Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes(second test)Adelaide

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

jank wrote:
    but arent england still ahead?

enlighten me as im not too clued up on cricket

Never think of one team being ahead like in football because that's what the score says. England aren't ahead by much and Australia will get to bat again when they bowl England out, and will more than likely win. Take our word for it that England are pretty f*cked. Understanding different situations in cricket comes from watching alot of it. The only hope left for England is that they manage to bat for a good while yet. If they make about 120 which is probably being generous they will almost definitely lose. Once Collingwood goes they've lost basically. England are playing for a draw, so they want to bat for as long as possible. This way the Aussies won't have enough time to get the runs they need to win the match.

2-0, don't believe this. F*cking sham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Yes but they can't afford to lose wickets too quickly (or for a low score)

if we're all out and only hold a lead of say 200 then Aussies will definitely chase that down in a day +1/4

need someone to steady things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

ahead by only 117 runs and thats not much,ideally england would want 350+ lead and try and bowl the aussies out in their 2nd innings

Never think of one team being ahead like in football because that's what the score says. England aren't ahead by much and Australia will get to bat again when they bowl England out, and will more than likely win. Take our word for it that England are pretty f*cked. Understanding different situations in cricket comes from watching alot of it. The only hope left for England is that they manage to bat for a good while yet. If they make about 120 which is probably being generous they will almost definitely lose. Once Collingwood goes they've lost basically. England are playing for a draw, so they want to bat for as long as possible. This way the Aussies won't have enough time to get the runs they need to win the match.

nail on the head royale

just seen the run rate for this session,0.93 an over,what a joke

edit/first four of the session just scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SydneySider

Sorry guys but I am...

Loving it!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SydneySider

I know Ziggy, it's just that a few guys seemed disappointed at England's performance so I thought I might rub it in! ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

at this moment in time oz need just 8 to win off 4 overs:rolleyes:

oz have won by 6 wickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Pietersen literally threw away the ashes with about 11 ovs to go.

Flintoff had just bowled 5 dots, the pressure was on, Clarke hit a fine 3, stopeed from going for by Hoggard, throw to pietersen who then threw it on for 4 more. 7 off the last ball. This shortly after the Aussies had taken 2 wickets.

Game over.

Go on the Aussies! :D

KevIRL wrote:
    Pietersen literally threw away the ashes with about 11 ovs to go.

Flintoff had just bowled 5 dots, the pressure was on, Clarke hit a fine 3, stopeed from going for by Hoggard, throw to pietersen who then threw it on for 4 more. 7 off the last ball. This shortly after the Aussies had taken 2 wickets.

Game over.

Go on the Aussies! :D

The live text of as it happened on BBC makes for brilliant reading

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/6208540.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

delighted.

thought it would hold oiut fo a draw, but england managed to snatch defeat fgrom the jaws of a draw, and we go on and win by 6 wickets.

marvelous stuff.

cant wait to get back into work to rub it in :)

"They only need 43 Jonathan, they could knock those off with a stick of rhubarb..."
    Geoffrey Boycott on TMS

hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

mike65 wrote:
    Crazy dellusions?

Mike.

Apparantly not :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mike65 wrote:
    Yup. They might as well have an extra day off.

Mike.

hohohohohohoho.

your boys might as well take the enxt three tests off.

only flintoff and hoggard have turned up in oz. the rest of them get sidetracked somewhere along the way?

am still going for my original prediction of a 5-0 drubbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Well done aussies brilliant victory me thinks the shoe is on the other foot this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

i cant help but wonder if the ashe has been decided on an awful decision by Steve Bucnor in giving the first wicket of the day out.

sick:mad: ,what more can i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

only flintoff and hoggard have turned up in oz. the rest of them get sidetracked somewhere along the way?

Flintoff has not turned up at all. Bowled well in the first test but has been awful with the bat. Are you just going to ignore the efforts of Collingwood and Pietersen?

5-0 sounds aboutu right though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

at about 2am last night on betfair 16million was traded on the game, with about 13 million of that on the draw.

How the hell did england lose it?

at about 2am last night on betfair 16million was traded on the game, with about 13 million of that on the draw.

How the hell did england lose it?

they had money on australia at 16-1:D :eek: :D

i wouldnt be suprised. I was watching the nfl last night but went to bed at half time of that match. Didnt think there was any chance of aussies winning it. amazing. Cant wait too se the hightlights in a hours time!

i wouldnt be suprised. I was watching the nfl last night but went to bed at half time of that match. Didnt think there was any chance of aussies winning it. amazing. Cant wait too se the hightlights in a hours time!

Off Topic

What channel was the NFL on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Facinating screw up. Did they loose this cos they were too bullish on day one or too scared on day 5?

Mike.

RuggieBear wrote:
    Off Topic

Sky Sports Xtra?

RuggieBear wrote:
    Off Topic

I streamed it on the net. its on channel 5 if yu have digital. They show both the sunday and monday night matches.

• Advertisement

I streamed it on the night. its on channel 5 if yu have digital. They show both the sunday and monday night matches.

ah of course....don't get channel 5 and i quite miss monday night football.

actually i'll stick a thread in nfl about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

mike65 wrote:
    Facinating screw up. Did they loose this cos they were too bullish on day one or too scared on day 5?

3 reasons why England didn't win this match.

1. That line up would never have taken 20 wickets on a pitch like that. I doubt that any of the English bowlers will take all 20 wickets necessary to win a test match this winter, and I include Monty in that.

2. Letting the game meander to a draw, by letting the Aussies get towards their 1st innings total. Where was the pressure after getting Hayden, Langer and Martyn out cheaply? Once the Aussies had sniffed this out, they were the likely winners.

3. 129 off 70 odd overs. The Aussies must have been laughing all the way back to the dressing room when they saw those figures. Yes Mike, they were too scared.

5-0 is sooo possible now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Had a tickly cough on Monday night and couldn't sleep so I ended up watching the whole thing. For a full days cricket with so few runs it was enthralling. Every delivery by any of the Aussie bowlers was nail-biting. England played it so so wrong but it made for great drama - defending against Warne on a 5th day pitch was utter madness.

I was gutted for England but sadly they deserved that result.

As for Warne. What a competitor. He blows me away - is there another sportsman like him?

I wish more people had a bit of a clue about cricket. My colleagues think I'm a little strange when I interrupt the usual football/GAA/golf conversations with 'did you see Warne taking KP around the legs when he was trying to sweep'?

What a game, what a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I loved Mike Selvey's quotes in The Guardian today....
    As collapses go, the Ottoman Empire may have the edge, but this was an England special circa 1990 or thereabouts when such things seemed commonplace.

Advertisement