Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Intolerance on my part?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Ravage

Oh and to add to the rants, why can't people join dual carriage ways or motorways at speed. Why do I always join at 50 instead of 100, this can be just plain dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I drive on smaller roads everyday to and from work after dark, and almost every car I meet has its fog lights on. I can't think of one time where I've felt dazzled or blinded by these lights. 4x4s are a different matter altogether. I also find those blue tinted lights that are on some new cars particularly annoying.

Kluivert - Is the poor lighting something common on Opel cars. The dipped lights on the Corsa I used to own were completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

but you look cool when you drive with your front fog lights on!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Ravage wrote:
    A good test is next time you park in front of a wall place your dipped beams on. Then place your fog lights on. You will see that your fog lights brighten up the area below your dips and ALSO ABOVE.!!!

Done this and my fogs made a straight line accross and funnily enough it was bright below the line and dark above so I'm guessing your fogs are misaligned better go get them sorted before coming back here trying to get us to follow British ROTR. Oh and just to wind you up more I do use my fogs a lot and since none of you can make me turn them off don't bother trying. Ye are very brave from behind your keyboards so am I, I can say I USE MY FOGS IN CLEAR CONDITIONS:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

endplate wrote:
    I do use my fogs a lot and since none of you can make me turn them off don't bother trying.

Name a time and a place and I WILL make you turn them off :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

[/QUOTE]
    Ravage wrote:
    Are you a moron!? Fog lights are for driving in heavy fog. They add slight extra visibility to the sides of the road and have a light that appears above a standard dip light.

I find that they help me driving on country roads.
    Ravage wrote:
    Fog lights are for driving in foggy conditions only.!!!

What are spot lights for?

Ravage wrote:
    It is absurd to think that you see better, you may get better light closer to your car, but they are only good for fog driving. If you need to look so close to you car and not down the road then you need to get better driving lessons.

It helps when you are pulling into a ditch to let a tractor by to have light close to the car.
    Ravage wrote:
    A good test is next time you park in front of a wall place your dipped beams on. Then place your fog lights on. You will see that your fog lights brighten up the area below your dips and ALSO ABOVE.!!!

This is what I use to check the lights already, I find a the light reflects of the wall somewhat.
    Ravage wrote:
    Please please please stop using fog lights in non foggy conditions.

I have read Franks review and I went to local auto factors and they didnt have any of those bulbs not even the Philips one.

I have already stated that I am not going to use them.

I have already stated that I switch them off in areas where visibility is good, and only use them where visibility is bad. As stated by the UK regulations.

I dont think you understand, that I use them on country roads and not main roads.

Finally dont call me a moran please. You dont know me.

Carb wrote:
    I drive on smaller roads everyday to and from work after dark, and almost every car I meet has its fog lights on. I can't think of one time where I've felt dazzled or blinded by these lights. 4x4s are a different matter altogether. I also find those blue tinted lights that are on some new cars particularly annoying.

No one ever gives out about the dips from 4x4's, they are more annoying than fogs.

In addition, to everyone who drives a newish Mercs, your dips are very bright. But this doesnt bother to the extent that I get frustrated with the fact. Just get on with or we'll all end up like the OP, ready to blow :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If you look where you're going and not at the oncoming car, then front fog lights shouldn't affect your visibility, provided they're aligned correctly. Mis-aligned dips are worse than fog lights. Rear fog lights are a disaster. They should be taken off all cars, as they are useless. I've never yet seen fog that was so thick as to not let me see the car in front with no rear fog lights turned on before I could stop to avoid it. If fog ever comes that is that thick, you shouldn't be driving in it.
    To the original poster, you mention waiting until some queue skipper comes and tries to get in, then you close the gap on him.... thats much more dangerous than driving with 5 sets of front fog lights turned on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I dont mind fog lights the car is only in your view for a few seconds, what really bothers me are jeeps behind me with their halogen lights glaring off my my wing mirrors & main mirrors lighting the inside of my car up like when the lights come on at the end of a nightclub!!! or idiots who dont have their headlights aligned properly & gives off the sensation that they are behind you with full beams on :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Biro wrote:
    To the original poster, you mention waiting until some queue skipper comes and tries to get in, then you close the gap on him.... thats much more dangerous than driving with 5 sets of front fog lights turned on!

