Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tito Ortiz v Chuck Lidell

• 30-11-2006 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd stick something up on it since this time next month the fight will be happening. UFC have a top notch site promoting the fight at http://66.ufc.com/

They expect to do a million buys. 2006 has been UFC's year for sure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think Tito's goin to do it this time, as good as Chuck is I think Tito's gotten better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I am supreised that they haven't launced the PPV's over here and the u.k. I know they show them on Bravo a week later (for free) but, with the popularity UFC has and the lack of boxing on PPV these days I would have thougt they might have tried to make in roads. I certainly wouldn't mind shelling out to watch it live witha few of the lads. I was in Canada this summer and watched Ortiz v. Shamrock in a bar. The turnout was huge.

I think Tito might get spiked in this one coming off of realitively easy matches with Shamrock. Liddell wil be a big step up from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I back the iceman for this one-his knockout power is DEVASTATING.The only way I can see tito winning is if he can ground chuck and manage to keep him grounded which is very hard to do with chuck.
    If UFC47 was anything to go by I think its going to be another TKO for chuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

This one is really tough to call. Tito has made a chump of Shamrock latley for sure, but Shamrock isn't in Chuckies league anymore.

I'm sure it will do very close to a million buys, which will make UFC officially more popular than boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Chuck Lidell is slight favourite with the bookmakers.

Also slightly off topic you can watch George St. Pierre V Matt Hughes UFC 65 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6582651502321510653

Slightly more off topic but UFC 63 (Hughes v Penn) is being unofficially reported at 700000 buys! Thats pretty amazing for a show that had a lot less emphasis on it than most UFC match ups.

If thats true God knows what GSP Hughes did and what Ortiz Lidell will do. To put it in context, Wrestlemania 21 did 650,000 domestic buys and typical do between 120000-150000 (domestic) for each ppv a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I am supreised that they haven't launced the PPV's over here and the u.k.

didnt Sky try it before? or was just for that PPV in London?

anywho, i'd rather watch with a week delay on Bravo than have to shell out for PPV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I hope Chuck beats Tito again. He should do if he avoids been taken down by Ortiz.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    didnt Sky try it before? or was just for that PPV in London?

anywho, i'd rather watch with a week delay on Bravo than have to shell out for PPV

Yeah Sky did a UFC London PPV but that was it. I know there are a lot out there who are happy to watch on a weeks delay on Bravo but, I definitley think there is a market for UFC to make good money on showing them live. I can't remember the last time I was able to get the lads round for a big card boxing PPV. Also, when its on the weeks delay some clown always manages to spoil the results for me :mad:

Also, when its on the weeks delay some clown always manages to spoil the results for me :mad:

Haha, you sure about that?! It's shown on less than a day's delay on Bravo. Event on the Sunday morning, 1am or so our time, and shown 21 hours later at 10pm. I don't think I could avoid the results for a whole week!

Fozzy wrote:
    Haha, you sure about that?! It's shown on less than a day's delay on Bravo. Event on the Sunday morning, 1am or so our time, and shown 21 hours later at 10pm. I don't think I could avoid the results for a whole week!

Sorry, I just checked and you're right. However, I have an explantion. I was away for Tito/ Shamrock 2 and told my dad to Sky+ it for me. It wasn't until about a week until the fight aired live that I could watch it by which time, said clown, had spoilt the results. For Tito/ Shamrock 3 I believe Bravo had it on delay for about 5 days which again led to a certain clown spoiling results. Hence why I didn't realise Bravo had the events so quickly. Mr. Clown will have to try really hard to spoil the results now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Red05

UFC 65 was on the next night on Bravo for free.

Red05 wrote:
    UFC 65 was on the next night on Bravo for free.

lol u're a bit late...its on for free the next night on bravo after every ppv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Whatever you do make sure you remove all clocks from where you watch it. Numerous times i've looked up at the clock saying 15minutes left of the show therefore realising it'll be a 1st round knock out. They way chuck is swingin lately i'm not makin the same mistake this time.
    Chuck to win. Easily my friends.:D

Kazooie wrote:
    Whatever you do make sure you remove all clocks from where you watch it. Numerous times i've looked up at the clock saying 15minutes left of the show therefore realising it'll be a 1st round knock out. They way chuck is swingin lately i'm not makin the same mistake this time.
    Chuck to win. Easily my friends.:D
    The ufc love stretching out their ppv's to fit the 3 hour slot exactly even if all fights finish in the first round

fatal wrote:
    The ufc love stretching out their ppv's to fit the 3 hour slot exactly even if all fights finish in the first round

Well normally what they do is just show the premlim fights if they have time to spare. UFC 65 is loaded card with Arlovski, Griffin and Bisping fighting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

what american channels show UFC?

