Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Outings

• 01-12-2006 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

A mate at work has been given the duties of "social secretary" and wants to start his first outing with a bang, what im looking for is ideas that are slightly more orginal than the usual of the dogs and karting etc.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Smoggy wrote:
    A mate at work has been given the duties of "social secretary" and wants to start his first outing with a bang, what im looking for is ideas that are slightly more orginal than the usual of the dogs and karting etc.

Any suggestions ?

Depends where they are located.

Place I worke din Dublin before used to go to Blessington, I think, to an
    adventure center place and have team competitions for archery, quad
    biking, treasure hunt, rowing etc and then have a big BBQ for everyone.
    I think we had to put a tenner to it ourselves but always used to be great
    craic.

Other than that ...
    - Organise concert tickets
    - Go on a Mystery Tour
    - organise a weekly game of football/squash/volleyball/badminton/etc
    - the usual, table quiz, dogs, karting etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

The adventure place sounds class, alternativly if its mainly men in your work why not try paintball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Paintball is officially the instrument of the devil.

The adventure team bits and pieces are good fun, but I think you'll nearly always get some eejit who's had a desk job and hasn't as much as run for a bus in the last decade over-exerting themselves and sustaining an injury.

How many people are you talking about?
    Where are you based?
    What's the age split?
    What's the gender split?

The above info would help the planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

The adventure place sounds class, alternativly if its mainly men in your work why not try paintball?

mainly men?? :rolleyes:

i worked in a place with 40 women and 2 guys and we went paintballing, so if there are women in your company, dont let hairy arses (love you, hail :D) comment above stop you planning on such an outing!!

Mystery tours are always good!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

i worked in a place with 40 women and 2 guys

Where was that? *gets cv ready*

• Advertisement

its in donegal....trust me you dont want to work there!! I left...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

(love you, hail :D)
    :cool:

On our last saff night out we wont to the comedy club... Was pretty good but fairly packed.

werent you the main act??....whats it like to be in a cage and have people prodding you? :D

yea the comedy club is a good idea..or hire out a complex, with bowling, cinema and other activities there..meake sure theres a bar though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, bowling is a great idea ;) but as Donegal Lass said, a bar is a necessity really otherwise some people just won't go :(

I worked for a company before that did a salsa evening with food and drink. I really enjoyed it. It's good when it gets going but there can be a bit of awkwardness at the start, that's why you need good teachers who will liven up the crowd a bit.

Paintball is great but yes, people can get injured. Something like Archery/Adventure etc. sounds great but for this time of year an indoor event is probably best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GO-Karting is a good one. You can do a day long GP with heats semis and finals. Top 3 get tropheys and the winner gets a bottle of bubbly.

http://www.pallaskarting.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

A company I was with took us to some adventure place in limerick, archery etc. and team building exercises, have to say the team building was class, they had a series of logs suspended on chains getting progressively further apart as you went up and you had to get your team of 4 to the top in the fastest time (Safety harnesses and all supplied obviously) and other stuff along those lines, brilliant laugh and there was a pub just down the road so straight in there afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Stripclub?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

We did a high-speed boat trip with a group (Seafari I think?). Took three boats out, each with about 10 people and went out from Seapoint to Howth Head and around it to the village, where we dis-embarked.

It was excellent fun - lots of moments of being lifted right into the air by a couple of metres for a continuos period. Good adrenalin rush and everyone enjoyed it across a varied age group and about a 40/60 woman/man divide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH (redirect still there).

Advertisement