I don't think either are particularly dangerous, my beef with the fog lights isn't so much about safety, rather about consideration for other drivers. But it's certainly more likely to cause a situation, I'll give you that.

• Advertisement

I don't think either are particularly dangerous, my beef with the fog lights isn't so much about safety, rather about consideration for other drivers. But it's certainly more likely to cause a situation, I'll give you that.
    2-second rule is king!
    I still think for other driver's concentration levels, rear fog lights are the enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Kluivert wrote:
    It helps when you are pulling into a ditch to let a tractor by to have light close to the car.

Jasus! You must be driving pretty slow if tractors are overtaking you! :D:D Just kidding....
    Biro wrote:
    Rear fog lights are a disaster. They should be taken off all cars, as they are useless. I've never yet seen fog that was so thick as to not let me see the car in front with no rear fog lights turned on before I could stop to avoid it. If fog ever comes that is that thick, you shouldn't be driving in it.

Have you ever driven in fog? Then you will know that you will see a car with its rear fog lamps from quite a distance. Quite useful I would say. Obviously if when you are using them you would switch them off if a car is close behind.
    Ravage wrote:
    Are you a moron!?
    No need for that... but there are so many people out there that cant seem to grasp the fact that fog lamps are for foggy conditions only! Its amazing really...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

peasant wrote:
    Name a time and a place and I WILL make you turn them off :D:D:D

:D:D

Ahh the beauty of the internet:D

Drax wrote:
    Jasus! You must be driving pretty slow if tractors are overtaking you! :D:D Just kidding....

:D As someone recently said Ann Summers sex toys would have more power than my 1.4 Astra :D God damn those tractors anyway, nothing more annoying than having farmer over take you in his tractor with his flood lights on, wheres Hector when you need him

Drax wrote:
    Have you ever driven in fog? Then you will know that you will see a car with its rear fog lamps from quite a distance. Quite useful I would say. Obviously if when you are using them you would switch them off if a car is close behind.
    Yes I have driven in fog. I drive a lot in all conditions. You're right, you do see the car further ahead if they have the rear foglights on, but my point is that you shouldn't be travelling so quick in fog as to need to see them that far ahead. And the minor advantages that rear fog lights bring, don't even come close to the disadvantages they bring because of mis-use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Biro wrote:
    Yes I have driven in fog. I drive a lot in all conditions. You're right, you do see the car further ahead if they have the rear foglights on, but my point is that you shouldn't be travelling so quick in fog as to need to see them that far ahead. And the minor advantages that rear fog lights bring, don't even come close to the disadvantages they bring because of mis-use.
    You obviously haven't driven in 'real' fog then ... the pea-souper kind when you literally have to open the driver's side window and look out to see where the side of the road is. A rare occurrence, I admit, but it does happen occasionally, and they are invaluable in such circumstances. Even when driving at a crawl in such conditions, you won't see a car with normal rear lights until you're right on top of it. As an aside, your bog standard issue front fog lights aren't much use then either, believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Another one to add to my list of pet peeves, keeping your foot on the break in stationary traffic. Out of courtesy to the driver behind me, I use the handbreak so as not to blind the driver behind with my break lights. I'm just being ridiculous now, aren't I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

Another one to add to my list of pet peeves, keeping your foot on the break in stationary traffic. Out of courtesy to the driver behind me, I use the handbreak so as not to blind the driver behind with my break lights. I'm just being ridiculous now, aren't I?
    What about the idiots who leave a huge gap between them and the car on front in heave traffic and proceed to drive at about 0.005kmph until they reach the car, I bet that really pissed you off doesn't it?!!!

Alun wrote:
    You obviously haven't driven in 'real' fog then ... the pea-souper kind when you literally have to open the driver's side window and look out to see where the side of the road is. A rare occurrence, I admit, but it does happen occasionally, and they are invaluable in such circumstances. Even when driving at a crawl in such conditions, you won't see a car with normal rear lights until you're right on top of it. As an aside, your bog standard issue front fog lights aren't much use then either, believe me.
    Yes, very rare and you shouldn't be driving in that.