Spike TV shows any weekly shows like The Ultimate Fighter, the main events are all ppv's

Well normally what they do is just show the premlim fights if they have time to spare. UFC 65 is loaded card with Arlovski, Griffin and Bisping fighting too.
    its going to be ****ing awesome

Bisping now as well! Sweet. It's about time Arlovski fought again. That guy is sick! He might have a glass chin but I love when he throws that overhand right. Get caught with that and you go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

My money's on Chuck to win if it doesn't go to ground. It Tito gets him down he'll just grind him down gradually.

• Advertisement

Chuck has the best sprawl in the buis. Even if he manages to get him grounded he'll have trouble keepin him down. Chuck is excellent at gettin the fight back standing.

Kazooie wrote:
    Chuck has the best sprawl in the buis. Even if he manages to get him grounded he'll have trouble keepin him down. Chuck is excellent at gettin the fight back standing.
    co-sign....if you somehow manage to get chuck down,his ability to use the cage is awesome and he will pop right back up.I LOVE chucks looping overhand punch....its DEVASTATING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Maturin

It's very hard to know where Tito is at coming up to this fight, forget about the Shamrock fights, no help, and then we had the close decision win over Forrest.

We know Chuck is the bomb, ask Randy or Babalu. However, we also have to remember that Tito took a few clean punches from Chuck at the end of the first round and didn't get knocked out..not yet at least..something which can't be said for Chucks last two opponent's..and when you look at how tough those guys are, and who they beat, and the beatings they took..it realy shows you how good Titos chin was, even back then. Then it took a barrage to make him fall, that kind of punishment from Chuck would stop an asteroid, and even the Tito wasn't out.

I think it's to early to tell if he's improved technically at all but I don't think it necessarily matters. His attitude is better, thats a biggy, and his game plan will almost certainly be better, none of this standing with Chuck (he made one half ass attempt to take Chuck down at 47), none of this macho I can stand with him, it's bull, the sport has come to far for people not to be well rounded but it's also come to far for anyone not to exploit there strenghts.
    If Tito doesn't get knocked out in the first two rounds, which is quite possible, he'll be able to ware the iceman out, he is stronger. I think it'll take about four take downs before he'll be able to keep Chuck down, certainly before he'll do any real damage but then he can start to work. It's how Randy beat him, although Randy was winning the stand up battle. That won't happen here.

Having said all that, I still think Chuck will knock him out as long as he doesn't start believing he is unbeatable, which there have been signs of. I know its a cop out, but I think Chuck will probably have the better game plan and that will clinch it.

One thing I will say, if Tito does win this, it says a lot about just how good Forrest Griffin is.

Thats what we call a continuity link boys, sorry for the length, I'm excited.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Everyone seems to be willing to say that the difference will be in the wrestling. If Tito can take him down and keep him down the Tito will win. If Chuck can stay standing them he will win.

This will sound very odd but for me the wildcard in this is, of all people, Matt Hammil. You can't just look at the people fighting, you need to look at who they have to train with. Hammil is a better wrestler than Tito. Tito has said this himself. In his own words "I have never trained with anyone who can take me down as easily as Matt can."

Think about it, the major hinging point in the fight just happens to be something that Tito has a fantastic training partner to work on with. I think Tito's wrestling will be much improved by the time this fight rolls around, and Tito was already a solid wrestler to begin with! As such, I think this will be a good scrap, I think Tito has a better chance than a lot of people are giving him!

Either way, I hope for a good night of fights!

I think this PPV is really going to put the UFC out there. I know that it is a fairly well recognised brand (in the u.s anyway) and has been doing increasingly good numbers but I have a feeling that if Tito/Chuck is going to be as good as we all think then UFC will probably do a huge number and certainly will have to be considered the big dog in town (in relation to boxing and wreslting).

