Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying parts for a service

Options
  • 30-11-2006 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Looking ar servicing the car myself soon, have been reading up on it in books. When any of you are buying parts for a service eg oil filter, spark plugs, air filters etc, do you head to the motor factors with the part numbers or is all you need to do is ask for a filter for a Ford Focus etc... and the guy in the shop will know the exact match?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just tell them the year and exact model (and engine type/size) and they'll be fine. Occassionaly you'll find that your model could have one of two types of fuel filter for example in which case you have to do a visual comparison. Motors factors are'nt set up to use a cars chassis/engine number.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Looking ar servicing the car myself soon, have been reading up on it in books. When any of you are buying parts for a service eg oil filter, spark plugs, air filters etc, do you head to the motor factors with the part numbers or is all you need to do is ask for a filter for a Ford Focus etc... and the guy in the shop will know the exact match?

believe it or not Ford parts are chepaer than motor factors for items like filters etc.plus if your car has a Zetec engine you have to buy 5w30 oil & most motor factor don't stock it;)
    i got an oil filter in main dealer for 98 mondeo for €4.50 motor factors are about €7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well I go to a place in Cavan, there is two places and buy the parts and my mate does the work for about 80 euro. About to get car done in next few weeks so will fill you in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

depends on the car. tell him it's a toyota corolla 1.3 petrol and he'll say grand. if it's a corolla 1.3 xr import you need to be more specific. safest way is bring the old parts with you. on a bike, presumably.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I did a service on mine during the summer - I got the plugs, air filter and oil filter (remember to get a sump washer) in the dealer's service dept. for cheaper than Halfords or the like.

I went to a small independent motor factors for the oil - €25 for 5L. All told I think the parts and oil were about €60.

Just make sure you've plenty of rags etc. for when the spanners fall straight into the basin of drained oil. :mad:

A Haynes manual for your car is good if you've never done it before - will show you exactly where everything is and what you need.

Lastly be careful jacking the car up, make sure you use suitable jacking points. Chock the back wheels before you start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Double-post, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Be sure to buy reputable parts. Some stuff available from motor factors is sub-standard. If it seems too cheap then maybe there is a good reason.

Advertisement