Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles vs. The Monkees

Options
  • 30-11-2006 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Seems like an unusual thread i know but it all stems from an arguement i had with a guy recently, i would've never considered them in the same league but since that arguement i'm intrigued to see which band people prefer!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

That's like comparing Led Zeppelin with Spinal Tap.

No contest really - Beatles all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

the monkees have merit undoubtedly, BUT they were a manufactured pop band which had hits(2 or 3) written for them, tell your friend to look up their origins, they were created for a tv show to cash in on the beatles success, the talent while good was limited and not within the same dimension, never mind league as the Beatles, and this is from a Stones Fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Your taking the piss here right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

The Beatles vs The Beach Boys would be a lot more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

elvis would win that, the beatles couldn't kung fu kick like the king
    Takin Care o'Business baby tcb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

There are a lot of people out there who see no difference between the monkees and the beatles. Reminds me of something Nicky Wire said before about people in Wales seeing Elvis and Shakin Stevens as being on a par. But then again most people like sh1t music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey its all catchy pop! ;)

What next - James Blunt v Scott Walker?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Maybe Beatles vs God!

hey didn't Lennon some similar suggestion?

and it should be Monkees vs monkeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the monkees made a lot of great music, and an amazingly weird movie (Head).

Also Mike Nesmith's mum invented Tipp-Ex!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

There is no contest here, The Beatles.

The Beatles vs. Beach Boys would be a closer contest alright but The Beatles would win for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

First off, Beatles obviously are better. That goes without saying, but.......

I like The Monkees. The TV show was a good laugh and they did make some pretty catchy pop songs. The only reason why the two are compared is because little american girls in the sixties fancied them both. Music critics never mentioned them.

As far as the Zeppelin/Tap debate.....tough one. Both good but Spinal Tap are England's loudest band. In terms of music - zeppelin. In terms of ludicrousness we have Nigel Tufnell and the unbendable bread, or Zeppelin going to dinner with Stevie Wonder dressed as women. Zep all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

kinaldo wrote:

Yeah, Tap wins hands down! No contest at all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Beatles win hands down but I wouldn't dismiss the monkees just cos the were "Manufactured" they had some great songs (albeit )written for them but they were still good pop tunes.
    I hate the way the monkees are used as a scapegoat for all the manufactured westlife type Dross that's released today.
    The monkees were set up to make cash but they were "new" & "different" at the time .(even though they were a rip off)
    Nowadays manufactured "bands" are set up with the purpose of just keeping things the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

kinaldo wrote:

No contest really - Beatles all the way.
    Or Elvis to Big Tom

Kingsize wrote:
    Beatles win hands down but I wouldn't dismiss the monkees just cos the were "Manufactured" they had some great songs (albeit )written for them but they were still good pop tunes.
    I hate the way the monkees are used as a scapegoat for all the manufactured westlife type Dross that's released today.
    The monkees were set up to make cash but they were "new" & "different" at the time .(even though they were a rip off)
    Nowadays manufactured "bands" are set up with the purpose of just keeping things the same
    not to mention the fact that they could play their own instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Most people who dismiss the Monkees cant name 5 of their songs, so I just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

GreeBo wrote:
    Most people who dismiss the Monkees cant name 5 of their songs, so I just ignore them.

What, they Had 5 songs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

monkees = parody

beatles = arguably the best band of all time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What aspects are we comparing?

The Beatles wrote most of their own stuff, the Monkees didn't. Is that it?

Both bands could play, despite earlier remarks.

The Beatles sold sheds more records.

The Beatles existed for longer - or did they? Didn't the Monkees tour in the 90s?

The Beatles are probably better, but the Monkees had the better songs - they had the greatest song writers in the USA at their disposal, so no surprise there. Songs like Last train to Clarkesville, and Pleasant Valley Sunday are without equal in the Beatles catalogue.

