Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Viewing first used car - know of any mechanic who could help me detect issues ?

Options
  • 01-12-2006 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm viewing a used car tomorrow morning with the view to buy it if it is deemed good enough. I only have the provisional licence and don't know much about cars unfortunately !
    Would you know who I could contact to come with me check the car and tell me what's good, what's not, what will be an issue, etc ?
    I know the AA provide such a service but it's 310 euros ! I'm sure some garage mechanics can help just as well - have you any ideas who I can contact ???

Rather desperate here !!

Thanks
    Turbidine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Where in particular are you based or alternatively where is the car located that you are going to view might help.

I have a guide at home that I will type up and post on here for people looking for tips on what to look out for, theres 180 points so it might take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Turbidine

Hi there
    I am in the city centre and am viewing in Lucan - quite a trip. It'd be great to have such a guide but I am completely new to it, I would rather need someone with the knowledge who would be able to spot things in seconds and tell me if it's a good buy ;-)

Cheers

My bit of advise is there is loads of cars around, dont rush into it.

Second, if theres is anything slighty off with the car, thank the person for their time and just walk away, even if they lower the price.

I just remembered, check out carcheck.ie I have heard nothing but good reports about these guys and are cheaper than the AA, might be worth the money, if there is anything wrong with the car, get the price lower to at least to cost of the report.

Thanks !
    I just checked that site - are they based in Limerick ?
    As funny as it may sound, the reason why I also need someone qualified to come with me is that I have just taken a few driving lessons and I am not good enough to assess if it would suit me...someone else would have to try the acceleration/braking etc for me..anyway I'll keep looking. The one I am viewing tomorrow seems like a really good deal. If you know of any other way to contact a mechanic who could come with me, just let me know !

Turbidine wrote:
    Thanks !
    I just checked that site - are they based in Limerick ?
    As funny as it may sound, the reason why I also need someone qualified to come with me is that I have just taken a few driving lessons and I am not good enough to assess if it would suit me...someone else would have to try the acceleration/braking etc for me..anyway I'll keep looking. The one I am viewing tomorrow seems like a really good deal. If you know of any other way to contact a mechanic who could come with me, just let me know !

Ring your local mechanic that you intend to get the car serviced with and see if they have anyone spare etc.

carcheck.ie cover all countries.

I remember viewing my first car spent two hours looking it over for any little thing. The number of times i stalled coming home was mad.

• Advertisement

Hum !
    I wouldnt even know who to ring?! See why I need a mechanic now ? ;-))
    I intend buying a VW Polo and I live in D2 city centre along the quays - anyone in particular you would know and recommend ?? I really need to get started with this all because I'm completely lost !!!! I hadnt even thought about servicing the car !:mad:

Advertisement