Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Sign Larsson on 3 month loan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

It's one of those strange football moments really. Can't wait to see him playing for United. I reckon he'll be more of super sub though. We were really desperate for that extra option from the bench against Celtic and Chelsea (O'Shea and Fletcher hardly inspire confidence).

He'll be eligible for Champs League too won't he??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Wow! Not even the great Mystic Meg could have seen that one coming. Could well prove to be one of the shrewdest signings of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It will be good to finally see him play in England. Just think back to the champion's league final, he turned the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I know it's only 3 months but what a signing, I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a new United player let alone excited at all.

He'll bang them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

not a Utd fan... at all!

But i have to tip my hat to Sir Alex... could win them the league (remember champions league final)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Torres now that would be some signing but sigining the Swedish Ole Gunnar is not exactly amazing, and for 3months just so he can keep his fitness up because of his age and get paid for it. Its a good deal of Larsson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sundula wrote:
    Torres now that would be some signing but sigining the Swedish Ole Gunnar is not exactly amazing, and for 3months just so he can keep his fitness up because of his age and get paid for it. Its a good deal of Larsson.

you obviously didn't watch the Champions league final last season then. He may be old, but he can still change games and win them!

it's a good deal for both parties, Larsson will also be good for the young heads (like Rossi) at united.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Nice one. Badly needed in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Years too late, but better late than never as VDS has shown.

I think it'll stop SAF panic buying in January (Defoe ffs!) and he can maybe buy another midfielder..

He'll be good to have in the squad, and also it means there isn't as much pressure on smith now, but it gives him an incentive to get the nod before Larsson...

Good deal for all concerned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Pighead wrote:
    Wow! Not even the great Mystic Meg could have seen that one coming. Could well prove to be one of the shrewdest signings of the year.

Never, ever diss Mystic Meg.

Great signing btw - absolute legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

sundula wrote:
    juding by your comments in the Utd thread and here you wouldn't be a little bitter would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Excellent peice of business for United.

As for Sundulas comments? This is what Henry said about Larsson during the Champions League Final "People always talk about Ronaldinho, and everything but I didn't see him today - I saw Henrik Larsson. Two times he came on - he changed the game, that is what killed the game - sometimes you talk about Ronaldinho and Eto'o and people like that, you need to talk about the proper footballer who made the difference and that was Henrik Larsson tonight..."

If I had to choose between a player like Larsson and Torres between January and the end of the season, I'd take Larsson easy. Torres has done nothing in his careers fo far and no big games under his belt. Larsson on the other hand seems to thrive under the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Hmmm...

3 months is a bit short. He would fill the super-sub role very nicely. Teddy Sheringham shouldn't have been let go IMO. Its great to bring on a level headed, proven goal scorer with 15 minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Great signing. An absolute legend and class player still. Great coming off the bench as well as starting and gives United something which they are lacking slightly at the moment. An aerial threat up front.

If it goes well wonder if United might tempt Helsingborgs with a few quid to let him have another few months on loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

bucks73 wrote:
    If it goes well wonder if United might tempt Helsingborgs with a few quid to let him have another few months on loan?
    I would imagine that United have paid a nominal fee for his services as well as covering his wages for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

If I had to choose between a player like Larsson and Torres between January and the end of the season, I'd take Larsson easy. Torres has done nothing in his careers fo far and no big games under his belt. Larsson on the other hand seems to thrive under the pressure.

Agreed. Comparing an accomplished proven goalscorer (admittedly old), who has already performed in a league similiar to the english prem and played a blinder in the champions league final, to an unproven, inconsistent player like Torres is madness.

You know what you're getting with Larsson. And, for the money (or lack thereof), it's steal. A shrewd move. And the best thing is that it stops us spunking our limited transfer funds on Forlan Part II or the Dafoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I cant believe this. such a strange thing to happen. 3 months though.... ah well. Pity he didnt join a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

rossi will benefit the most here

could be strange though, he will have to work very hard on his fitness between now and january

assume he can train with the team before Jan? anyone know for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Big surprise. Good deal. I thought he was outstanding for Barca in the Champions League and thought it was a shame he left for Sweden, felt he had more in the tank.