I know WWE is staged but I really think Vince could learn a thing or two from how well Dana White and the UFC are promoting at the moment.

Any idea if there'll be repeats over here? It's being shown for the first time on New Year's Eve, so I doubt I'll be watchin. And I've never seen UFC ppv's being repeated on Bravo

Fozzy wrote:
    Any idea if there'll be repeats over here? It's being shown for the first time on New Year's Eve, so I doubt I'll be watchin. And I've never seen UFC ppv's being repeated on Bravo

Good point man. I'd never even thought about it being new years eve. Have Bravo confirmed there showing it on Dec 31st? I'm not missin it either way.

Fook New years, it comes once a year. Lidell/Ortiz comes about once every 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

UFC New Years Ever Party for the win me thinks. :D

• Advertisement

Fook New years, it comes once a year. Lidell/Ortiz comes about once every 3 years.

word..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We'll have to go two days without it being spoilt.

New Years Day, 9pm, Bravo.

Oh yes!

Cool, thats much better. I'll have to try really hard and not look up the result though.

Ah, some ****er will give it away at New Year's, I just know it!

Fozzy found an excellent article about the fight by Dave Meltzer online for another thread being discussed here. I thought some might be interested, so here it is in its entirety:

When Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz meet on Dec. 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, it will be the biggest match of the modern-era Ultimate Fighting Championship. In many ways, it will be the biggest fight in the United States in seven years in any genre, whether it be real fights (pro boxing) or the more popular choreographed fights (pro wrestling).

The big story for mixed martial arts in 2007 is going to be the repercussions of its rapid growth in 2006. Is Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) simply this year's fad? Or is it the beginning of a new major sport, with 2006 being the ground floor?

Looking at the past helps build a framework for the answers to those question.

The first Ortiz-Liddell fight in UFC was on April 2, 2004, in Las Vegas. While that may seem like just a couple of years ago to most people, when it comes to the mixed martial arts industry, it was the stone ages.

They were at the time battling over who was the top contender for the UFC light-heavyweight title. Liddell was supposed to get a title shot dating back to 2002, but obstacles got in the way.

First, UFC asked Liddell to step aside so Ortiz could fight Ken Shamrock. At the time, UFC was losing money and Ortiz vs. Shamrock was the biggest money fight they could put on.

Then, after beating Shamrock, Ortiz said he didn't want to fight Liddell, because they were friends, which Liddell says was an exaggeration.

Then there was a contract dispute, as Ortiz felt he should be paid more than the $80,000 guarantee and $80,000 win bonus of his contract.

Then there was a movie commitment.

Finally, UFC President Dana White got tired of waiting.

He decided to make Liddell the champion. He asked former heavyweight champion Randy Couture, 40 at the time, to drop to 205 pounds, and UFC would create an interim light-heavyweight champion. Ortiz wasn't officially stripped of his title, but the message was clear that unless Ortiz faced the winner, his title would be forgotten.

June 6, 2003, was to be Liddell's coronation as the top star. But Couture, a former Greco-Roman national champion in wrestling, shockingly outstruck Liddell standing, and took Liddell down and pounded on him, winning via ref stoppage in the third round.

With Liddell out of the picture, Ortiz came back for a unification match after a new deal was reached where he would get $125,000 as his guarantee and a $50,000 added win bonus. But on September 26, 2003, Couture scored his second upset, dominating Ortiz via superior wrestling. He won all five rounds, and almost symbolically, spanked Ortiz, literally, in the fifth round, leaving Ortiz in tears after the match.

So the two fighters, who were both supposed to beat Couture, were meeting in a grudge match years in the making. Liddell battered Ortiz with rapid punches in the second round of before the match had to be stopped, with Ortiz bloodied and clearly beaten. The show did about 105,000 buys on pay-per-view, which at the time was considered a huge success.

After beating Ortiz, Liddell went on to avenge his earlier loss and win the title from Couture. By getting a percentage of the more than 400,000 buys that the show did, Liddell and Couture became the first fighters in UFC history to top $1 million for a fight.

Ortiz shook off the loss to Liddell to win five straight fights, two of which, to Forrest Griffin and Vitor Belfort, could have gone either way.

Now, the Dec. 30 rematch sets the stage for the future. The growth of UFC, and to a lesser extent, the sport of mixed martial arts in North America, happened in the blink of an eye this year.

