Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

st andrews??

• 01-12-2006 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

just got confirmation of booking

playing the new course on 19th april and old course on 20th april,

anybody been over there before and played on any of the other courses? like which ones are nicer than others?

i have tee times on old and new course but will prob play some of the other ones while there....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Hi

Lucky you!

Played the Old and Eden courses in August this year.

Old Course is EASY! Esp on a good day. I mean it's easier than you might think. You play off forward tees which make it a doddle. I broke 40 points for the first time AT St. Andrews. Something Special!

Eden is actually a more enjoyable course. Played well there too. Not as classic a links as Old but very good. Worth a play.

New Course (called this despite being 100 years+) is supposed to be the dogs you know what.

Let us know how you get on.

S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hate ya so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

good luck man, hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I'm from Scotland and have played quite a bit of golf up there.

Played the old course a few times and as the previous poster said, it's not that hard a course off the forward tees and in good conditions.

Some great holes on it and it's a pretty special experience the first time you play it. Generally a course everyone should play once.

The best course out of all of them is the New Course though.

drumoig, ladybank, strathyrum are all worth a go too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 nigey

am playing on monday the 22nd april and I cant wait playing the new in the morning and the old in the afternoon, i was trying to get carnoiste where the 07 open is it was 52.50 GBP but they are playing on temps and off mats and i hate mats! any other courses that are worth a shot??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

22nd april is a sunday dude!

does anybody know what the deal with not being allowed bring trolleys onto the old course b4 12 oclock?

my dad wouldnt be able to carry his bag for the round and we dont really want to have a "bag carrier" or caddy with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I only found this out recently. St. Andrews (Old Course) is a public course?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Yeah.. Thought everyone knew that.. It's full of burberry clad ruffians with goldie looking chains and no tops on hacking the place up most of the time. They normally scrub up pretty well around the Dunhill and Open Championship though so fairplay to them for that.. :D

shapez wrote:
    I only found this out recently. St. Andrews (Old Course) is a public course?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

22nd april is a sunday dude!

does anybody know what the deal with not being allowed bring trolleys onto the old course b4 12 oclock?

my dad wouldnt be able to carry his bag for the round and we dont really want to have a "bag carrier" or caddy with us.
    if its a medical thing i'm sure a doctors note would allow him bring a trolley. its definitely an odd rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Adiaga 2 wrote:
    Yeah.. Thought everyone knew that.. It's full of burberry clad ruffians with goldie looking chains and no tops on hacking the place up most of the time. They normally scrub up pretty well around the Dunhill and Open Championship though so fairplay to them for that.. :D

LOL :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dunken Driver

just got confirmation of booking

playing the new course on 19th april and old course on 20th april,

anybody been over there before and played on any of the other courses? like which ones are nicer than others?

i have tee times on old and new course but will prob play some of the other ones while there....

Course is on a loop so hit it left and you won't go out of bounds is the general rule for the Old course, of course if you get in a bunker.....may god be with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Admiral

Rick ur in for one hell of a treat. ur gonna love the st. andrews.
    played it late august last year with my brother-in-law and we had a ball!!!!!

Its true that is a publin course and its also true that u cant bring a buggy onto the course b4 12. this is stop any damage from frost etc. as far as i know you can hire a caddy for about £50 (sterling).

From the moment u arrive in st. andrews u'll be blown away with the history and the fealing u get from just been there.

As the course is a public course its closed every sunday and people are free to walk the course and take in the sights. Make sure u get a photo of the two of u on the bridge on the 18th.and dont be afraid to trow a ball in the 17th famous bunker (everyone does it). The greens are not quiet what you'll expect but the run very fast and true.

Have some lunch if u have time in the club house (i recommend the burger :-) )and make sure u visit the locker rooms and check out all the photos and stuff on the wall.

As for the course it does play quiet short. We had a 1 hcp guy from sweden play with us and he had no problem drive the greens on 9 and 10 with his 3 wood. If the wind is blowing hard its a hole other matter.

The staff, just like the scotish people are the nicesest and most helpful people you will ever meet.

If want any more info about just let me know.

My clame to fame was sinking a 65 foot put on the 3rd :)

Admiral.

p.s. u'll get a little pressie from the starter, put it away safe and admire it when ur finished.

jesus sorry didnt think i needed a calander, i ment the 23rd and cant wait :p

hi ill be going in april playing the new and old in the same day where did you stay? i am looking at some hotels but very expensive! cant wait for it tho heard the new course is deadly!

my cousin has a five bedroom house exactly 7km from the first tee on the old course. thats where im staying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Admiral

Not much help on the hotel side of things. I stayed in Wishaw, bout 2 hours from st andrews as i was over for a family wedding!

no sorry, apologies for that....

try get accomodation in fyfe. its very close to st andrews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

I've been over there in Scotland quite a few times.Have played most of the Championship courses. When I went to the East side we stayed in the BEIN INN in GLENFARIG its about threequaters of an hour from the airport right in the heart of the golf country the best courses you can play all within 20/30 miles.Its about 6/7 yrs. since i've been there but the Owner who was a scratch player makes the reservations for you.If you look in any of the golf mags.you should be able to get the booking info.When we went to Turnbury or Troon we stayed in the big hotel if you watch out they used to do specials. You could also check with the AYRSHIRE tourist office I'm sure they would help. Anyway your in for a treat in St. Andrews make sure you go to the golf musem and the Golf factiores and see them make golf clubs.All the best dont look till it drops. Boysie39

Advertisement