Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Sign Larsson on 3 month loan

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

. Particularly over the busy Christmas and New Year periods. I presume he isn't cup tied either for the CL, where his experience will also be a big bonus.

He is not signing till Jan the 1st. Man U have 4 games in Jan and 3 in Feb from what i can see, hardly a busy period. He wont be there for any CL games so it wont make a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bucks73 wrote:
    Kanu has no pace either?

Thats cos he's really 64. By all acounts he was a rocket before he got injured in 'nam.

There is no doubting that Larsson is a quality player so he would be a great addition to United's (or anyones) squad. Particularly over the busy Christmas and New Year periods. I presume he isn't cup tied either for the CL, where his experience will also be a big bonus..

I'm sure he'd be great to have over christmas, but unfortunately he cant play till january.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

sundula wrote:
    WAS lethal and has no pace. Over ten weeks it will make very limited if any difference.
    No pace my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Decent signing. Too say hes a better to have then torries is a bit OTT though.

possibly, though Torres is rated OTT as it is

sofireland wrote:
    Who do you support? @ Sundula
    Anyway, Man U have spent money, Evra, Vidic, Carrick!
    And will probably buy another player in the window.
    It looks like Athletico won't let torres go til the summer, so i'd say united will be striker hunting in the summer, not January

I support Blackburn because i grew up there and if we signed Larsson people would say it was a desperate gamble.

I am well aware they spent money i was just making a point because another poster suggested i was saying Torres would be a loan deal.

If you speculate on Torres value of 20mil+ then i think you speculate on his availabilty. Everyone is for sale its just a matter of price. i introduced Torres to this because i do believe he is /was a target for Man U and if Ferguson has looked at his squad and thought - " i could do with someone up front" I would have thought he would try to bring in a permanent target and if that fails then use Rossi.

I started a prevous thread about Rossi - basically because of the hyoe and media attention he was getting considering he had done nothing. I would sooner see him challenge on the Man U bench. He is coming back in Jan anyway and at least he has youth on his side.

Personally i dont think they will bring in any one else during the Window

sofireland wrote:
    Who do you support? @ Sundula
    Anyway, Man U have spent money, Evra, Vidic, Carrick!
    And will probably buy another player in the window.
    It looks like Athletico won't let torres go til the summer, so i'd say united will be striker hunting in the summer, not January

I support Blackburn because i grew up there and if we signed Larsson people would say it was a desperate gamble.

I am well aware they spent money i was just making a point because another poster suggested i was saying Torres would be a loan deal.

If you speculate on Torres value of 20mil+ then i think you speculate on his availabilty. Everyone is for sale its just a matter of price. i introduced Torres to this because i do believe he is /was a target for Man U and if Ferguson has looked at his squad and thought - " i could do with someone up front" I would have thought he would try to bring in a permanent target and if that fails then use Rossi.

I started a prevous thread about Rossi - basically because of the hyoe and media attention he was getting considering he had done nothing. I would sooner see him challenge on the Man U bench. He is coming back in Jan anyway and at least he has youth on his side.

Personally i dont think they will bring in any one else during the Window

quad_red wrote:
    Fair dues, Fowler has attempted to redress the situation he found himself in. He has lost the weight and appears to be behaving himself. Fowler's stunning talent cannot be denied. But he wasted it. Years of neglect have robbed him of the ability to perform in the premiership. Yes, he was unlucky with injuries. But he pissed it all away. The fact that he is now working harder than a 20 year old athlete in their prime doesn't say much unfortunately. He was signed to Liverpool based on a gleaming distant past.

And he was signed because Liverpool were desperate.

That is where the similarity with Larsson ends. Utd are desperate. But I think they're signing something else entirely. A dedicated pro who performed superbly under enormous pressure just a few months ago.

Perhaps I was a tad harsh on Fowler. But it's a pathetic thing to see greatness pissed away.

