Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone watching the RTE news tonight?

Options
  • 01-12-2006 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

If so, did you see the article about Drink Driving, and showing a checkpoint where they caught a drink driver.

Really puts the sh1ts up you when you see something like that actually happening. I think it's things like this that will stop people drink driving etc.

Ad campaigs are all well and dandy, but seeing this guy on TV getting beathlysed (sp) and then getting arrested... To think what must have been going through his head. Not that I drink and drive, but it has certainly helped me think "No Way" ... Well done RTE (For once)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah I saw it on the 6 o'clock news. Pity they had to blur his face out, would have been great if they named and shamed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeah I saw it on the 6 o'clock news. Pity they had to blur his face out, would have been great if they named and shamed him.

While I see your point, I don't think the point of the article was to name and shame him, more just get the idea out "Don't fscking drink and drive" ... I wouldn't even have one pint after training last week because I had the car with me, just not worth the consequences, which would ruin me more than the shame of it

-Edit- To make things worse, dya hear the oul cow in the back of the car trying to defend him? Now that I think about it, the sound seemed a little 'too good' ... Could have been staged for all I know. But having said that, the way the Garda stuttered and gave his worded his speech as if he had verbal diahhoria, I reckon it was genuine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

It was a good piece. However I thought they ruined it with the melodramatic listing of all those who died on the roads in November, which followed Charlie Bird's segment. That's not journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

MicraBoy wrote:
    It was a good piece. However I thought they ruined it with the melodramatic listing of all those who died on the roads in November, which followed Charlie Bird's segment. That's not journalism.

Yeah without meaning any disrespect to the people who were listed, that was a bit too cheap and tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

MicraBoy wrote:

they've been doing that at the end of every month this year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I watched it and thought it was fairly thought provoking. TBH, it should be screened in the middle of Podge and Rodge as well, along with one on speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

No way that was staged i reckon. Very effective alright - i was watching it going "Oh ****e - he's fecked now!" Was surprised it was a Chalie Bird report - usually when he does stuff about the roads it's total crapola!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

JohnCleary wrote:
    Now that I think about it, the sound seemed a little 'too good' ... Could have been staged for all I know. But having said that, the way the Garda stuttered and gave his worded his speech as if he had verbal diahhoria, I reckon it was genuine :)

Well, I assume the Garda was wearing a microphone for the purpose of the segment - hence the good sound quality and the fact that the passenger's voice was picked up clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Was it just me or did said Guard seem drunker than the driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was stopped and breathalysed last night, guards were sound and i passed and went about my way.

The horrible thing is that it's still socially acceptable to drink and drive in some parts of the country

• Advertisement

testicle wrote:
    Was it just me or did said Guard seem drunker than the driver?

"I am arresting you under section 45623, of 2006 and eh, erm... Look, basicly im arresting you for Drink Driving" ... Laughed me ars3 off at that... When he came out with a line like that I knew it was genuine and wasn't staged :)

I also found it great the way the driver just owned up that he was drinking. None of this 'Oh I had 1 pint" etc... Just a plain and simple YES, made the whole process a lot easier because either way he was going down. He musta been sh1tting himself, esp. with the camera's there

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

JohnCleary wrote:
    If so, did you see the article about Drink Driving, and showing a checkpoint where they caught a drink driver.

Really puts the sh1ts up you when you see something like that actually happening. I think it's things like this that will stop people drink driving etc.

Ad campaigs are all well and dandy, but seeing this guy on TV getting beathlysed (sp) and then getting arrested... To think what must have been going through his head. Not that I drink and drive, but it has certainly helped me think "No Way" ... Well done RTE (For once)

I was randomly checked a couple of weeks ago and then wifey got checked the following weekend while i was pissed in the passenger seat.

its all good and i'm delighted that it has reinforced in me to not be naughty. I used to have a bottle or can with a meal before i headed out. No way would i do it now.

[honest mode]
    its the real fear of being caught rather than any harm i could potentially do that stops me.
    [/honest mode]

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I saw that report last night. I had to switch when the names came up. I found the whole report really unwatchable and cringeworthy and as you say, cheap.

I was wanting to find out about the news, not Carry On Gardai.

(I still can't get the vision of that time Charlie Bird was reporting from the Iraqi 'frontline' thousands of miles away in Kuwait or somewhere very safe.)

I dont think a cheap report like last night is going to make anyone give up drink driving if they are still drink driving. Getting caught is the only way most of these people will stop imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ewlit

i don't suppose anyone has a link for that if its on the net???

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

ewlit wrote:
    i don't suppose anyone has a link for that if its on the net???

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/230-2197306.smil

Needs RealPlayer (spit)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I saw that report last night. I had to switch when the names came up. I found the whole report really unwatchable and cringeworthy and as you say, cheap.