*cowers in corner ready for rebuttal*

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote:
    The Beatles are probably better, but the Monkees had the better songs - they had the greatest song writers in the USA at their disposal, so no surprise there. Songs like Last train to Clarkesville, and Pleasant Valley Sunday are without equal in the Beatles catalogue.
    i'm not a beatles fan but even i can see that paragraph is opinion and not fact.
    noone is knocking the monkees they just aren't as good as the beatles, it's a fact that Stones Fans, Doors Fans and Queen Fans have had to get used to. and all three of those bands are better than than Monkees

a loyal stones fan like myself can name you ten Beatles songs that i would consider better than those two from a neutral standpoint, i cant state that they are better but i'd say i won't be short on support if you took a poll. (and yes i have most of the beatles catalogue and the monkees too)
    1 Can't Buy Me Love
    2 Hello GoodBye
    3 Revolution
    4 Here Comes The Sun
    5 Come Together
    6 We Can Work it Out
    7 A Hard Days Night
    8 Penny Lane
    9 Hey Jude
    10 Let it Be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

i'm not a beatles fan but even i can see that paragraph is opinion and not fact.

Opinion is all any one can voice here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

GreeBo wrote:
    Heh, you didn't pick the number '5' by accident I'll warrant. Pretty much everyone can name the usual four. Plenty of underrated stuff after you get those four out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

GreeBo wrote:
    There's avery distinct reason for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

nipplenuts wrote:
    What aspects are we comparing?

The Beatles wrote most of their own stuff, the Monkees didn't. Is that it?

Both bands could play, despite earlier remarks.

The Beatles sold sheds more records.

The Beatles existed for longer - or did they? Didn't the Monkees tour in the 90s?

*cowers in corner ready for rebuttal*

What a stupid statement. Does that mean that Britney Spears has better songs than the Beatles too? Last Train to Clarksville is a simple, catchy mid-tempo song the style of which invented and then thrown-away by Lennon and McCartney.
    The simple fact is that Catchy DOES NOT directly mean good, else three blind mice is the greatest song ever. I really think you need to buy more albums and listen to more music if you belive that.
    BUT just to drop to that level for a moment: She's a Woman (A B-Side), Can't buy me Love, Help. Off the top of my head far superior versions of what you deign to be a good song.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Beatles of course but the monkees are class, singalong chorus in daydream believer is amazing. Also they won me a prize for who missed out on a part in the monkees, Stephen Stills (i.e. Crosby Stills & Nash).

The comparison is often a joke on TV, "yeah the beatles were just a rip-off of the monkees"

some interesting bits here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkees

As for the naming of 5 songs. It is true most can't. Plenty of elvis fans cannot name a single elvis album either. I would find it hard to name 5 doors songs, and thanks to mp3s I know the names of feck all recent music, even stuff I love that does have correct tagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

davyjose wrote:
    Does that mean that Britney Spears has better songs than the Beatles too?.
    NO! beatles had more no.1's, now westlife, thats a different story wayyyy more no.1's so have to be better;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭seand333

Even though i think the beatles are definetely overrated, i still think theres no comparison betwee them and the monkees, monkees were like a good karaoke band.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rubadub wrote:
    As for the naming of 5 songs. It is true most can't. Plenty of elvis fans cannot name a single elvis album either. I would find it hard to name 5 doors songs, and thanks to mp3s I know the names of feck all recent music, even stuff I love that does have correct tagging.

My point was not that they didnt know they names, its that the wouldnt have heard 5 Monkees songs.

I find that the Monkees are dismissed without being given a chance.
    "Oh sure they were a manufactured band, did you know they didnt even play any instruments?"

- Randy Scouse Git
    - Porpoise Song
    - She
    - The Kind of Girl I Could Love
    - You Just May Be the One
    - Words
    - What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?
    - Pleasant Valley Sunday
    - Kicks

All songs that you should give a listen to if you have not before.
    <edit>
    rubadub wrote:
    Plenty of elvis fans cannot name a single elvis album either.
    Aloha From Hawaii is all you really need :)

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote:
    NO! beatles had more no.1's, now westlife, thats a different story wayyyy more no.1's so have to be better;)
    thats incorrect Westlife have had more singles debut at number one than the beatles, however the beatles had 17 uk no 1's to westlife 14 so the beatles are still ahead of them but Elvis has the most with 21

Advertisement