Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to break a lock

Options
  • 01-12-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi, there's a lock & chain combo on my bike that needs breaking (lost the keys), but be it through my own lack of physical strength or the crappiness of my boltcutter, i can't cut the lock, so does anyone have any advice on how to break the lock? (breaking the chain ain't really an option, its way too thick).

the lock is one of those big-ish three-circle types.

Comments

use an angle grinder, clamp the lock to something solid with mole grips and grind away.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If its a good quality lock then you might be in a spot of bother.

But as dolanbaker says - use an angle grinder - a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 I shot...

excellent, where can i get one of these grinders of angles?

You could hire one from somewhere like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

a tri-circle lock can be opened by drilling where you put the key in with a small steel bit(6mm will do). Then when you get all the way thru and out the other side use a 10mm bit in the same hole and it should pop open. Make sure you hold it steady with a pipe grips or something similar- maybe ask for help off someone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Get a hacksaw (and some cutting compound if necessary) if you can't find an angle grinder. Any one into DIY should have one lying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Tri-Circle locks are made of butter, a few sharp taps with a hammer will sort it.

Tri-Circle locks are made of butter
    But they're not very spreadable.............:D

Advertisement