Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Simpson's any good??

• 30-11-2006 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Personally i think the last few seasons have for the most part been well below par campared to the older ones....i heard a rumour that the simpsons were being taken over by Seth McFarlane....is there any truth at all in this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Well below par" is being generous... they're atrocious! :eek:

Seth MacFarlane taking over 'The Simpsons'? I REALLY doubt it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Oh god, I cringe when I watch them.It really pains me. I'm embarrassed for them. *tumble weed constantly blowing as YET another joke falls flat* No comic timing, obnoxious Homer. stupid story lines. Just lacks any charm, wit or spark. I also HATE the digital animation. BOO-urns!

RIP Simspons pre-2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

after season 10 they got ****.

crappier animation
    homer not funny

they ruined the show but they are more popular than ever and with the movie coming out next year they are sure to make a killing. pity the trailer made me lose any interest i had of going to see the film, not worth 6 euros to see that ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

new Simpsons in a word. bollocks

i gave up after 5 episodes. fed up of hoping each new season will be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I still watch it the odd time if it were on but wouldn't go setting my video recorder or anything for it, still get the DVDs though. The new stuff is disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ruu wrote:
    ..still get the DVDs though. The new stuff is disappointing.
    Yep, i've seasons 1 - 5 on DVD and will probably buy seasons 6 - 9 soon. And season 10 when it does come out... but i'll stop there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ive found that every episode in this season has had 1 good line in it that makes me laugh

but nothing to old simpsons like Scorpeo episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Personally I think they're still fantastic. I'd still pick it above Family Guy. I just don't see why people are so opposed to anything after series 10. Yes there have been some poor episodes, but there was a similar ratio in the earlier seasons

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i would definatly not put it above family guy, the new simpsons are nowhere near as good

yeah it's currently in last place in my list of top5 cartoon shows.

1. south park
    2. futurama
    3. family guy
    4. american dad
    5. simpsons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

After about 1998/1999 I feel it started to go downhill. The new episodes are pathetic, IMO, and it surprises me that there is such a huge demand for new ones when the current ones are so crap. :confused:

Is it something as simple as the yanks being easier to entertain than us or is it the more obvious suggestion of money??????????

I would want to have absolutely nothing to do on a Sunday evening before I would watch the "new" episodes.

wouldnt even make my top 5

Venture Brothers, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, hell i'd even put Sponge Bob Squarepants ahead of The Simpsons these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think it started going downhill when Phil Hartman was shot in 98. Then Maggie Roswell left in 99. The show was doomed from then on. Homer making stupid jokes at Maude's funderal? sums it up from then on really.

Not to mention the addition of digitally inked animation. Bah! *strokes his Bart cel*

User45701 wrote:
    ive found that every episode in this season has had 1 good line in it that makes me laugh

but nothing to old simpsons like Scorpeo episode

Brilliant episode, calls for a quote. :)

Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.
    Hank: Hammocks! My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that!? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places: There's the Hammock Hut; that's on third. There's Hammocks 'R Us; that's on third, too. You got Put Your Butt There; that's on third. Swing Low Sweet Chariot...that might, as a matter of fact, they're all on the same complex. It's the Hammock Complex down on third.
    Homer: Ooh the Hammock District!
    Hank: That's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭OliviaM

I think they're still funny as hell! And, Seth Macfarlane has nothing to do with the Simpsons. In fact, Family Guys popularity has kinda forced the Simpsons to get a little edgier than they used to. It's still one of the best shows on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Ruu wrote:
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.
    Hank: Hammocks! My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that!? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places: There's the Hammock Hut; that's on third. There's Hammocks 'R Us; that's on third, too. You got Put Your Butt There; that's on third. Swing Low Sweet Chariot...that might, as a matter of fact, they're all on the same complex. It's the Hammock Complex down on third.
    Homer: Ooh the Hammock District!
    Hank: That's right.

Classic episode - the best Simpsons episode ever, IMO :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Kojak wrote:
    Classic episode - the best Simpsons episode ever, IMO :D:D

Would come a very close second place to my favourite. They don't really show it anymore for obvious reasons but the one with the twin towers where homers car is clamped below them always reduced me to a giggling wreck. It's bringing a grin to my face now just thinking about it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Tbh the simpsons has totally passed it's peak but thats not to say that they're not holding back all their comic moments for... THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!!

The movies gonna be ****e isn't it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yes it is, ~nop~. Yes it is.
    Some people on Boards get irritated by these "The Simpsons has become crap" threads because of their broken record quality. Well I don't think it can be said enough. There are no words to describe how bad The Simpsons has become. The most recent episode I endured - and it was endurance - was the one where the family go to Italy to pick up Burns's car and stay in a town where Sideshow Bob is now mayor. Sideshow Bob has become a father and his baby son keeps screaming "Vendetta! Vendetta!" and that's pretty much the highlight joke of the episode. Pathetic.
    Homer is not even remotely funny - I first noticed the decline in this once great character in the episode where Skinner and Krabappel get it on. The part where he says (I'm paraphrasing) "her name's Krabappel? Why didn't somebody tell me? I've been calling her Crandall! Aw, I've been makin' an idiot of myself!" That line kinda sums up the direction he's taken - pure sitcom jokes. Also, old jokes are being recycled. Before, when this happened, they would self-reference and take the piss out of themselves. But that doesn't even happen any more. People need to get angry. Complacency isn't going to help the situation. ;):(

And another thing that irks me is all this reality stuff: Barney going teetotal, Apu marrying and having kids, Maud Flanders DYING?! It's not a soap opera - lighten up. I know Maud Flanders died because the woman who voiced her fell out with the writers or something, but just get someone else to do the voice, for fu*k's sake!

