Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New US citizenship test.

Options
  • 01-12-2006 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Story is here..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6197422.stm

TBH I don't know what all the moaning is about. A friend of mine got US citizenship some years back and she told me that the exam was much harder then what they were suggesting. She had to name all the local senators and other officials as well as answer questions on the history of the area she was living in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hobbes wrote:
    She had to name all the local senators
    Both of them? Good lord.
    Prospective citizens will, for example, be asked to explain the conditions which led to the US civil war - unlike the current test in which they simply have to answer that it freed the slaves.
    It's not that often that a BBC news article reminds me of The Simpsons but...
    Proctor: All right, here's your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?
    Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter--
    Proctor: Wait, wait... just say slavery.
    Apu: Slavery it is, sir.
    That specific part of the new test is almost certainly a step forward then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The article notes the main concern immigrant groups have - with very poor english skills it will be much harder to layout complex answers [what caused the civil war], than just to write down "Slavery".

The solution seems to be to improve their english - The US doesnt have an official language iirc, but english is the language of government and the majority so if they havent got a good command of english theyre screwed anyway.

I was going to say it will be something that will be an issue for us here in Ireland [poor english skills amongst immigrants], but it is already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Is that even the correct answer? (Slavery)
    Surely the answer is Seccession.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In places, Spanish (El Paso & New Mexico) and English are the ´official´ languages. However, as I understand it one of the tests for immigration is ability to speak English, to prevent immigrants being exploited.
    RedPlanet wrote:
    Is that even the correct answer? (Slavery)
    Surely the answer is Seccession.
    Ah, thats being technical. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

sceptre wrote:
    Both of them? Good lord.

and the local mayor, and the previous senators and previous mayor as I recall. As well as the street of city halls location and other stuff like that.

I'm surprised they didn't ask her what was on top of the weathervane of Faunil Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Essey

Hobbes wrote:
    and the local mayor, and the previous senators and previous mayor as I recall. As well as the street of city halls location and other stuff like that.

Only current political figures - unless they were presidents. One would hope that if one wanted citizenship to a particular state and possibly intended to vote there - one should at least know who the incumbents - should one not??

Advertisement