Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PPS number identity theft

• 30-11-2006 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

My wife recently enquired about a few tax issues and were told she was on record for working for 2 additional companies in Dublin. When she got hold of these companies the person she was speaking to confirmed that someone had been working there using my wife's names and PPS number.

We are a bit puzzled how someone could have gotten hold of this information, but even more, that somebody is so bold to do something like this.

Can anybody suggest what we need to do next? Do we have to report this to the police? Social Services? How would this impact our taxes?

More importantly, is there no accountability/follow-up on people when it comes to Revenue, PPS and employment? Surely SOMEONE must have realised something phoney is going on? What are the company's obligations when employing new people? Can they be taken to court for neglect? Aren't these companies suppose to check given names of potential employees against proof of identification such as passport/drivers license?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I did a masters on the PPS number, the conclusions I reached was that it is pretty much a runaway train with no safeguards. I am not remotely surprised by what happened your wife.

The client identity services of the department of social welfare are responsible for (mis)managing the PPS number system. They should be your first point of contact to sort out the mess. I'd also get onto the Ombudsman and notify the Revenue. I don't know what the solution will be (the Dept of Soc Welf are refusing to issue new PPS number to people as of now), but I'd love to hear of your experiences.

I don't blame the companies but the most woefully shoddy identity management system in the world that the Irish government have managed to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,168 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This gives me new faith for working 2 jobs... :D

Hopefully a record will be kept on the PPS number so that any transactions in the other 2 companies will be voided from the PPS number??? Also, sounds like some arrests need to be made for identity fraud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

maidhc wrote:
    I did a masters on the PPS number, the conclusions I reached was that it is pretty much a runaway train with no safeguards. I am not remotely surprised by what happened your wife.

The client identity services of the department of social welfare are responsible for (mis)managing the PPS number system. They should be your first point of contact to sort out the mess. I'd also get onto the Ombudsman and notify the Revenue. I don't know what the solution will be (the Dept of Soc Welf are refusing to issue new PPS number to people as of now), but I'd love to hear of your experiences.

I don't blame the companies but the most woefully shoddy identity management system in the world that the Irish government have managed to develop.

Interesting, what exactly are the implications if someone is using your PPS number? I assume it messes up your tax credits? Are these also legal implications?

Also does someone simply have to provide a PPS number? Or a name to go with it as well? If its just a number, there could be inadvertant mistakes also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have only ever been asked to provide a number not a card with the name on it.:eek:
    When I lived in the united states you had to produce the Social security card with the number no exceptions.

Advertisement