The only reason for Fowler havign a "lost period" is because Houllier sold him and he was desperately unhappy about leaving anddidnt want to play anywhere else. As a result, he wasnt really putting in the effort but he also picked up some bad injuries. He was scoring regulary right up till he left Liverpool ( he got a hattrick in his last game or 2nd last one, also scored 20 that season, despite houllier palyeing him svery 3rd game or so, no striker can perform like that) That fact that City fans were givign ou tyard swhen he was let leave and go back to Liverpool says something at least. Anyway, this isnt a Fowler thread, but I felt he needed defending when he was being attacked for no reason and in a thread nothing to do with him.

Re: Larsson , is he not going to be in Solskjear's "supersub" role? What happens with solskjear.

As for people saying Rossi should be given the chance. If he was ready he wouldnt be at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

sundula wrote:

I disagree. I think the response would be similar to what it is now. If Blackburn signed him the same negativity wouldn't be coming from you.

I disagree. I think the response would be similar to what it is now. If Blackburn signed him the same negativity wouldn't be coming from you.

Yes i would - i'm pretty consistent when it comes to negativity. I dont like stop gap measures. In my opinion it show no forward planning especially in an 10 week time frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Stekelly wrote:
    Anyway, this isnt a Fowler thread, but I felt he needed defending when he was being attacked for no reason and in a thread nothing to do with him.

I agree! I didn't bring him up in the first place! I just responded to a previous post. Anyway, we all have our opinions. This town's big enough for all of us.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Re: Larsson , is he not going to be in Solskjear's "supersub" role? What happens with solskjear.
    Stekelly wrote:

Well, when you consider what is on the bench (O'shea, fletcher, richardson) and Saha's injury record, then Larsson playing with Ole isn't so bad.
    Stekelly wrote:
    As for people saying Rossi should be given the chance. If he was ready he wouldnt be at Newcastle.

In all fairness, what is ANY player going to learn at the shambles that is Newcastle? I'm not sure if Rossi has what it takes but he certainly wasn't going to learn there.

Stekelly wrote:

I think it might be more true to say that if he was any good he wouldnt be at Newcastle. With his U21 Italian stats and he under age United stats he must warrant some feature if he is ever going to feature. This guy is 20 not 16 or 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This was quite a shock, Larsson will still be a legend despite this move :D

quad_red wrote:
    IWell, when you consider what is on the bench (O'shea, fletcher, richardson) and Saha's injury record, then Larsson playing with Ole isn't so bad.

I think you'll find O'shea got a cracker of Henry proportions at the weekend, also lets not forget the way he instictivly used his arse to scored in the CL. What other striker would have had the skill for that. :D

On thta note it is a bit worrying at certain times what players are put on when teams are chasing goals. Mourinho used Huth as his supersub for a good while. Utd try the same with O'Shea and Liverpool have Bellamy. :)

On the Rossi situation, befor eNewcastle fans get on my case , I wasnt saying they are crap, just that he wouldnt be on loan at all if he was ready to play for Utd, it just happend that he was at Newcastle.

sundula wrote:
    I think it might be more true to say that if he was any good he wouldnt be at Newcastle. With his U21 Italian stats and he under age United stats he must warrant some feature if he is ever going to feature. This guy is 20 not 16 or 17.

Could end up in a similar situation to Mellor at Liverpool, banged in goals for the ressies, but never really made that step up, bar a couple of very important appearances, which make him a legend in my book.:)

At this stage with players coming through so early, you really have to be making your mark by 18-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

sundula wrote:
    Yes i would - i'm pretty consistent when it comes to negativity. I dont like stop gap measures. In my opinion it show no forward planning especially in an 10 week time frame.

Maybe Utd intend to have Alan Smith back to full fitness at that stage. I don't know why you're getting so worked up about it when the only effect it'll have on you or your team is, erm, none :confused:

This was quite a shock, Larsson will still be a legend despite this move :D

No disagreements from me on either point. But i got the feeling when he left the cameo role at Barca he was looking to a 'semi-retirement' in Sweden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He was looking to move back to Sweden for his family as his son was starting school. Barcelona & their fans done a lot to try and get Larsson to stay (so did Celtic when he left) which is one of the reasons this is such a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sundula wrote:
    No disagreements from me on either point. But i got the feeling when he left the cameo role at Barca he was looking to a 'semi-retirement' in Sweden.

well he obviously has the itch to play some high level football again. also, it's only been a few months since he left barca, so its not like he's not been playing for a few years... your argument that he's a has been doesn't make sense to me. Andhis role at Barca was far more than any "cameo role".Seriously did you watch him at all with Barca? The CLfinal was only a few months ago. He offers cover, experience and the ability to change games to Utd, something they lack now. You cannot deny that even though he has seen better days, he will have a positive impact on Utd.