He will give us an option from the bench which is what we badly need. Im hoping seen as we have spent 0 on a striker that money will be spent on a midfielder now.

Hes training with United at the moment, going home to Sweden for XMAS then back to United for Jan 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Like Wheres me jumpa said, he's training with United from Dec 12th I think and will spend Christmas and New Year in Sweden.

Could be a very shrewd signing, two of the games he is eligible to play in would be Liverpool and Arsenal away, never mind the two knock out rounds in the CL (assuming we get through that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Wow! that's the most unexpected football news in a looong time.
    I hope we can extend the loan until the end of the season. I think it would be quite a bit of a disruption if he leaves in march as planned, whatever role he is fulfilling at the time.
    I don't think his fitness will be a problem especially if he's used as a super sub.
    What a legend and what a deal for United. - this makes me smile. And it's much better for us than the unproved Torres would have been. although, admittedly, it's a short term solution because of his age. All we need now is some good midfield back up/prospects in in January.

TheMonster wrote:
    juding by your comments in the Utd thread and here you wouldn't be a little bitter would you?

Why the f**k would anyone be bitter about Man U signing a 35 year old from Helsingborg. He is well past his best and is coming in for ten weeks as a subsitute if he is prepared to risk United results by introducing a 35 year old to one of the highest tempo and toughest leagues in the world then on his be it but seening as they seem to rate Rossi so highly then why dont they start using him in January. SAF hasnt a clue who he is going to sign up front not now and he will be none the wiser by June. Irish Manu fans are just so happy because now they can Larsson on the back of their red jerseys. In my opinion this deal is exciting as Villa sgining Sutton.

I would imagine that United have paid a nominal fee for his services as well as covering his wages for the year.

Meant a few quid more. Obviously he isnt working for free. :D

sundula wrote:
    Why the f**k would anyone be bitter about Man U signing a 35 year old from Helsingborg. He is well past his best and is coming in for ten weeks as a subsitute if he is prepared to risk United results by introducing a 35 year old to one of the highest tempo and toughest leagues in the world then on his be it but seening as they seem to rate Rossi so highly then why dont they start using him in January. SAF hasnt a clue who he is going to sign up front not now and he will be none the wiser by June. Irish Manu fans are just so happy because now they can Larsson on the back of their red jerseys. In my opinion this deal is exciting as Villa sgining Sutton.
    point proven;)

TheMonster wrote:
    point proven;)

Yeah, yawn.

Rush out a get Larsson on your jersey. I wouldnt like to see how excitied you would get if Ferguson actually brought in a player with a future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's the same as Fowler signing for the pool.

RasTa wrote:

Er, Fowler's an unprofessional, bloated, booze swilling has-been who hasn't performed in years.

Larsson is lean and a proper professional to boot who showed he is able to perform at the highest level just a few months ago.

Don't get me wrong - this is a stop gap measure in the extreme. But it's better than what we have and I think he'll do ok.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote:
    yeah right - Larsson played CL final last year - Fowler was playing for City.

Sundula - are you trolling or can you not see the purpose of the signing - its a short term solution to have a decent option on the bench. No-one is saying its a long term option. He is proven quality that will add to and not unsettle the squad.

RasTa wrote:

Lol.

im not a man u or a celtic fan, but surely anyone can see the value of this deal

man u need a striker in january and probably a midfielder too
    i dont think fergie has enough money for both
    he will get funds in january and more in the summer
    he probably wants hargreaves, and if so that a large chunk of transfer fee.

as a result, he has around 1-2 million for a striker

who will you get for that?
    no one

so instead he has got a striker who was lethal in the last few years.
    he has lost a touch of pace, but none of his ability or cleverness

he could be the difference this year for them

and if he does nothing?
    well he wont have lost them the league as some are suggesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wow! that's the most unexpected football news in a looong time.
    Since the Summer when Tevex and Mascherono(SP) went to West Ham.......

He is a decent stop gap measure in the Sheringham mould. Sheringham wanted to move on when he left United, I think United wanted to keep him.

He is a good option to have and it does improve the bench a lot. Another midfielder in Jan and another addition to the striking options next Summer would be nice.

event wrote:

QUOTE]

WAS lethal and has no pace. Over ten weeks it will make very limited if any difference.

