Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating exams?

Options
  • 01-12-2006 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

does anyone know what the story is if you fail a module this year?

I got an email saying something about how they are doing away with Autumn repeats.
    so if you fail you will have to repeat the year?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

If you fail a module say this semester you'll have to repeat it in May alongside your semester 2 modules. (fail December 2006, repeat May 2007)

If you fail a module in semester 2 you'll have to repeat it at the end semester 1 of the following year. (fail May 2007, repeat December 2007)

Do not ask me what on earth will happen if you actually fail a repeat exam because there will be a scenario where someone for example will fail a 2nd year repeat module while they're in 3rd year, what happens then? They get kicked out of 3rd year????

The college bigknobs have changed this to save them some cash by not holding exams in August, the saved cash will probably be invested into a worthwhile casue like Brady's gym. The authorities are setting themselves up for a further organizational headache which will yet again be only to the detriment of students. It is absolutely unfair on students to have to repeat exams on top of other exams, students should have the right to have the opportunity to complete a year before they begin the next year.

I know the UCDSU are opposing this but how much I don't know. This will be a great test to see how much balls Hayden and co. really have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The college bigknobs have changed this to save them some cash by not holding exams in August, the saved cash will probably be invested into a worthwhile casue like Brady's gym.
    Once again Zane, you have taken a complex and delicate issue, baked it in a cake, and tossed it to the fat chicks from weightwatchers. There is more than money in the equation here.
    John Regan posted the following on newswire, and he has a point:
    John Regan wrote:
    I think its a bad idea to protest for August repeats....

First of all the College will not change its stance on August repeats.... FACT

Second, if they did bring back august repeats, that would mean 3 examination sessions per year, 3 timetables covering every module and more work for lecturers during the year. Some lecturers are already bewildered with the whole semesterisation and modularisation, if your going to make them correct another set of exam papers each year, the trade unions will probably get involved. The last thing we need is a strike by the staff in the college.
    The lecturers have made quite clear that they will not facilitate August repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

This doesn't apply to current third years (not finals)?Does it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

bobbi wrote:
    This doesn't apply to current third years (not finals)?Does it?:rolleyes:
    Different courses are organised differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

John Regan posted the following on newswire, and he has a point:
    I think its a bad idea to protest for August repeats....

First of all the College will not change its stance on August repeats.... FACT

Second, if they did bring back august repeats, that would mean 3 examination sessions per year, 3 timetables covering every module and more work for lecturers during the year. Some lecturers are already bewildered with the whole semesterisation and modularisation, if your going to make them correct another set of exam papers each year, the trade unions will probably get involved. The last thing we need is a strike by the staff in the college.

As far as I'm concerned he doesn't have a point.

Firsty, before the introduction of modularisation they were already Christmas exams for Commerce, Science students etc. so there were many cases of 3 examination sessions per college year. Nothing new except for the Arts faculty and maybe a couple others.

Secondly, he completely forgets about his fellow students here. What about students who have will have 2nd year repeat exams thrown on top of 3rd exams for their finals? It's all poor poor lecturers with him. The college have thrown endless amounts of continuous assessment on students with the advent of modularisation, the college have arsed students around telling their degrees are counting ''for this, no that, not now this, sure lets just change it again now''. It's lecturers job to correct papers and there is no particular greater load than previously, it's spread out more over the year now which is the exact same scenario students face. Sure, there is more coursework to be corrected but students face doing this coursework too! UCD's attitude seems to be lets accomodate the lecturers but screw the students? No, it is. This college have shown nothing but contempt towards students over the past year and a half and scrapping repeat exams is yet another example of this. If the college doesn't change their stance here the UCDSU better stick up for their students on this one, defending the scrapping of August repeats is defending the indefensible.
    Once again Zane, you have taken a complex and delicate issue, baked it in a cake, and tossed it to the fat chicks from weightwatchers.

If you think the scrapping of the exams is solely about lecturers not wanting to correct them then you're highly naive. It's well known that the college wants to cut back on costs where they possibly can. August exams cost them money and is inconvenient for them. They save themselves money and hassel by putting on the repeat exams show alongside the original exams but as we all know this is only to the detriment of students. This is where the real issue is.

So Minister, without resorting to your hilarious macho wit this time, can you enlighten me on your stance towards the scrapping of repeat exams issue? It's a bit a lazy to go and quote someone from another website and just say ''he has a point''. What about the real issues like I mentioned in my original post? To go and bypass that and just saying someone has a point seems to me to be a perfect example of someone simplifying and ignoring a complex and delicate issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Another question....
    How many modules can i fail and still be able to repeat in summer 07?
    The college is really unclear on this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

And heres my little one question:
    Whats the deal with "pass by compensation"? Obviously I know what it means but do you have to get a particular grade in the subject that you pc in and the one that you pc with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

U have to pass 3 or more modules and u have to get above 30% in the module u pass with compensation.Thats the way it was last year neway,dunno what the ska is with this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Cheers maxi :)
    Now just one other thing:
    How many subjects can you pass with compensation in?

Advertisement