In April, UFC was growing fast enough that White was hoping to some day be on the same level as boxing and World Wrestling Entertainment on pay-per-view.

By the end of May, after putting together the return of early-90s legend Royce Gracie to face then-welterweight champion Matt Hughes in a battle of dominant fighters from UFC's two glory eras, they topped 600,000 buys. For North America, they were already ahead of every boxing event for the year except for the Oscar de la Hoya-Ricardo Mayorga fight.

On July 8th, they took another giant step when Ortiz faced Shamrock for the second time, in a match hyped by 13 weeks of the two coaching opposite teams on White's Ultimate Fighter reality TV show. The rematch did approximately 775,000 buys. Ortiz won quickly, but controversy over a quick stoppage led to a third match, this time on Spike TV on Oct. 10th.

Ortiz won the third match almost as quickly, but the real news was that, according to Nielsen ratings, 1,598,000 males 18-34 watched the two-hour special featuring that match. In that same age bracket, 1,223,000 watched Game 1 of the World Series.

Liddell vs. Ortiz is expected to the biggest PPV event of any kind in years. The current industry projections of 1.2-million buys will be more than any boxing match since Lennox Lewis vs. Mike Tyson in 2002.

While UFC is the major league brand and the only one doing strong numbers, there are a multitude of competitors on the horizon:

PRIDE — Until this year, the Japan-based Pride organization was the biggest MMA company in the world. Their big events ran on prime time on the Fuji Network, equivalent to one of the big four networks in the U.S. Its highest-rated match, held on Dec. 31, 2005, had 30 million viewers.

But even though MMA fans will say Pride has better fighters and puts on better shows than UFC, they have not been able to break through in North America. Their PPV events draw less than one-tenth of what UFC's do. And most of the recent news has been bad. Several months ago, due to a scandal, the Fuji Network canceled its contract with Pride. Despite its popularity, no other network has picked it up. Without television exposure, the company's popularity in Japan will dwindle greatly. In addition, the company's most charismatic star, Mirko Cro Cop, is negotiating to come to UFC. Pride comes to the United States on February 24th for a PPV show at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

ELITE XTREME COMBAT — This group hasn't run a show yet, but is already a key player having signed a multi-year contract with Showtime. The group is headed by boxing promoter Gary Shaw. Its debut event will be on February 10th, headlined by Frank Shamrock vs. Renzo Gracie. Shamrock, 34, who was UFC's biggest star from 1998 to 99, but has not fought against a top opponent in more than six years, is one of the sport's top personalities.

INTERNATIONAL FIGHT LEAGUE — This group has a different concept, running MMA shows using a team concept. IFL, which has a television contract with Fox Sports Net, has a 12-team league, with each team fielding fighters in five different weight classes in a best-of-five series. The teams consist of fighters who are generally the level below that of UFC and Pride, but are coached by big names from the past, such as former UFC champions Pat Miletich, Bas Rutten and Maurice Smith. Its championship match takes place December 29th in Uncasville, Conn., where Miletich's Quad Cities Silverbacks face Rutten's Los Angeles Anacondas. They have an extensive schedule at major arenas in 2007, starting January 19th in Oakland.

BODOG FIGHT — This company has limited exposure, with its only TV being on The Men's Channel. It ran its first PPV event on December 2 in Vancouver, Canada, drawing few buys, and creating almost no interest even in the MMA world. It would not be taken seriously except its owner, Calvin Ayre, is a billionaire because of his Internet gambling website, bodog.com. He lost money on the first set of tapings and first PPV, with the idea the fighting is simply a way to expose his Bodog brand name. They scored a big coup when signing Russia's Fedor Emelianenko, Pride's world heavyweight champion and generally considered the best fighter in the world, for their March 3rd PPV event.

STRIKE FORCE — This is the strongest of the regional promotions that have sprung up across the United States. The company is based in San Jose, and with the exception of UFC, draws the biggest crowds of any promotion to live events. The March 10 show at the HP Pavilion, with Frank Shamrock knocking out Cesar Gracie in 21 seconds, drew 18,265 fans — still the North American record for the sport. The biggest drawing card is San Shou champion Cung Le, whose fights, with his flashy kicks and crazy takedowns, often resemble a movie fight scene more than a MMA fight. They are also attempting to expand nationally, for a show in April or May, with Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni headlining the first PPV event.

