Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures Please [Dialup Death]

Options
  • 01-12-2006 5:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All,

Limerick is changing so much, with all the new building going on. I am hoping someone might have a few pictures ??? I would love to see:

The new Christmas Lights.
    The New Royal George.
    The new Hotel in the Sandmall
    and the Blue lights everyone is talking about.

And just about anything else thats gone up in the last year. Will be a couple of years yet before I go back for a holiday, by the looks of it I wont know the place. God I miss home..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=3946
    loads of pictures in that archiseek thread

If you give me a few minutes I can give you more images which I have taken myself recently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The George Hotel

GeorgeHotel.jpg

The Hilton, on the site of the Ennis Road Jury's Hotel

LimerickHilton2006-11-24.jpg

Bedford Row complete with blue lights, excuse the **** quality of the picture, but was getting used to new camera when taking the picture

BedfordRow20061108.jpg

Clarion Hotel, taken from the former whistling bridge

ClarionHotel20061108.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

Cheers Billy thank you so much, the pics are fab, love those blue lights. Keep the pics coming guys, I'll be checking back tomorrow, got to go to bed now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

There was a website.... Sorry I dont have the URL
    but someone here may know it.

Basically you went to it and it would show you (modern) photos of any area
    of Limerick you wanted. If there was not a photo up on the site you
    could request a location.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A few photos of the People's Park:
    Limerick-0088.jpg

Limerick-0089.jpg

Limerick-0083.jpg

Tate's clock and square:
    Limerick-0106.jpg

The new Riverpoint building next to the Shannon bridge:
    RiverPointLimerickIreland.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

nice pics above, but reality is this as well:

shelter.jpg

highstreet.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Munster Snow ....... :)

well not this year, but who knows ...... we may get some more .... :rolleyes:

ioddsy.jpg

Here's another one ...... well, not in Limerick but certainly overlooking the city .... Gallows hill of course .... :rolleyes:

dome1fl8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hehe! It's the Famous Golf Ball. Very Isolated Place though! Wouldn't want to be lost up there. By the way Nice Dog Hobie. Seems to be popping up everywhere on boards these days! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Mable, you'll be glad to know the Civic Trust have plans to do up both that stand in the Park and the old Tobacconists that faces on to Lord Edward street, they are currently looking for funding afaik.

Also, there are plans for the re-development of the the corner of Thomas street and Catherine street, the block with Java's on it is being knocked (only as far as the lane beside Java's) so that eyesore will be gone soon too. Good to see another city centre being developed.

Not sure what's going on at the Round House Pub, though if the new Flannerys is a success (when is that opening?) I'm sure the block in your second photo is doomed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bullets wrote:
    There was a website.... Sorry I dont have the URL
    but someone here may know it.

Basically you went to it and it would show you (modern) photos of any area
    of Limerick you wanted. If there was not a photo up on the site you
    could request a location.

~B

http://www.limerick.com/show/showmelimerick.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

Mable, you'll be glad to know the Civic Trust have plans to do up both that stand in the Park and the old Tobacconists that faces on to Lord Edward street, they are currently looking for funding afaik.

I am indeed. The photo above was taken in the park at clare street opposite the Art School.
    That pavillon in Peoples Park, will it be finished within this decade? I think they are working on it now for 2 or 3 years. Is it that complicated to assemble a few lath woods with nails?

The problem is that you name a street in the city centre and I can give at least one picture with a rotten building.
    I think this is what remains in visitors minds - the ugly things, not the river side because those ugly buildings really spoil the party...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I'm not saying there isn't loads to do, of course there is but in the last 2 years we've seen a new Henry street being built, the renovation of loads of Georgian buildings by the cresent, the pedestrianisation of Bedford Row/Thomas street and the continuing development of the waterfront. Over the next 5 years we'll see the renewal of William street, Catherine street, Ellen street (well the whole Opera area), the canal (when is that being finished?), the lands beside the canal (Downes field?) and recently plans were unvieled for the around the Courthouse and St. Mary's Park. Like you imply, there is a lot to do, but it is being done.

The Civic Trust is a voluntary organisation always looking for new members, if you want to can join them or suggest projects for them to do (you can google their website).