Surely if Rossi is coming back it would be better give him the opportunity to sit on the bench. The deal is more like Keane to Celtic which was a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eirebhoy wrote:
    I felt this needed a thread of it's own. Ferguson only enquired about him last night and it's already a done deal. Great signing for United. He's an instintive goalscorer and a superb header of the ball.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6198464.stm

Unexpected one alright. Ferguson was on the radio news saying they started inquiring a month ago.

Could well fill a gap, but will solskjear not be back by then?

quad_red wrote:
    Er, Fowler's an unprofessional, bloated, booze swilling has-been who hasn't performed in years.

Larsson is lean and a proper professional to boot who showed he is able to perform at the highest level just a few months ago.

Don't get me wrong - this is a stop gap measure in the extreme. But it's better than what we have and I think he'll do ok.

I'm supprised an obvious football efficionado as yourself has failed to notice how , while Fowler is not what he was, he is the opposite of everything else you said. How can him workinghis ass of in traning, sitting on the bench waiting for a chance of a game and all the while talking positive be unprofessional? As far as bloated, he is as lean and trim as he has ever been and doing a lot more running than other strikers in the league 5 or 10 years younger.As for booze-swilling? well thats a throwaway comment you put in for effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Decent signing. Too say hes a better to have then torries is a bit OTT though.

sundula wrote:
    event wrote:

QUOTE]

WAS lethal and has no pace. Over ten weeks it will make very limited if any difference.

Surely if Rossi is coming back it would be better give him the opportunity to sit on the bench. The deal is more like Keane to Celtic which was a complete waste of time.

has teddy any pace?
    has andy cole?

even if he scores one goal that is the winner and if united in the league by a point, it will have been worth the risk

i dont read here to much, so i dont know who you support, but just your few posts do seem very anti manu.

at the end of the day, none of us can pass judgement yet

perhaps it will be like keane to celtic
    or perhaps it will be like cantona to man u

we just have to wait and see

event wrote:
    sundula wrote:

has teddy any pace?
    has andy cole?

even if he scores one goal that is the winner and if united in the league by a point, it will have been worth the risk

i dont read here to much, so i dont know who you support, but just your few posts do seem very anti manu.

at the end of the day, none of us can pass judgement yet

perhaps it will be like keane to celtic
    or perhaps it will be like cantona to man u

we just have to wait and see

No well spotted Teddy and Cole have no pace and you can see clear where they stand in the goal scoring charts.
    Just because I think this is a pointless signing does not make me anti Man U. I am offering my opinion. In fairness i think the deal is nothing like Cantona to Man U in all fairness Cantona had a future and a hunger to win. Larsson on Skysports.com seems to think the whole thing is "a bit of fun".

Kanu has no pace either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

There is no doubting that Larsson is a quality player so he would be a great addition to United's (or anyones) squad. Particularly over the busy Christmas and New Year periods. I presume he isn't cup tied either for the CL, where his experience will also be a big bonus.

He's naturally fit anyway but coming off the back of the Swedish season he'll slot straight in.

The one point that I would raise some concerns over if I were a United fan would be how they will adjust when he leaves, having been used to having him around. Obviously the anticipation would be that by then Smith and Solskjaer would be back fit again, but can the team really expect Solskjaer to ever remain fully fit at this stage? Larsson is also a better forward than Smith.

He is a player I admire and like so it'll be tough to cheer him on in a United shirt, unless he scores the winner at Anfield, in his own net.

• Advertisement

Too say hes a better to have then torries is a bit OTT though.

I agree for a Man U to even put Larsson over Torres is alot over the top. Torres has an unbelieveable record and to say he is unproven is idiotic. He is still 22 and has a fantastic goal scoring record and more importantly a future. Thats the kind of player Chelsea will be looking for in January and if United are serious its the type of player they should be looking at. All the time and money they spend developing youngsters and scouting the world for players and this is what they come up with a 10 week loan of Larsson.

