Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Man & the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Options
  • 01-12-2006 3:05pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Read this in approx 3 hours. Just finished. Verdict? --> still not sure.

I think that I've read too many books of a similar nature, i.e. Pincher Martin, the Pearl, Life of Pi, The Old Man & the Sea - all detailing the struggle of man against nature (more or less). By the end I wasn't too interested in what happened to either the old man or the fish.

On the plus side, the writing flows and relaxes the mind. It brought me back to past holidays down that way.

6.5 / 10? Someone change my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I like how simple it is. The old man is trying to catch a big fish. Whats wrong with that? I think people over complicate books a lot of the time, just to look clever.

As for the man v nature thing. I suppose it true, but i saw it as percevearing in the face of fierce opposition. I also liked the old man. He was quite funny.

I'd give it 7.5 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I like how simple it is. The old man is trying to catch a big fish. Whats wrong with that? I think people over complicate books a lot of the time, just to look clever.

As for the man v nature thing. I suppose it true, but i saw it as percevearing in the face of fierce opposition. I also liked the old man. He was quite funny.

I'd give it 7.5 out of 10

Well I just posted similar about this in poll thread...but still, here i go again ;) . I thought it was a teeny bit boring, and again, didn't really find myself caring about man and big fish... but I did read when I was still in school so maybe I'd change my mind now. I like everything else Hemingway wrote better that it though...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yep I certainly enjoyed For Whom the Bell tolls more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I thought it was great, a lot of themes and meaning for such a short story. The idea of the futility of the old man's actions, continuing to fight for the fish even after it has been desecrated and worthless can be interpreted in so many ways....

Regards lots of other books of a similar nature OP, was Old man and the sea not written before them?

Advertisement