Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT seat question

Options
  • 01-12-2006 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the situation, I'm using my clio as a work car, I have taken out the back seats and the seat belt clips (the part you plug your seatbelt into, the belt itself is still in). Now its a 20 min job to put it all back in but I plan to sheet the back in ply to make it flat and easier to carry the tools and stuff.

My question is, do I have to put the seats, seatbelt clips etc back in for the nct or because it only has 2 seats does it not need working setbelts in the back?

I almost certain I have to reassemble it but if I dont itd be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes they will all need to be put back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Yup your gonna need your seats in the back & seat belts fully functional (since the vehicle was originally a car. If it was a van from day one, well that would be a different story:)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

No, you don't! If no seat is fitted in the back, when the car is presented for the test, then you don't have to have seat belts for the the back seats. Same story with removable seats in an mpv like a sharan or an espace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mmm. The VLC would state that its a 5 seater, so surely the NCT will test it as such?

Just cos there are no seats there doesn't mean he's not gonna try carry passengers in the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Trust me, I'm doing this job for the last five years now. If you have lets say a seven seater sharan, and the owner takes out two of the back seats, we will only check the seatbelts for the seats that are actually fitted. We can simply enter :

NO SEAT FITTED OFFSIDE REAR PASS
    NO SEAT FITTED NEARSIDE REAR PASS

it will only come up as an advisory note on the test report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Hmmm, I'd like a second opinion.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Well I dont work in the NCT centre like Cosmo claim to, but IMO if the paperwork states the car is a 5 seater, then it will need 5 seatbelts.

The 7 seater MPV's may not have "7" entered on there VLC so only 5 would be tested. I recall a lot of Jap imports where only 4 belts were originally fitted, yet the officially imported Irish cars had 5, and the paperwok said 5, so they failed their tests !

Best contact the NCT centre you intend to use !

Advertisement