Since the OP wants to see pictures of the new Limerick, it's safe to assume she already has loads of the old Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

MMM, can I ask you a question?
    I'm not trying to start anything, and am seriously asking this, in case you feel it's some sort of attack.;)

Why do you feel the need to try and put something bad about Limerick into every post?
    This post was set up by Abbey Lass, as she wanted to see a few of the new buildings that have gone up since she was last here.
    Everyone knows that there are areas of Limerick that are downtrodden, much the same way as there are in most cities in Europe. I was just over in London recently, and even in some of the posher areas, you'd be amazed at how poorly some of the buildings are kept. Also, I dont know if anyone here has ever been to Brussels, but the whole Southern half of that city needs to be bulldozed!:D

Anyway, I'm just wondering about your seeming compulsion to try and put our city down?
    I mean it would have been someway understandable if this was a thread claiming that Limerick's looking great. But it wasn't. Instead it was about some of the newer buildings, that a Limerick exile hasn't seen yet.

As I said, this isn't any kind of insult, or attack. I'm just curious by your reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

MMM - a bit OTT really. The OP was looking for pictures of new buildings in the city, you're input hardly reflects that. I think every city can be protrayed in a poor light if you want to dig for it. In fact I'd say every home has blackspots, why be so negative?
    C'mon post some your good pictures of the city.

It's the Famous Golf Ball. Very Isolated Place though! Wouldn't want to be lost up there.

years ago I hear they had a "tracked snow transporter" parked up on Gallows hill to allow engineers to reach the domes in winter ......

Before global warming they used to get desperate snow drifts up there ....

j09z5z.gif

I was reading a thread recently about the effects of high powered radar on modern cars ...... it seems if you get really close some of them can "nuke" the car's electronics ...... a very expensive experience so I'm told ....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

hobie wrote:
    years ago I hear they had a "tracked snow transporter" parked up on Gallows hill to allow engineers to reach the domes in winter ......

Before global warming they used to get desperate snow drifts up there ....

I was reading a thread recently about the effects of high powered radar on modern cars ...... it seems if you get really close some of them can "nuke" the car's electronics ...... a very expensive experience so I'm told ....:(

Hehe, great piece of info there. Off topic I know :o , but I remember a number of my friends were brought into the dome once before, when they were in cubscouts.No chance of that happening now!Would love to go inside and have a proper scout around.I have always wondered how the dome is linked to the airport, and what kind of redundancy they have in place for the uplink.

:edit: Just looking to the left of the dome base, you can see a Microwave Dish Mounting,pointing towards the general direction of Shannon. So I guess the uplink is a Microwave transmit.:)

Hiya Guys,

Thanks for all the pics, much appreciated. I told my Aunt in New York about this site so she is now also viewing hehe. Since both of us are from the Abbey we are really interested in what has happened in that area, can anyone tell us the name of the new Hotel they built there ? and maybe a pic ? as we are trying to figure out how they fit a hotel in to a small space, in fact it's where our family home once stood.

Cheers All.

Abbey Lass, the best place to get pics of all the new developements is here.

There are almost 40 pages, so you're better off IMO starting at the end and moving backwards.

Here are some of the pics you were looking for. (Page36)

attachment-3.jpg

attachment-4.jpg

attachment-5.jpg

From karma's link .....

I wonder if U2 have taken the top floor? ..... :p

limyouthserviceuf5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

That building is priceless.....if you stand in front you can see the way the glass slants at the side of the old building frontage; you can even see it in the pic above.

I presume the glass bit and the green frames are perpendicular, so I can only hazard a guess that the original building has seriously tilted to the right ?

Anyways, here's a few more pics of Limerick as it stands today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

was passing by the park yesterday (with the old hut thats falling apart and full of grafiti)
    and noticed people blocking it off assuming its being redevoleped

Thanks Karma, had a good browse on that link you gave me. Finally found out the name of the new hotel in the Mall. Bookmarked their site as I may want to stay there in the future, would be nice to sleep back on the old sod again.

would be nice to sleep back on the old sod again.

Who's that then ..... :p

hobie wrote:

smile_laughing.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

hobie wrote:

ZING!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Hi all,

I have a few good pictures of limerick and would like to share them with the masses, so if anybody has any themselves feel free to put them in here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

one more

Advertisement