Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Pixel on Brand New Laptop

• 01-12-2006 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

So...I bit the bullet and shelled out for a new laptop this afternoon.

The hard drive on my old one (a Toshiba Portege) is on its way out - I have to do a Disk Cleanup several times a day at the moment to stop it crashing - and I was going to get a new one anyway, so I've gone and got a Toshiba Tecra.

However, I've noticed that the new Tecra has a dead pixel on the screen. Is this to be expected on a brand new laptop or should I take issue with the supplier?

Basically I could not afford to be without a laptop as I have a growing workload, and now if I get the Tecra sorted out I'm left with the unreliable Portege.

I'm now beginning to regret my decision and wish I had just got a new hard drive and managed without a PC somehow for a few days.

Does the 14-day cooling off period (under Consumer law) apply here, and I wonder should I get the hard drive sorted within that time and then return the Tecra, giving my unhappiness with the dead pixel as the reason?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It is to be expected and may be "within specification". Each manufacturer has their own policy on how many dead pixels warrants a return. As such, Toshiba may tell you to politely "lump it". And, if not, this process of return may be time-consuming. Go back to the point of sale and inform them straight away and discuss it with them... where did you buy it from? If it's an e-tailer or something, then they'll be collecting via courier and you can drag your heals a bit perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

dell replaced the screen of my xps gen2 under warranty, next day service.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

Is it just one pixel (the size of a pen nib) or is it a cluster? I used to be a toshiba tech and their warranty standards are like this...if you have less that 15 (approx, varys slightly according to LCD size) dead pixels they will NOT replace under warranty, unless all fifteen happen to be on the same line or in a cluster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

hhmm I see. It's only one pixel.

Not what I expected though. I guess I'm stuck with it, but I'll call them on Monday anyway and see what they say.

I didn't get it from an e-tailer. The other pain is that I'd probably have to return it myself which is time-consuming in itself and my time is at a premium at the moment.

Advertisement