Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Laptop Purchase

Options
  • 30-11-2006 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all.

I purchased a Siemens Laptop in Harvey Norman for €800.
    The laptop had not been 100% since i purchased it & also since I have bought this 3 days ago, ive noticed a HP in the store for €850 of better specs etc.

I have carried the laptop back to the store this evening & tried to explain there is a problem with it, in the hope that they would replace it with the HP at a price. They tested it & found nothing wrong....

They have told me that they cannot replace the Siemens if they cannot find anything wrong with it....
    Are they only filling me with bluff, or is there a buyers right with a 15 of 30 day money back guarantee with their products.

Any suggestions please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

What do you mean its not 100% ?? what sort of problems are you having with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I work in Xtra Vision and basically if it is in within 28 days,you can bring it back and swap it for something else if you don't want the product. You can't get a refund unless it is faulty. I presumed it was something similar most places. I reckon they should swap it for something else,and if its faulty then you have a right to get a refund or exchange. But they said they found no fault...what exactly do you mean by "not 100%".?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

If its not faulty, its entirely at their discretion what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tranceenigma

When I say its not 100%. It freezes intermittently.
    Also upon booth up, the fan will noise rather strangely, the issue here is that it will only happen on the rare occasion, so do i really have a leg to stand on if they don't find a fault in it.

Cheers for the advice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

the issue here is that it will only happen on the rare occasion, QUOTE]

You only have it 3 days, whats a rare occasion on 3 days ? once ?.... for such a large purchase you should have made sure its the one you wanted, just because they have a better spec one now, thems the breaks im afraid unless its defective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

If it is freezing even intermittantly you should have some record of this in the event viewer logs.

start >run - mmc

console > add remove snap in > add > event viewer > finish

try looking at System and or application and see if one or other of the apps is hanging, if so they should either swap it for another or try and repair/ reinstall the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

when you say the fan makes a strange noise on boot up.. can you be clearer? Does it sound like its banging or sound like a banshee? Or does it just whirr louder than normal? If the latter then this is normal for most laptops and even some PC's Servers if they are designed that way.

If some applications lock up or crash.. again... nothing phsyically wrong the the machine.
    You just have to accept that this is what comes with computers. Even Macs have application freeze etc.

Sounds like you just wish you had spent a little extra for a little extra spec and got a HP instead. And you must be new to computers or you would know that these things are just the way things are.
    Here... read this
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/consumer_rights_and_protection/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

You wouldn't expect a machine you bought three days to start locking up if you haven't installed anything on it. If it's only got the software that came on it, and that's got conflicts somewhere that's causing it to crash, then as a package it's not fit for it's purpose.
    On the other hand, if you've installed anything else on it and that's crashing, it's not really their responsibility. Just my two euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

if they cant find a fault they're not obliged to do anything ,

if you insist there is a fault then they can send it to the manufacturer to confirm that fault before doing anything , so if your 100% sure theres something wrong with it then get them to do that

that said i have to agree with Saruman's sentiment

Advertisement