Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car, New Wheels

Options
  • 01-12-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm thinkin of gettin a VW golf 1.4 over the next week or 2 (as my first car). Prob gonna be a 00 or 01. I've looked at a few that I like, but if i purchase one of them I feel that i'm gonna need some nice shiny alloys (nothin too bling but you know) in comparison to the plain wheels that are on these models.

Roughly how much would I be talkin bout, say for new 16' or 17' wheels/alloys??

Oh and does anybody have any good links or recommendations where to buy??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

www.rochfordtyres.co.uk have some great deals and a huge selection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Fizman wrote:
    Hi all,
    I'm thinkin of gettin a VW golf 1.4 over the next week or 2 (as my first car). Prob gonna be a 00 or 01. I've looked at a few that I like, but if i purchase one of them I feel that i'm gonna need some nice shiny alloys (nothin too bling but you know) in comparison to the plain wheels that are on these models.

Roughly how much would I be talkin bout, say for new 16' or 17' wheels/alloys??

Oh and does anybody have any good links or recommendations where to buy??

Cheers
    Whatever you do, I think 16" wheels are plenty big enough on a 1.4 golf. Anything bigger would look out of place on such a conservative looking car. Larger rims means tyres will cost more and also have a shorter life span. Whatever alloys you buy, do not go for replicas, they tend to buckle more easily, best to go with an established brand ... manufactured to oem quality standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

TomMc wrote:
    Whatever you do, I think 16" wheels are plenty big enough on a 1.4 golf. Anything bigger would look out of place on such a conservative looking car. Larger rims means tyres will cost more and also have a shorter life span.
    I would agree...that 1.4 Golf is going to be god damn slow enough as it is....adding heavy alloys will cripple what performance it does have.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are you sure, Fizman?

The MK IV Golf is overrated and overpriced, especially the 1.4. It is sluggish in a car that heavy

There are many better (and newer) cars out there within your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There's an article in the Nov issue of Autobiz - the trade magazine, on the 02 Golf 1.4 75bhp, on the issue of diagnostics, by David Heffernan, and here are just some quotes from same:

''is very popular car....1.4 is a bit low on power"
    "there are a few causes for concern on these cars..."
    "most common fault.....coolant temperature switch....causes car to be hard to start, or brings the revs up when the engine is hot..."
    "the engine control unit (Marelli)...is prone to cause the engine to run too weak...which will casue erratic tickover..."
    "next would be the EGR valve"
    "..if it stays weak (the mixture - following certain tests)...this is a control unit problem" ..meaning, you'll need a new one - not cheap.
    "the engine is prone to valve guide wear, also valves and seals, and in extreme cases, the piston rings will give trouble. You will then be into a rebore with new pistions, which will have to be gauged in relation to the age and value of the car, because it will mean engine removal(an expensive job)." - :eek: EEK - on an 02 car??? :eek:
    "Finally, the throttle body is another concern........."

Crumbs. And I know a person who had to consign his 1.4 to eternity on the engine wear thing - his was older, I give you, but it was the same engine. I'd avoid like the plague. I'm not aware that the 1.6 has the same issue, but the 1.4 has been historically the poor relation, so maybe they just churne it out for us Paddy's and Brian Cowen.........

Btw - Renault 1.4 16v is 95bhp - 20 more than the Golf............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

galwaytt wrote:

Slightly O/T but the Rover 400 had a 1.4 litre with 102bhp back in 1991/1992.

To the OP, I would also not recommend going above 16" rims on the Golf. Standard on the Golf 1.4 is 14" or 15" wheels so one size up is more than enough on Irish roads. Anything bigger and your speedo will be off. Also make sure you get decent tyres. It is amazing that some people will spend big money on alloy wheels and then cut costs by putting cheap rubber on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Go with an Opel Astra.

The more the merrier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

try to get some original or replica VW alloys, for some reason VW' always look best on VW rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

unkel wrote:
    Are you sure, Fizman?

The MK IV Golf is overrated and overpriced, especially the 1.4. It is sluggish in a car that heavy

There are many better (and newer) cars out there within your budget
    The more I look into this the more I'm beginning to agree with you, and the more i'm beginning to change my mind. I dunno i just had a thing for Golfs I guess.

galwaytt wrote:
    There's an article in the Nov issue of Autobiz - the trade magazine, on the 02 Golf 1.4 75bhp, on the issue of diagnostics, by David Heffernan, and here are just some quotes from same:

"most common fault.....coolant temperature switch....causes car to be hard to start, or brings the revs up when the engine is hot..."
    "the engine control unit (Marelli)...is prone to cause the engine to run too weak...which will casue erratic tickover..."
    "..if it stays weak (the mixture - following certain tests)...this is a control unit problem" ..meaning, you'll need a new one - not cheap.
    "the engine is prone to valve guide wear, also valves and seals, and in extreme cases, the piston rings will give trouble. You will then be into a rebore with new pistions, which will have to be gauged in relation to the age and value of the car, because it will mean engine removal(an expensive job)." - :eek: EEK - on an 02 car??? :eek:

Crumbs. And I know a person who had to consign his 1.4 to eternity on the engine wear thing - his was older, I give you, but it was the same engine. I'd avoid like the plague. I'm not aware that the 1.6 has the same issue, but the 1.4 has been historically the poor relation, so maybe they just churne it out for us Paddy's and Brian Cowen.........

Hmm, quite a lot to digest there alright. Funny that the original posting was me looking for advice on new wheels for this car....and the majority of posts are putting up valid cases against purchasing one :rolleyes:
    I've been looking at a few 1.4 Bora's (99, 00, 01) and a few have caught my eye.
    Anything of note I should know about them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fizman wrote:
    Hmm, quite a lot to digest there alright. Funny that the original posting was me looking for advice on new wheels for this car....and the majority of posts are putting up valid cases against purchasing one :rolleyes:
    I've been looking at a few 1.4 Bora's (99, 00, 01) and a few have caught my eye.