Biro wrote:
    Yes, very rare and you shouldn't be driving in that.
    Well, obviously you wouldn't set out on a journey in that kind of fog, but I've been caught up in it on more than a couple of occasions. Not a lot you can do in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recall driving back to Leixlip from a wedding in Mullingar one night. When we set off the weather was fine but just after Enfield (on the old N4) we came across the worst fog I have ever seen. We were doing about 10mph at most and the side of the road was barely visible (with front fogs).
    What surprised me was the amount of cars that were driving at what I suspect was at least the speed limit through it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

kluivert wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, am going to head to the auto factors at lunch and pick them, I have heard people mentioning Philips before so ill give them a try.

The battery has gone flat a few times in the last year. I think I might need a battery and they havent been aligned in two years so ill get that as well in the coming weeks.

Ok so am converted now. Happy Drax

Fair play, dude.
    Wish there were more like you.

Alun wrote:
    Well, obviously you wouldn't set out on a journey in that kind of fog, but I've been caught up in it on more than a couple of occasions. Not a lot you can do in that case.
    Turn back. You're only after driving into it a minute previously, it's still not foggy a minute behind you.

Biro wrote:
    Turn back. You're only after driving into it a minute previously, it's still not foggy a minute behind you.
    Meanwhile, back in the real world ...

Alun wrote:
    Meanwhile, back in the real world ...
    Look... you think you can come on here giving out about front fog lights and then justify yourself driving in weather conditions that are too dangerous for driving, just because you think its the "real world". You are not that important that you need to be somewhere.
    If you can't tolerate someone else's minor offence, don't try to justify your own. Thats my point, I'm not just trying to argue.

Biro wrote:
    Look... you think you can come on here giving out about front fog lights and then justify yourself driving in weather conditions that are too dangerous for driving, just because you think its the "real world". You are not that important that you need to be somewhere.
    By "meanwhile in the real world..", I meant that there are many possible circumstances in which turning back isn't really a viable option, like if you're only 5 minutes away from your destination at the end of a long journey, or on a motorway with no exit for miles, both of which have happened to me in my driving career. Clearly if conditions were like that as I set off, or shortly after setting off, I'd err on the side of caution, but often you just get caught up in bad weather conditions with no real chance of escape and you just have to make the best of a bad situation as safely as you can.
    If you can't tolerate someone else's minor offence, don't try to justify your own. That's my point, I'm not just trying to argue.
    I'm not committing any offence by driving in the fog as far as I'm aware?

Alun wrote:
    By "meanwhile in the real world..", I meant that there are many possible circumstances in which turning back isn't really a viable option, like if you're only 5 minutes away from your destination at the end of a long journey, or on a motorway with no exit for miles, both of which have happened to me in my driving career. Clearly if conditions were like that as I set off, or shortly after setting off, I'd err on the side of caution, but often you just get caught up in bad weather conditions with no real chance of escape and you just have to make the best of a bad situation as safely as you can.

I'm not committing any offence by driving in the fog as far as I'm aware?
    Front spot lights aren't either then, are they?

Biro wrote:
    Front spot lights aren't either then, are they?
    I'm sorry, but the logic (if there is any) of that little text fragment (I won't honour it by calling it a 'sentence') eludes me at the moment.

Using front fog lights when it is not foggy is an offence. Driving in the fog, however bad it is, isn't.

Alun wrote:
    Using front fog lights when it is not foggy is an offence.
    Rules of the road suggest that they should be switched off when visibility improves. It doesn't say anything about it being an offence.
    http://www.irishmotoring.ie/car/rulesoftheroad.php?gclid=CJPThpSO_ogCFRj9VgodC0_M_g

• Advertisement

Biro wrote:
    Rules of the road suggest that they should be switched off when visibility improves. It doesn't say anything about it being an offence.
    http://www.irishmotoring.ie/car/rulesoftheroad.php?gclid=CJPThpSO_ogCFRj9VgodC0_M_g
    The RotR is merely a set of guidelines, not a legally binding document, and is a very poorly and sloppily written attempt at that.

From ROAD TRAFFIC (LIGHTING OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI189Y1963.html

(8) Where a vehicle equipped with a fog lamp within the meaning of article 44 of these Regulations is used in a public place, such lamp shall be used only in fog or while snow is falling.

Advertisement