple words:
    "Come and have a drink with fellow Dublin motorists.......plenty of supervised car parking directly outside the front door".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Jebus - this is awful petty. If *you* think it's encouraging drunken cycling maybe that's just a sign of your mentality!

It obviously means "isotonic energy drink of your choice".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

This is tonight I hope to see some of you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

How did it go? Good night? Had my work christmas party the same night or else I would have turned up. Seemed to be quite a few cyclists milling around the POD while I was on the way home though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spartacus00

Yeah it was a good night. Not bad for a Monday night. Very sociable indeed. I arrived at 7 and was kicked out at 12, It was all over too soon...nearing the end of the night there were quite a few people out gracing the dance floor. The DJ spent the night playing all 'bicycle' relted tunes ie. 'I want to ride you're bicycle' (remix). All in all a good way to start the week before the week before Xmas.

Advertisement