WORLD EXTREME CAGE FIGHTING — Zuffa, the parent company of UFC, purchased this company a few weeks ago. No plans have been announced other than White saying UFC and WEC would be kept separate.

WORLD WRESTLING ENTERTAINMENT -- Shane McMahon, the son of WWE owner Vince McMahon, has been a long-time fan and years ago, when UFC wasn't doing so well, there was very preliminary talks about buying that company. But the company is in discussions about getting into the MMA game now, which Linda McMahon confirmed at a recent company quarterly investors conference. While pro wrestling and MMA are entirely different animals, they share a lot of the same fan base, and it's not a coincidence that the WWE's decline in PPV buys for recent shows coincided with UFC's rise. There is also a dangerous cycle of long-time fans of WWE moving to UFC this year because it has done a better job at what makes pro wrestling click, the creation of new stars and building of artificial grudges and storylines. While White has brushed off most of his competition, he has admitted that the day Vince McMahon decides to get in the game, and gets weekly television, he will immediately become a serious player.

Dave Meltzer is the creator and writer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, a weekly publication featuring in-depth coverage of mixed martial arts and pro wrestling. For more information, go to www.wrestlingobserver.com

^^thanks for that...interesting read
    WWE wanting to create an mma league..........I wouldnt rule it out at all

• Advertisement

Here is a link for the UFC All access show (which I don't think we get over here) for Tito Ortiz where they follow him for a day training. I think it was for the Shamrock fight this year. Its quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU2WCuPn9BY

They have a bunch of others up and I'd particuliarly recommend the Matt Hughes one (for Rachelle Leah dressed as a cow girl!) and Rich Franklins (where they show his really really intense work out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

watched this earlier. great fight
    both guys gave good accounts for themselves but Liddel won out with a stoppage in the 3rd round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Injury update from wrestling observer:

-Chuck Liddell suffered a torn ACL three weeks ago, which he kept quiet until after the fight.

--Tito Ortiz may have broken a toe throwing a kick. He was getting it looked at last night. He was back from the hospital pretty quick and was walking fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Bring on Rampage for Chuck Liddell!! Can`t wait to see Quinton Jackson and Mirko Cro Cop in the UFC!!

Just finished watching the PPV, was very good imo....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It was stopped a bit too soon for me. Chuck wasn't doing any damage with those punches and Tito was trying to position himself to grab a leg.

Still a good fight, but stopped too soon.

Overall, there was a bit too much stand up on the ppv for my liking. Good enough though. I did think the main event was stopped too soon, especially when you consider what Tito survived in the first round. I'm wondering whether he asked the ref to stop it, as he didn't complain at all afterwards in any way

Typical American thing to do, trying to pass off Crocop as his surname! I suppose Arlovski's about the hardest name they can manage! Rampage is the exact kind of guy UFC likes, he's a real character and you can bet on them doin a load of interviews with him leading up to his debut and the inevitable rematch with Chuck

Fozzy wrote:
    Overall, there was a bit too much stand up on the ppv for my liking. Good enough though. I did think the main event was stopped too soon, especially when you consider what Tito survived in the first round. I'm wondering whether he asked the ref to stop it, as he didn't complain at all afterwards in any way
    /QUOTE]

I thought it got stopped a little early too.

A wrestling/MMA journalist Oliver Copp was at it closeup and he said the stoppage came at the right time however.

From what I've heard from others, a fight can look (and sound) quite different in the flesh than just on tv. So maybe that was an example of it.

Overall I really liked the show. The main event was really good but I thought generally the under card was entertaining too.

Still though, if you look at it, a lot of Chuck's punches were landing on Tito's arm. I was expecting a little more from the undercard to be honest. Arlovski basically won because of a cheap shot when Cruz probably didn't understand what the ref was saying. I know that Bisping is better than what he showed in his match. Pity Forrest couldn't have another 3 rounder, his matches are usually some of the most entertaining

In terms of booking for the future I guess there were negatives with Lidell getting injured and Leben but particuliarly Forest losing. Then again the 205 division is so packed, they have alot of options.

As for the undercard, I enjoyed the Bisping Schafer fight while it lasted. It was really competitive and Schafer was certainly no jobber. He would cause most alot of problems.

