Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGA coolers for SLI

Options
  • 01-12-2006 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Gpus gone on a mad overheatign spree 135c and 90c atm

Any recommendations for 2 not so big but good ones?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

KdjaCL wrote:
    Gpus gone on a mad overheatign spree 135c and 90c atm

Any recommendations for 2 not so big but good ones?

kdjac

what cards/motherboard/case etc you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Its all going to depend on how much space you have between the cards.

The Accelero series from Arctic Cooling seem hard to beat ATM. I have one on my X1900XT that's OC to XTX speeds. Its currently running the Folding@Home GPU client at 100% and the GPU core is steady at 58c. With the stock cooler it was getting up to 90c! The Accelero are very quiet also.
    Pretty cheap on Overclockers right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Depending on the cards, it might work out better to just sell both and pick up a single card with better performance. The money to buy 2 vga coolers may be better spent elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Could have sworn i put in 2x6800 Ultras got them both for €120 one has massive Artic Cooler on it and other has default Nvidia fan.
    The Nvidia fan one hits 145 :eek: and the other hits 90, DFI SLI DR board in Jeantech case.

Cpu is at 22 and mainboard 25 so its really buggin me, getting artefacts in PES6 so took out the really hot one and just using the one with Artic Cooler at 90 atm .

kdjac

Could have sworn i put in 2x6800 Ultras got them both for €120 one has massive Artic Cooler on it and other has default Nvidia fan.
    The Nvidia fan one hits 145 :eek: and the other hits 90, DFI SLI DR board in Jeantech case. HIPER 580W SLI PSU and 2 case fans.

Cpu is at 22 and mainboard 25 so its really buggin me, getting artefacts in PES6 so took out the really hot one and just using the one with Artic Cooler at 90 atm .
    PLenty of room as i have no PCI cards in pc :confused:

kdjac

• Advertisement

Those temps are feckin high....your case temps are fine obviously.

Just a thought...and don't shoot me....but are the Nvidia temps in Fahrenheit rather than Celsius? This would make the temps OKish...145f = 63c

I could be way off though and it may be true that your Nvidia's are frying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

try trowing a fan on top of them.

hopeful wrote:
    Those temps are feckin high....your case temps are fine obviously.

Just a thought...and don't shoot me....but are the Nvidia temps in Fahrenheit rather than Celsius? This would make the temps OKish...145f = 63c

I could be way off though and it may be true that your Nvidia's are frying :D

No it is F just shows as 145C in the panel (cant change it too celsius) im also old so F is like pounds and ounces to me :D

Awhir im trying sell me your Fality and we half way there :p

Just need to repalce that Artic thing.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

145C would be core shutdown temprature.

Try removing the hsf, Removing the compound with isoproponyl and adding some artic 5. This should bring the temps back down. And also will only cost you 5€ and 20 mins. After that, if its still high. Then you know the fan is shagged.

ok sorry im a good guy.lol

• Advertisement

The one with the Artic Cooler Silencer has gone into the night oddly it was the one causing the other to overheat , the normal one with basic fan is now at a nice and toasty 105c running on its own.

a moments silence for the passing fo a GPU.......

kdjac

mAN 105c is very hot and may damage ur card!!!!!!!

KdjaCL wrote:
    The one with the Artic Cooler Silencer has gone into the night oddly it was the one causing the other to overheat , the normal one with basic fan is now at a nice and toasty 105c running on its own.

a moments silence for the passing fo a GPU.......

kdjac

Your ex-gpu is in all our thoughts :(

But personally I'd be worrying about the one that's still working! When you say 105c...is that at idle or at full load?
    Reading a forum or two on this topic I found that most 6800 Ultras were worrying their owners when getting above 70c at full load.

Thats going to keep me awake tonight now:D

105 is 40 celsius

Luckily im only playing pes6 atm so not having any real time effect.

kdjac

cool i just bought pes 6 and an xbox usb converter thing gota start playing it now :(yho

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

KdjaCL wrote:
    No it is F just shows as 145C in the panel (cant change it too celsius) im also old so F is like pounds and ounces to me :D

Awhir im trying sell me your Fality and we half way there :p

Just need to repalce that Artic thing.

kdjac

Took me 4 or 5 goes to get my dangerden blocks on my 6800's properly. I was getting crazy temps like you but when i got it right they dropped by 20-30c to 45 at load. My cpu is on the same loop (144 @ 2.9) and it gets to 40 on full load

Got the not broken one to 60 giving up buying a 1900XT , going single card for a while till 8800s come down a lot in price.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Wait for the second generation of dx10 cards. Dont bother buying a 1900xt just yet. Waste of money imo

Advertisement