The Bora is just a Golf with a saloon boot. Everything else is shared with the Golf MKIV. The Bora doesn't hold it's value like the Golf. But the same advice given about the Golf would apply to the Bora.

1.4 Bora ... A Golf with a boot and even blander. Otherwise more of the same.

Ok lads, so what would you all recommend for my budget (ive about 8k to work with and would only consider going over it for a pretty good deal)?

In the new year I will be doing a fair bit of driving with work so comfort will be pretty important.
    I've mainly been looking at 99, 00, 01 and some 02's.....ideally under 80k mileage. (and its my first car so 1.4 will have to do for now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

What about a Puma? The lads from top gear voted it the car of the year a few back and said it was great fun to drive.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=497675

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=536116

Fizman wrote:
    Ok lads, so what would you all recommend for my budget (ive about 8k to work with and would only consider going over it for a pretty good deal)?

In the new year I will be doing a fair bit of driving with work so comfort will be pretty important.
    I've mainly been looking at 99, 00, 01 and some 02's.....ideally under 80k mileage. (and its my first car so 1.4 will have to do for now)
    If you need something practical ... wearing your sensible shoes and not a plaything, then a 1400 Corolla or Civic, 1500 Mazda 323 or 1600 Mitsubishi Carisma ... bit long in the tooth I know, but decent spec, reasonable amount of space, comfortable and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fizman wrote:

All VW 1.4's share the probs...........see here too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054957101 and just file it under QED....

If you can, you won't go far wrong with a Jap car for high miles, so I like Civic's, but there's too many of them around for my taste. So, a good spec 323 would be my choice.

Could you get a Levin for that money?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

galwaytt wrote:

My father has a 1.4 golf 01 with 135000 miles, never had any problem. Only occasional service's and 1 change of the timing belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Dont go with the golf's very bland looking car as is the bora- even the name remindes me of boring, go with the astra and the money you'll save on repairs from the golf should get a nice set of alloys and a boot spolier,

i'd recomend the Octavia you can get them in 1.4 but there are'nt many about or the almera(AHEM!!) 6kmls on me driving it and it still goes like the clappers!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Volvoboy wrote:
    Dont go with the golf's very bland looking car as is the bora- even the name remindes me of boring, go with the astra and the money you'll save on repairs from the golf should get a nice set of alloys and a boot spolier,

i'd recomend the Octavia you can get them in 1.4 but there are'nt many about or the almera(AHEM!!) 6kmls on me driving it and it still goes like the clappers!

-VB-
    I'd say the astra is worse;) He might want to take a look at the Skoda though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

galwaytt wrote:

I've got one of these outside at the min, and its a great wee car for an old 1.4.
    Its a '00 Rxi Megane. Reckon you'd get one for 5-7k, and they are as fully-loaded (as standard) as you are likely to find; low(ish) profie tyres make it feel real nippy and sharp with the 96hp engine. very revy.

Yes, i'm aware I'm describing a 6 year old renault, but it really is great fun to drive, IF you are looking for 00 or 01 1.4 5 door hatchback (as the OP seems to be).

extras include:
    alloys,metallic paint, crome back, 3rd rear light, rear spoiler, electric mirrors, sun roof, leather gear shift and steering wheel, sports seats, trip computer, auto wipers, CD, blah blah blah.
    Nothing has ever gone wrong with the electrics! Unfortunately that can't be said about the newer Renault's (pity really).

I don't think the big fat blubbering 1.4 Golf compares in any way whatsoever.

Would be interested to hear if the OP holds firm to the age old irish love of the 1.4 Base VW Golf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

the skodas are great cars, nearly bought one myself as my first car. i dont know about the 1.4 octavia though. a bit small maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Surely a 1.4 Octavia is gonna potentially suffer the same engine problems as a 1.4 Golf?

Personally I'd go for a 3-dr Civic, or a 5-dr Corolla 1.4 (97bhp).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

JHMEG wrote:
    Surely a 1.4 Octavia is gonna potentially suffer the same engine problems as a 1.4 Golf?

Personally I'd go for a 3-dr Civic, or a 5-dr Corolla 1.4 (97bhp).

Id go with the 3dr civic if its a cheap reliable run around your after. cant get much better for your yo-yos then a civic.

Even 10 year old ones are still going strong.

sk8board wrote:
    Would be interested to hear if the OP holds firm to the age old irish love of the 1.4 Base VW Golf
    My online searches now don't just have VW in the Make field so I'm beginning to open up to other options :D

The 1.4 Renault and Corolla are interesting me, they both seem to have a nice bit of umph about them.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=551069 This seems like a pretty good deal to me, opinions??
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=506300 Do ye reckon this is a bit pricey?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=490203
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=509267 Nice car....Good deal?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=538677 Seems like a v good offer... v low mileage too.

Any opinions appreciated..... cheers. (I'll be searchin the Corolla soon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Even 10 year old ones are still going strong.

Aye, my 1995 Civic is still going strong (in the hands of my brother-in-law)... 175,000 miles on the clock and all it has needed has been a new radiator and a couple of CV joiints...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

TomMc wrote:
    Whatever you do, I think 16" wheels are plenty big enough on a 1.4 golf. Anything bigger would look out of place on such a conservative looking car.
    Would completely disagree. 18" wheels look much sweeter than 16" on a Golf. Maybe not as practical but they do look much better. FACT

Advertisement