(I still can't get the vision of that time Charlie Bird was reporting from the Iraqi 'frontline' thousands of miles away in Kuwait or somewhere very safe.)

I dont think a cheap report like last night is going to make anyone give up drink driving if they are still drink driving. Getting caught is the only way most of these people will stop imo.

One of the best pieces I have seen in a long time. It had a few aims, the main one being to make people think twice about drinking and driving. It was linked to a piece of "news" that the numbers arrested for drink driving since the random breath testing came in has increased dramaticilly. The piece out on the road is a hell of a lot better than that tripe they show on other news programmes during the various wars in the past few years where the reporter goes on the road with the soldiers, Charlie has tried this himself and looked stupid-other channels sensationalise this type of thing not RTE.

As a deterrant I think you'll have found by the small sample here that it has made people think twice and possibly change their behaviour. There will always be the persistant offender who doesnt care until he is caught however for those who drive with three or four pints this kind of add brings the risk all home.
    The names of people who have died on the roads is something that has been happening for the past few months. It does make people realise these are real people we are talking about here and not just numbers. These people have left loved ones behind. Do we want to be in that position? Too often people only think of these tragedys as numbers, its only when someone close to you is killed does the tragedy make an impact on your live and subsequently make you change your habits.

They are just my opinions-it is hard to change the attitude of people and something like this definetly isnt a bad thing.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

we will probaly being seeing a lot of this up to christmas which is a good thing.

[honest mode]
    its the real fear of being caught rather than any harm i could potentially do that stops me.
    [/honest mode]

Hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Dont get me wrong, if this type of report on the News prevents deaths by changing the opinions of people who drink and drive then fair enough.

I just think it would be better suited as an informercial in the middle of the news.

I think I'll be avoiding the RTE News if they continue with this type of reporting and stick to t'internet for proper news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

as far as i was aware, in the uk anyway, there has to be a 10 minute wait after a drink or cigarette before you can be breathalysed, is this the case in ireland ? has anyone that has been randon tested been asked if they had a smoke in the last 10 mins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I couldn't help but notice that of those who were on the list of deaths - their ages.

It appeared that there were nearly as many elderly (>55) killed as young people (<25).

englander wrote:
    Dont get me wrong, if this type of report on the News prevents deaths by changing the opinions of people who drink and drive then fair enough.

I just think it would be better suited as an informercial in the middle of the news.

I think I'll be avoiding the RTE News if they continue with this type of reporting and stick to t'internet for proper news.

You go do that :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

oleras wrote:
    as far as i was aware, in the uk anyway, there has to be a 10 minute wait after a drink or cigarette before you can be breathalysed, is this the case in ireland ? has anyone that has been randon tested been asked if they had a smoke in the last 10 mins ?
    the garda did a roadside check. It would be impractical to expect everyone to wait 10 mins before being breathalysed.
    However, those deemed oveer the limit at the roadside are brought to the station and told not to eat smoke or drink fo 10 or 20 mins. It was all in the clip ast night.
    cast_iron wrote:
    It appeared that there were nearly as many elderly (>55) killed as young people (<25).
    ut it didn't say how they died - were they drivng or pedestrians?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

englander wrote:

RTE 'news' is a ****ing disgrace. What can you expect from a goverment *funded news organisation?

*not directly, I know

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why are they a disgrace?
    I thought it was a good clip - far superior to anything the government or NSC have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Anyone notice that all those in Drogheda garda station were men?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JohnCleary wrote:
    "I am arresting you under section 45623, of 2006 and eh, erm... Look, basicly im arresting you for Drink Driving" ... Laughed me ars3 off at that... When he came out with a line like that I knew it was genuine and wasn't staged :)
    I thought he stated it quite clearly. I heard "Section 49 of the Road Traffic Act 1961-2006". That would not mean a lot to many people so there was nothing wrong with him adding that he was arresting for drink driving. I can't understand why you were laughing your arse off - you are easily amused. :)

I thought he stated it quite clearly. I heard "Section 49 of the Road Traffic Act 1961-2006". That would not mean a lot to many people so there was nothing wrong with him adding that he was arresting for drink driving. I can't understand why you were laughing your arse off - you are easily amused. :)

See if you can find the recording online and watch it again. He couldn't complete his statment and started stuttering, then said the 'basicly im arresting you for drink driving' ... I found it kinda funny, he was prob trying to act all professional for the camera and got too big for his boots! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JohnCleary wrote:
    See if you can find the recording online and watch it again. He couldn't complete his statment and started stuttering, then said the 'basicly im arresting you for drink driving' ... I found it kinda funny, he was prob trying to act all professional for the camera and got too big for his boots! :p
    But they have to say that for any committed offences. If it's for a speeding offence, they will mention "section 47 of the Road Traffic Act 1961" etc.

Advertisement