Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons laptop problem

Options
  • 30-11-2006 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi , This is my 1st post here and I hope someone can help , I purchased an 'Advent' laptop 9 Months ago from Dixons in Ballincollig Cork , My Daughter needed it for her 2nd level courses . approx 3 Months later the screen started to appear as 'coloured lines ' and sometimes a reboot would sort it eventually it would just sound like it was starting but no detail on the screen , We returned to Dixons and were told to call a number in the UK ( a call centre) after spending a total of 1 hour 40 mins waiting and talking to some operative We agreed to have the machine collected and sent for repair or replace this took a Month and the Laptop was returned having been repaired , a few Months later the same symptoms and some work My Daughter had been working on was lost last evening , again screen full of coloured lines . Back to Dixons Today and met a staff member who was polite and helpfull BUT followed the 'company line ' and insisted I must send the machine back to UK again by calling a UK based call centre , I have no confidence in their ability to repair this machine and believe there is an inherent problem with it , I have said I am not prepared to do this a 2nd time , and now We have stalemate , I also requested the Regional Manager's contact details which were refused to me , I might add I have in the last 2 Months purchased 2 LCD TVs from the same outlet as well as several smaller items .Is this typical Dixons 'customer service ' and where do you guys think I should go from here .
    G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It is not typical in my experience, even though I was a total cnut to them in the past. Afaik, PC Service Call (now called TechGuys, fashy pants) who are based in the UK do all the work for the Dixons group. I had issues with a Compaq PC a few years ago and had to get a technician out quite often to repair different problems. What kind of a warranty do you have on the item?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

No; it's not "typical Dixons 'customer service'" - you met a polite and helpful employee. ;)

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_retailers.html
    & the rest of the site.

Demand to speak to the branch manager at least, and address your concerns to him and if you're not satisfied - demand the regional manager's contact details from him. Then, send a registered letter (Based on that site's advice.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irlmin

Ruu wrote:
    It is not typical in my experience, even though I was a total cnut to them in the past. Afaik, PC Service Call (now called TechGuys, fashy pants) who are based in the UK do all the work for the Dixons group. I had issues with a Compaq PC a few years ago and had to get a technician out quite often to repair different problems. What kind of a warranty do you have on the item?

Warranty is std , I refused to 'buy' their own 'insurance' , so I guess it's manufacturers warranty .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

must go 3 times to get a replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sponge Bob wrote:

I'm in the same boat wrt repairs by pcservicecall. Been out twice already and, bah, have a thread here about it already.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

well its gone 3 times Kaimera so they must replace or refund in full (if in warranty)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Used to work for that group and the Pc Service call people did my nut in.

Stupid system tbh, they should utilize their realtiuonship with PC world and get them to do the repairs.

If it's a HP ring them direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sponge Bob wrote:
    well its gone 3 times Kaimera so they must replace or refund in full (if in warranty)

I'm very reluctant to let it go back again is the thing. FYP and all that yack to get doing.

But if it's gonna be replaces/refunded then it may be worth it. It's out of warranty but the insurance plan I got has covered it albeit it's run out since the first time I sent it off. The problem is they ****ed up the repair since.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sponge Bob wrote:
    That's policy, not law and can vary depending on how loudly you scream.
    However, OP, you should allow for another repair - it's fair enough. Although, the store should help you make arrangements so that you're not as inconvenienced and should be made aware of dates/times, etc. - useful if the next repair fails.

Advertisement