Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

info re: derivatives

• 30-11-2006 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey all, this is my first time posting here

Basically I am in my final year of BSc Accounting & Finance in D.I.T Aungier St. As part of one of my subjects, I have to summit a project on Derivatives : An Irish Context". I have been searching the web looking for information on the supply of derivatives, product availablility, demand and regulation but have been unable to find and decent material.

I would be very gratful if any one could help me on this matter, or perhaps conducting a bit of an interview or pointing me in the right direction as to where I might get some relevant subject matter,

Cheers

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

To trade derivatives you need a market. And there's really no Irish market (it would be traded through London). So ehrm I'm confused ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

yea i know that, most of the back office support is done in Dublin, thats what has me so confused in the first place, is there any dealing in derivatives done here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm sure there's dealing done here e.g. oil prices will be hedged, buyers of agricultural products. Some trading locations would be ICE, Euronext.liffe & Eurex & in the US the CBOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paul malone

you mean you havent finished yet, i got loads done im pretty much finished just have to proof read it. let us know if you need a grind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

It depends on what sort of derivitives you want to look at obviously. There will definetly be deriv's going on in ireland. You don't need an actual exchange to deal in them, most are dependent on the various market makers or inter dealers working off over the counter products.

Capital market taems generally offer client some form of debt leveraged deriv to their clients. No idea what the credit market is like in Ireland but it's so big these days someone has to be dealing in it. Look into CDO's and CDI (Insurance). They are pretty straight forward products.

So who would supply it in Ireland?

AIB, BOI, RBS, Anglo IRish just off the top of my head. The majority of the big banks run their back office from Dublin but they would still have a knowledge of teh product. They'd be good to find out details of how its actually setteled.

Also check out google
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=derivatives+jobs+ireland&meta=

Thats for deriv jobs in ireland. It'll list some companies who deal in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I have some notes I coud send you if you want? I do a Finance degree aswell.
    PM me.

Advertisement