Stekelly wrote:
    I'm supprised an obvious football efficionado as yourself has failed to notice how , while Fowler is not what he was, he is the opposite of everything else you said. How can him workinghis ass of in traning, sitting on the bench waiting for a chance of a game and all the while talking positive be unprofessional? As far as bloated, he is as lean and trim as he has ever been and doing a lot more running than other strikers in the league 5 or 10 years younger.As for booze-swilling? well thats a throwaway comment you put in for effect.

Fair dues, Fowler has attempted to redress the situation he found himself in. He has lost the weight and appears to be behaving himself. Fowler's stunning talent cannot be denied. But he wasted it. Years of neglect have robbed him of the ability to perform in the premiership. Yes, he was unlucky with injuries. But he pissed it all away. The fact that he is now working harder than a 20 year old athlete in their prime doesn't say much unfortunately. He was signed to Liverpool based on a gleaming distant past.

And he was signed because Liverpool were desperate.

That is where the similarity with Larsson ends. Utd are desperate. But I think they're signing something else entirely. A dedicated pro who performed superbly under enormous pressure just a few months ago.

Perhaps I was a tad harsh on Fowler. But it's a pathetic thing to see greatness pissed away.

sundula wrote:
    I agree for a Man U to even put Larsson over Torres is alot over the top. Torres has an unbelieveable record and to say he is unproven is idiotic. He is still 22 and has a fantastic goal scoring record and more importantly a future. Thats the kind of player Chelsea will be looking for in January and if United are serious its the type of player they should be looking at. All the time and money they spend developing youngsters and scouting the world for players and this is what they come up with a 10 week loan of Larsson.
    This is a little out there but something tells me that Torres wouldn't be available for a three month loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

bucks73 wrote:
    Lol.

Here I'm a staunch united fan as well. But I ain't getting to carried away with this. I never expect him to start and will be pleased when he comes on but I want new players coming to our club, not old legends for 3 months.

This is a little out there but something tells me that Torres wouldn't be available for a three month loan.
    TutTut JT - you know that ruins his argument:p

bucks73 wrote:
    Kanu has no pace either?

No, and this is the first season he has managed to bag goals at an out and out strikers rate. He wont be top scorer in May. He has 5 years on Larsson. He is able to play 90 minutes, has made 12 starts a 2 sub appearances, which likely to be the reverse of Larsson and he has been in England for a couple of years and is used to the speed of play.

quad_red wrote:
    Fair dues, Fowler has attempted to redress the situation he found himself in. He has lost the weight and appears to be behaving himself. Fowler's stunning talent cannot be denied. But he wasted it. Years of neglect have robbed him of the ability to perform in the premiership. Yes, he was unlucky with injuries. But he pissed it all away. The fact that he is now working harder than a 20 year old athlete in their prime doesn't say much unfortunately. He was signed to Liverpool based on a gleaming distant past.

And he was signed because Liverpool were desperate.

That is where the similarity with Larsson ends. Utd are desperate. But I think they're signing something else entirely. A dedicated pro who performed superbly under enormous pressure just a few months ago.

Perhaps I was a tad harsh on Fowler. But it's a pathetic thing to see greatness pissed away.
    While I don't want to bring this down the road of Fowler VS Larsson, Fowler was forced out of Liverpool and then had severe injury problems at Leeds/City.

Liverpool were not desperate when they signed him. They had four fit strikers on their books at the time.

There are plenty of similarities between the two deals.

Not talking about a 3month loan - unless of course Man U are completly skint and plan to swap players and do loan deals to keep themselves going.

sundula wrote:
    Not talking about a 3month loan - unless of course Man U are completly skint and plan to swap players and do loan deals to keep themselves going.
    Torres would cost > £20M and who says he is even available?

How do you know they haven't already signed him next for next Summer. United only need a temporary fix up top, there aren't many better pairing in the league than Rooney and Saha.

They need cover because of Solskjaer's injury problems, in Larsson they have it. End of story.

Larsson would arguably push for a place in any Premiership side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Who do you support? @ Sundula
    Anyway, Man U have spent money, Evra, Vidic, Carrick!
    And will probably buy another player in the window.
    It looks like Athletico won't let torres go til the summer, so i'd say united will be striker hunting in the summer, not January

• Advertisement
Advertisement