Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Network Question

Options
  • 01-12-2006 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 3mb connection with BT. I usually get great connection speeds and downloads are fast (up to 320k). But sometimes, the connection seems to kinda pause for a few seconds and then start up again.
    The modem is a Prestige 623. From the prestige, the connection goes into a 4-way hub, feeding two PC's in the house (wired).
    The prestige is an old unit, so I'm wondering if I changed it to something newer would it be of any benefit.
    I would like to be able to feed both PC's without the need for the 4-way hub.
    So what can I do to improve the connection?Not intrested in going wireless as there is a wired network between both PC's already.

Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

simply replace it with this lad for €24.99 and keep the old unit as a backup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Cheers Bob, that looks like it what I need.
    Any more info on the overheating issue mentioned in the other thread?
    Do you think this will give a more consistant connection, Being a more up-to-date model?

Going to try PCWorld in Naas this evening.

Well I have come across 5 or 6 of them in operation so far and none displayed that problem. I would make sure its freestanding and not stuffed into a corner where ventilation is a problem.

The problem was described in that thread as 'hot to touch' , I found them warm to touch but nowhere near the discomfort level that 'hot' implies . Eircom were a very early adopter and are a big Netopia customer and could have gotten late betas initially or an earlier firmware which caused them to run hot.

For €25 you cannot really complain though . Go back and get a replacement if you think its ' hot ' .

For €25 I'm not complaining!! I usually leave the prestige on all the time, but it wouldn't be a big deal to switch it off at night.

Being fussy now, but is there an eircom logo on it? If there is, I'd certainly want to get it off :p

There is an embossed eircom logo on top but you cannot have everything can you .

There is an eircom logo on all the web admin screens too , you may be able to hack the .jpg in the firmware and replace it with this other logo

th_Eirconslowconnect.gif

• Advertisement

Pick one up in PCWorld at the retail park outside Naas. I'm going to set it up later.
    There are loads left in PCW and Harvey Norman in the same retail park has a pallet full of them!

The fella in PCW told me about the sign up, but said I didn't have to.

Thanks for the tip Sponge Bob
    :D:D:D

Set it up and it works like a charm.

Great buy @ €24.99

Advertisement