Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Direct Card

Options
  • 01-12-2006 12:06am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

LAds,
    Have any of you got one?

What is the benefit, is it cheaper per litre when you use the card?
    How do you find out how much you save?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

yop wrote:
    LAds,
    Have any of you got one?

What is the benefit, is it cheaper per litre when you use the card?
    How do you find out how much you save?

Thanks

I assume its the DCI card your on about? I dont think there is any real benefit apart from not having to carry around cash. Maybe the larger companies get a percentage reduction, I dont know. But lets be honest the ordinary joe soap wont see many benefits from it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Tesco's hard to beat, tho ;)

Always about at least 3c per litre cheaper than anyone else; plus use your Tesco card, collect the points, and they send you money off vouchers at the end of the month.

Only problem is there's so few Tesco stations around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

milltown wrote:
    Damn straight!

I got one about 6 weeks ago and it's pretty good. Apart from the obvious constraint of having to use Statoil stations only, the convenience of it combined with the discounted rate is great.

Especially when there's two statoils within 10 minutes of my house, another one 20 mins away, one around the corner from my parents house and one near my training ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,788 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Damn straight!

I got one about 6 weeks ago and it's pretty good. Apart from the obvious constraint of having to use Statoil stations only, the convenience of it combined with the discounted rate is great.

Especially when there's two statoils within 10 minutes of my house, another one 20 mins away, one around the corner from my parents house and one near my training ground!
    Its fairly crap at the moment though, if it is the same as the benchmark card i got through my company group scheme. At the moment it is more expensive then a few of the stations i go past - its over 101c this week where i have have seen other stations selling at 99.9.

Through September and the begining of October it was great though, saving up to 10c per litre on occasion.

EDIT: Appears benchmark are screwing me out of 0.30c per litre - and email has been sent demanding answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 lh

So far so good. Only got it recently, and used once.
    Saved around 4 euro on a 50 euro fill.

The nearest garage to me is a Statoil.
    Might be able to drive further away to get a non-discounted similar price fill, but why would I bother.

Anybody know the reason you must tell them what the mileage is on your car each time you fill it ??

lh wrote:
    So far so good. Only got it recently, and used once.
    Saved around 4 euro on a 50 euro fill.

The nearest garage to me is a Statoil.
    Might be able to drive further away to get a non-discounted similar price fill, but why would I bother.

Anybody know the reason you must tell them what the mileage is on your car each time you fill it ??
    maybe its cause i got my card through a groupscheme, but i do not give my reg or mileage when i use it. As i pay for it, it does not matter what the mileage is. the reason they ask is cause if your company pays for it they will check the mileage to see if you have been using the card for cars other then the one the company is paying for (they don't want to be paying for your wife's fuel!) Whenever they ask me for the info i just tell them it is not needed and leave it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not the Benchmark card, these crowd are different, someone here mentioned them but I cannot find them on the search.
    www.directfuels.com

Don't know, it says "Save Money" but I cannot see how!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lh

Ah ! I just logged onto their website and set myself up. i.e. its not a company car etc.

Will try that the nextime cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I've never given the mileage but I can see why it's useful for a fleet manager to have that info for all the cars he might be paying fuel bills for though.

I know my average fuel consumption already, so no need to be told it by e-mail once a month!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how do you know what rate you're entitled to if you have a Benchmark card at any given time? Is it a fixed rate? So if there is a Statoil with fuel advertised at €1.05c how do you know if you'll save anything?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how do you know what rate you're entitled to if you have a Benchmark card at any given time? Is it a fixed rate? So if there is a Statoil with fuel advertised at €1.05c how do you know if you'll save anything?
    Depends how you got the card.

If you just applied through the website they have the information on what the price is on the site (this week for instance: http://www.motorcard.ie/week49.htm ) If you got it through a groupscheme where you work (as i did) you would have to check the price on the group scheme page.

Also - it will not mention the saving on the receipt you will get from the garage, it will display the price on the pump. the saving will be shown on the e-bill you recieve at the end of each month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Thanks, does it apply to all Statoil garages or just selected ones? Sounds like a good idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can pay them a tenner or so to text you the price every week, or just check the website.
    It applies to all Statoils (except maybe one I think), as the Benchmark card is a normal routex fuel card that pretty much every statoil accepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It's true Tesco can sometimes be a bit cheaper, but I have noticed the difference between them and your average garage is nowhere near as much as it was when they first entered the market. It used to be 5 - 10c a litre but now there's little or no difference. Have our other stations become more competitive or have Tesco decided, now they have people in the habit of buying from them, to join in the gouging?

I'm not about to go for a drive to save a cent or two per litre. With a ~60 litre fill I could end up spending more on petrol getting there than I'm saving. It is good to know, though, that the card in my wallet guarantees me a competitive price, no matter where I fill up.

And there's an amazing amount of pleasure to be had filling up at the Usher's Quay Statoil, at an advertised €1.35/l and knowing that you are saving almost a third :D

Stephen wrote:
    You can pay them a tenner or so to text you the price every week, or just check the website.
    It applies to all Statoils (except maybe one I think), as the Benchmark card is a normal routex fuel card that pretty much every statoil accepts.
    the garages on this link accept the fuel card.

https://www.financialgroupservices.com/motoring/frame_fuelcard.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tauren wrote:
    Its fairly crap at the moment though, if it is the same as the benchmark card i got through my company group scheme. At the moment it is more expensive then a few of the stations i go past - its over 101c this week where i have have seen other stations selling at 99.9.

Through September and the begining of October it was great though, saving up to 10c per litre on occasion.

EDIT: Appears benchmark are screwing me out of 0.30c per litre - and email has been sent demanding answers!

How are they screwing you? If you go into the garage with the pump price of 99.9c and the weekly benchmark price is 100.9, you only pay 99.99 with the card.

They are offering me a guarantee of 101.15, but on motorcard its 100.85.

Advertisement