I loved the finish of the Leben McDonald fight and the Jardine Griffin fight. They weren't classic long fights or anything but the finishes were pretty spectaculiar and surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Fozzy wrote:

Typical American thing to do, trying to pass off Crocop as his surname! I suppose Arlovski's about the hardest name they can manage!

That is a bit harsh! UFC would be insane to call him anything else... While they have a fair chance of casual fan's knowing who Mirko Cro Cop was, hardly anyone but die-hard's would know who Mirko Filipovic is! That would be like bringing in Fedor and announcing him as Mr. Emelianenko!!

I agree that the Tito v Chuck fight looked like it was stopped too early, but afterwards even Tito defended the decision and said that he wasn`t defending himself and that he agreed with the decision...

However I thought that other fights were let go way too long... Forest Griffin should have been stopped way earlier as should have Marcio Cruz who was in no position to defend himself for at least five straight punches. And most definitely Tony De Souza should have been stopped in the first round of his fight with Thiago ALves. I know Mc Carthy is their top referee, but I think a lot of the times he lets fights go way too long when there is no defence whatsoever.

I marked out big for the Jardine and Mcdonald wins though... I hope Leben is dropped soon. I`m sick of Joe ROgan talking about how tough this kid is only for him to be beat all the time! Bring on Rampage as the King of 205!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Slightly off topic here but I was channel surfing the other day and caught the end of match on "Fightclub" on Eurosport.
    One of the contenders got knocked out and to my shock it was Shaun O'Haire!!!
    Fightclub appears to be some sort of Thai Boxing comp.
    Thought O'Haire would be too old for that sh1t?

I thought overall the PPV was pretty solid. I did think there was some major disparity in when fights were stopped. Arlovski landed 5/6 really hard punches straight to the head, whilst Cruz's head was wedged on th matt( probably giving shocking reverb)from where I was looking it was brutal, yet the punches that Chuck was landing on Tito in the 3rd were, for the most part landing on Ortiz's arms. I wonder if top fighters are protected at all more.

Was pleased to finally see bisping in action. Followed him in Ultimate Fighter and always liked the look of him. Thought he was pretty impressive and with a bit of work can be a real solid fighter at 205. Loved when he flipped Schafer of his back.

The pay scale for the show was as follows:

Top 10 money makers:

Liddell: $250,000 (Also gets a percentage of the buy rate which has yet to be disclosed ever as far as I know is rumored to be a dollar plus for every buy)
    Ortiz: $210,000 (He also gets a percentage of the buy rate)
    Arlovski: $145,0O0
    Bisping: $24,0O0
    Alves: $22,000
    Gonzaga: $18,000
    Griffin: $16,000
    Okami: $16,000
    Jardine: $14,000
    MacDonald: $10,000

Slightly off topic but UFC related, George St. Pierre is reported on the UFC website to be out of his fight with Serra at the next UFC due to injury.

Bad news for UFC for the upcoming ppv but especially if the injury is severe with the Canadian show coming up in March.

I guess if he was in shape for March they could have him fight Serra then and on the same card you could do Dieago Sanchez versus Matt Hughes for the number one contendorship. It probably wouldn't draw as well as a Huges v St.Pierre fight though.

The pay scale for the show was as follows:

Top 10 money makers:

Liddell: $250,000 (Also gets a percentage of the buy rate which has yet to be disclosed ever as far as I know is rumored to be a dollar plus for every buy)
    Ortiz: $210,000 (He also gets a percentage of the buy rate)
    Arlovski: $145,0O0
    Bisping: $24,0O0
    Alves: $22,000
    Gonzaga: $18,000
    Griffin: $16,000
    Okami: $16,000
    Jardine: $14,000
    MacDonald: $10,000

Suprised to see Griffin recieve so little. I know that Liddell, Ortiz and Arlovski were the big names on that card but, Forrest seems to be a big fan favourite and I am sure his fight was one which made it easier for people to shell out the $39.95 for the main event. Just my opinion though.

What are peoples thoughts on where Tito goes form here. Having fought so many times this year I think we may see him disappear for 6-9 months to rest up but possibly with a view that Chuck drops to someone else that he feels he can have a crack at. No doubt having Jenna Jameson waiting on the side can't hurt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement