Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone watching the RTE news tonight?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

JohnCleary wrote:
    See if you can find the recording online and watch it again. He couldn't complete his statment :p

Watched it and what happens is the guard quotes the relevant sections of the road traffic act that the driver is committing an offence under, he then quotes the part of the act that provides his power of arrest, he then tells him in simple language why he is being arrested. This does away with "I didn't know what the guard was talking about judge he just kept quoting numbers and sections."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CLADA wrote:
    Watched it and what happens is the guard quotes the relevant sections of the road traffic act that the driver is committing an offence under, he then quotes the part of the act that provides his power of arrest, he then tells him in simple language why he is being arrested. This does away with "I didn't know what the guard was talking about judge he just kept quoting numbers and sections."
    I couldn't have put it better. Thanks CLADA. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

In fairness the guard did sound drunk the way he read the rights but lets be realistic - he did very well considering he was a cop doing his job with a camera pointed at him and not a holywood actor, pressure must have been immense!
    I do think RTE could have done it a lot better though - I've seen much better on Road Wars and similar progs where the driver has broke down crying and the like which, I think, sends the message back home much more because you see the people realising they're f**ked and their way of life about to completely change.
    I've been stopped a few times recently at checkpoints and fair play to the cops (Down this way at least) their attitude seems to have completely changed - Stick their heads in the window to see if there's a smell of gatt and be extremely polite and friendly.... Makes it a pleasent experience in comparison to the way it used to be years ago!
    I know a guy who was 'randomly' breath tested recently and even though he hadn't had a drink in nearly a week he said he was still bricking it - definitely a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

damo605 wrote:
    I do think RTE could have done it a lot better though - I've seen much better on Road Wars and similar progs where the driver has broke down crying and the like
    Yea, how stupid and unprofessional of RTE for not making the man cry:rolleyes:
    damo605 wrote:
    I know a guy who was 'randomly' breath tested recently and even though he hadn't had a drink in nearly a week he said he was still bricking it - definitely a good thing!
    Now there's a man with nerves of steel.

Advertisement