Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some Advice

Options
  • 01-12-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

I just received a letter from Hertz regarding an accident (so to speak) in July.

Some background. I was stopped at traffic lights and took my foot off the brake for a second and the car rolled forward into the car in front. The damage to the car was minimal, I'm talking a small, barely visible scratch (~3cm long and 1.5cm tall) on the rear bumper and no damage to my car. Of course, silly me never took pictures. We exchanged details (I gave my name, address, insurance details etc) and on we went.

So anyway, the letter is basically telling me to write to them within ten days accepting liability for the accident to cover their costs, or to forward the letter on to my insurance company or they will "issue the appropriate legal proceedings". What would the costs likely be? Any advice on what to do? Obviously I don't want to go through my insurance being only 19 and just after earning my 1st years no claims.

Also, some legal technicalities (possibly? whats a motors thread without technicalities!)
    1. My surname is spelt wrong
    2. The letter is headed "Dear Ms Moran" which is nowhere near my name.

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Were you driving a Hertz rental or did you bump in to one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its not you ignore it! :) (not legal advice)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Get a spray paint can and sneek up and spray the car where the scratch is.

Again sounds like a place with too much red tape, Ask them for a quote first and then write them a cheque for the repairs, they are meant to provide you with at least three quotes, you pick which ever one you want, normally the cheapest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

bennyx_o wrote:
    I just received a letter from Hertz regarding an accident (so to speak) in July.

Some background. I was stopped at traffic lights and took my foot off the brake for a second and the car rolled forward into the car in front. The damage to the car was minimal, I'm talking a small, barely visible scratch (~3cm long and 1.5cm tall) on the rear bumper and no damage to my car. Of course, silly me never took pictures. We exchanged details (I gave my name, address, insurance details etc) and on we went.

So anyway, the letter is basically telling me to write to them within ten days accepting liability for the accident to cover their costs, or to forward the letter on to my insurance company or they will "issue the appropriate legal proceedings". What would the costs likely be? Any advice on what to do? Obviously I don't want to go through my insurance being only 19 and just after earning my 1st years no claims.

Also, some legal technicalities (possibly? whats a motors thread without technicalities!)

Cheers. :)

Get a quote for the damage, then take whatever amount a 10% increase is (for losing your NCB) say €200 (if your paying €2k, it will be €200) & add that to the x/s on your policy (say €350)

Combined price is €550, if the quote for damage is more then this, claim thru your insurance, if the damage is less, then pay for it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If the letter is not addressed to you, then you simply shouldn't have opened it, and instead you should write "Return to sender" on it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Should've made some points clearer. I bumped into the Hertz car, and, the letter was addressed to me, but the greeting of the letter has a totally different name. My insurance renewal is later this month, would it be easier to claim before or after the renewal. I've already accepted their quote. (almost half price)

I've been thinking about this and, considering the bump happened in july and they're only contacting me now, the damage could've got a lot worse in the five or so months since, do I have any legal stand here? Then again, they could've not rented the car out at all. If this is the case, can they try to get me to pay for loss of income? Lastly, how much is this likely to cost me? They're not going to get me to pay for a whole new bumper when one of these scratch places can touch it up for a few hundred Euro.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Was the first contact made from Hertz to you since the accident?

Did you not call the depot the car from after the accident and make arrangements for repairs and equire about the possible costs?

The letter I received is the first contact fro Hertz to me. I'm not sure what depot the car is based in.

Advertisement