Also if Blackburn signed him it would be seen as the coup of the century to coax him out of "semi-retirement" after all the efforts Celtic and Barca made.

Also to everyone who'd rather see SAF sign a younger player, I don't think he'll have any money until Summer after buying Carrick so this is a good move in the intirim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

usually, im not a fan of signing old players. It damages the youth setup and hinders their development.

However a 3month deal for a quality player can't be criticised. His link play, touch of magic, ability to score goals means he will fit in perfect at Utd with the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo along side him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

quad_red wrote:
    But it's a pathetic thing to see greatness pissed away.

Not a fan of George best then?

I thought all United fans were.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Also to everyone who'd rather see SAF sign a younger player, I don't think he'll have any money until Summer after buying Carrick so this is a good move in the intirim.
    well when we qualify for the knockouts(:o hopefully) there will be guaranteed money available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

sundula, you seem to think that United see this as a long term fix. They don't, obviously. They have youth in their side in the shape of Rooney and Ronaldo, they have Saha who could get injured or go through a dip in form and Rossi sure as heck won't be ready for big games straight after Christmas considering he's hardly played for Newcastle. If Rossi's good enough he'll get his chance and I'm sure that he can at least pick up a lot from training with Larsson.

United need a player that can come off the bench and turn a game. An experienced player who knows here the goal is and Larsson could well do that for 10 weeks. I'm not be sure that Torres could come in in January and settle straight away, that's if he's even available.

To compare it to Celtic signing Keane is idiotic. Any United fan could see Keane's body was ravaged by injury by the time he left United, Larsson is still fit.

My own feeling is if United are away to Liverpool and need a goal I'd be a lot happier seeing Larsson coming on with 20 minutes to go than I would O'Shea or Fletcher as happened against Chelsea recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

smemon wrote:
    usually, im not a fan of signing old players. It damages the youth setup and hinders their development.

Aii, it does alright. Totally criples it. Destroys it in fact. Worse than a tsunami apparantly.

Maybe Utd intend to have Alan Smith back to full fitness at that stage. I don't know why you're getting so worked up about it when the only effect it'll have on you or your team is, erm, none :confused:

Im not worked up about it and secondly do i have to support Man U to comment on this ??

I dont recall saying he was a has been but he past his best and the wrong side of 30 and thats a fact. He didnt start the CL final so cameo is a fair description in my opnion. He hasnt the legs for first fulltime soccer and thats fair enough. So you could say its a tactical buy. If things arent going right bring him on for impact a sort of like bringing on the 6'6" guy with the 10 minutes to go and playing it long.

As regards Larsson himself coming out of semi-retirement - i dont think so his quote on the skysports website is that playing for Man U will be Fun, doesnt sound to serious to me and certainly doesnt imply that he plans to start many games.

Bringing Larsson out of retirement a coup for Blackburn no - no. Bringing Alan Shearer out of retirement now that would be a coup for Blackburn:)

SteM wrote:
    United need a player that can come off the bench and turn a game. An experienced player who knows here the goal is and Larsson could well do that for 10 weeks. I'm not be sure that Torres could come in in January and settle straight away, that's if he's even available.

To compare it to Celtic signing Keane is idiotic. Any United fan could see Keane's body was ravaged by injury by the time he left United, Larsson is still fit.

My own feeling is if United are away to Liverpool and need a goal I'd be a lot happier seeing Larsson coming on with 20 minutes to go than I would O'Shea or Fletcher as happened against Chelsea recently.