I've also been looking at an old thread about this very issue. Someone pointed out that there are those who keep watching and insisting it's good just to say that they have seen every episode. There are also those who are in denial, though - it's The Simpsons, the most brilliant show ever (which it certainly once was) so it can't be disimproving. Bit of a hands-covering-ears-head-shaking "bla bla bla bla I can't hear you!" scenario. Like my brothers: "The new episodes are f*cking class, man!" Bless 'em. In their 30s and unable to let go of when they were in their late teens/early 20s and The Simpsons was actually good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think it picked up (a little) around Season 16 and has remained at that level to date. Season 9-15 were painful viewing in general. These days however it manages to just be merely unfunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

Dudess wrote:
    There are also those who are in denial, though - it's The Simpsons, the most brilliant show ever (which it certainly once was) so it can't be disimproving. Bit of a hands-covering-ears-head-shaking "bla bla bla bla I can't hear you!" scenario.

That was me for a long time but I've finally realised that what I've been watching for the last few years is not only not as good as the earlier stuff, its actually quite bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, after the latest Christmas special (a particularly unfunny episode involving Gil coming to live with the Simpsons), one of my brothers faced up to reality - The Simpsons has been sh*t for a number of years now. My other brother admitted it wasn't a good episode but has yet to admit that it's one of many "not good" episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Yeah I've been going through entire episodes without laughing... The Simpson family interact with someone famous... sigh again... Famous celebrity appears...
    I always thought that celebrity voices should be impersonated.. That way you can really take the piss out of them, hit them where it hurts - if they are actually on the show you know they have their permission so pretty boring

Though... "The Mississippi Reagan"? Mwah! Ahh I'm laughing even now thinking about it - but an outstanding joke in an otherwise dull episode... (The Simpsons help Krusty become elected)

Bring back the brilliant satire of "Homer Simpson Bad Man"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Anyone watch 18.11 (Revenge is a dish...)

Have to admit I thought it was pretty good and had me lol'ing a fair few times.

"Willie, clean up this mess!" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

the best episode is Homer's Enemy

Frank Grimes: Simpson! you have a 5:13
    *Homer checks his watch*
    Frank Grimes: I said you have a 5:13!
    *homer checks watch again*
    Frank Grimes: no, a 5:13! *points to Homer's beeping console*
    Homer: oooh a 5:13 *walks into console room and pours water over the console* that got it

what a classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Been watching some episodes from season 18 recently and I reckon they are slightly improved from the last few season, but thats not hard really.
    Whats really p*ssing me off is the constantly used theme that Homer pisses Marge off, they split up and then get back together. Talk about flogging a dead horse :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

Tomorrow nights episode doesn't look to good either.

The perfect storm?whats all that about.

Marge: Homer, is this how you pictured married life?
    Homer: Yeah, pretty much, except we drove around in a van solving mysteries.
    :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Yep, also I think that homer and marge's voices have chnged a bit. Marge *really* irritates me when she talks now.

It's sad to think that nearly half of the Simpsons episodes have been crap.

The last good season was season 12

A quote from season 12:

Homer: Oh no, an anti-escape orb! [grabs one of the
    plastic forks from the boat and pops the orb]
    Huh. That was easy.
    [back in the kidnappers' headquarters]
    Number 2: Why did you think a big balloon would stop people?
    Scientist: Shut up! That's why!

At this stage it should be cancelled, and every season after 13 should be burned.

• Advertisement

Watched it last night and thought it was excellent, don't know when it will air on Sky. It is titled 'Springfield Up'.
    "Springfield Up "
    1811 - SI-1807
    Original Airdate: 02/18/07
    A famous documentarian walks us through the lives of Springfield's prominent inhabitants (Homer, Marge, Moe, Frink, etc...) from childhood to the present. After a failed attempt at convincing the filmmaker that he is a millionaire, Homer is able to regain his pride by hearing how the townsfolk envy his family life.

watched it tonight and it didnt grab me at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Mossy Monk wrote:
    watched it tonight and it didnt grab me at all :(

I agree, another immediately forgetable episode.

I think Homer is actually starting to p*ss me off as opposed to being funny :confused:

i'd say the simpsons are still funny to people under the age of 15. but the thing is they aren't funny to the majority of people over that age.

whereas the old simpsons it didn't matter if you were 9 or 99 they were pure gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

yeah I do wonder if they have gotten crapper, or have I gotten older? A lot of the new ones are too centered around Homer. Bring Back Hans Scorpio, I want to work for a man that keeps suger and possibly cream in his pockets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

My first viewing of the Ricky Gervais one is currently underway: Worst. Episode. Ever. Seriously.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

actually just watched that episode tonight...

very very painful.

Is it just me or do none of the new episodes actually tell a story?

the humour is lost when its all just so random?

Advertisement