I never said i saw it as long term, thats my point why dont they think long term. Whos to say Larrson can come in and settle any better than Torres would? How is it idiotic i think you will find Larsson has had his share of crippling injuries like his first season at Barca - six months out with snappes ligaments and horific double leg break at at Celtic. How do you know he is so fit. Keane was a model professional like Larsson who step down to the SPL after years of top flight. Temp wise toe Prem will be a big step up. I dont see snything idiotic in that comparsion . Both shock deals, both wrong side of their best, both going to massive clubs. If you check back you see Larsson has had some terrible injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

sundula wrote:
    I dont recall saying he was a has been but he past his best and the wrong side of 30 and thats a fact.
    The Larsson that played for Barca is good enough for most Man U fans to be happy with. What have you seen of Larsson to suggest he won't be as good as he was at Barca? Only Ronaldinho and Puyol would have been more of a fans favourite at Barca than Larsson. They loved him.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This is what he should look like in a Man U shirt:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Odd signing, considering Utd fans were expecting a Tevez/Torres type signing at xmas. Man Utd dont take players on loan they send them out on loan....very odd tbh.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Aquos76 wrote:
    This is what he should look like in a Man U shirt:D :D

{fashion guru}

oooo, those colors dont go with your complexion henrick! bad move, something with Blue and White i think would suit you much better.... like Blackburn Rovers ? :D

Will be Great to see him in the prem, looking forward to it....even if it is with united <groan>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

sundula wrote:

No well spotted Teddy and Cole have no pace and you can see clear where they stand in the goal scoring charts.
    Just because I think this is a pointless signing does not make me anti Man U. I am offering my opinion. In fairness i think the deal is nothing like Cantona to Man U in all fairness Cantona had a future and a hunger to win. Larsson on Skysports.com seems to think the whole thing is "a bit of fun".

ah, so you pick out this season, when they have barely played?

cole hasnt even started a game, yet has two goals in 7 subs
    teddy with 1 in 10 appearances (3 starts)

yet if you look at cole last year, he started 20 games and 9 goals, not bad for no pace, eh?

BTW, do you mean that larsson doesnt have a hunger to win?

pace isnt needed up front if you are clever enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Larsson never had pace, if he had he be in the 1000s of goals by now.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

thinking this is a good deal,stunned earlier on when i heard the news but i`ve had all day to stew over it,utd fans if feel we take to him big time and hopefully he can bang the goals in which we know he can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

No doubting the man, hes a legend :D

Have to say though Id say he will do well to get 5 goals during the few months, Id be happy with that.

Anybody know how many goals he got at Helsingborgs since he left Barca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Excellent peice of business for United.

As for Sundulas comments? This is what Henry said about Larsson during the Champions League Final "People always talk about Ronaldinho, and everything but I didn't see him today - I saw Henrik Larsson. Two times he came on - he changed the game, that is what killed the game - sometimes you talk about Ronaldinho and Eto'o and people like that, you need to talk about the proper footballer who made the difference and that was Henrik Larsson tonight..."

Excellent quote there and even Sundula couldn't attempt to argue that Henry [spit] was a United supporter, but he recognised the genius that is Larsson. He could very well play the Teddy Sheringham role for us. Sheringham was brought in as a stop gap initially; and look how he turned out! The thought of Larsson playing in a United shirt excites me (even if I'd have preferred it to be 4 or 5 years ago).

Oh yeah and for anyone that's interested here are Larssons PL games:
    Newcastle v Man Utd
    Man Utd v Aston Villa
    Arsenal v Man Utd
    Man Utd v Watford
    Tottenham v Man Utd
    Man Utd v Charlton
    Fulham v Man Utd
    Liverpool v Man Utd

Be nice to finish with a hatrick at anfield. :D

Excellent quote there and even Sundula couldn't attempt to argue that Henry [spit] was a United supporter, but he recognised the genius that is Larsson. He could very well play the Teddy Sheringham role for us. Sheringham was brought in as a stop gap initially; and look how he turned out! The thought of Larsson playing in a United shirt excites me (even if I'd have preferred it to be 4 or 5 years ago).

/QUOTE]

Henry maybe be a manger sometime and then we will really see how good a judge of a player he is. But seen as he is supposed to be recommend Chelsea's much overated SWP as a potential Arsenal signing i think the jury may be out on how good a judge of a player/match he is. I would put little pass on pro's praising pro's.

Advertisement