Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do the US channels on 27.5W work with pc dvb-s2 cards?

• 01-12-2006 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-i907.php

If i was to get a dvb-s2 card down the line, would this pc be powerful enough to run one:

Dimension E520 Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86Ghz, 1066MHz, 2MB
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    Memory: 1024MB DDR2 533 [2*512]
    Hard Disk Drive: 250GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    Video: Video card ATI Radeon X1300 Pro 256MB DVI/VGA output with 1xS-Video Output

edit: dont know how that vb came up at start of thread title!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The X1300 is not good enough for HD.
    CPU wants to be about 2.4GHz or better.

UNLESS you get a very very expensive DVB-S2 card with its own DSP and TV out built in.

. I'm testing BBCHD on X1600 this weekend.

I may check this out but I suspect that either they are only temporarily clear (encrypted by time I get connected) or pointing to USA or both.
    ntelsat 907 (27.5W) - 11554.00 V - DVB-S2 - QPSK - 40000 8/9 - NID: 0 - TID: 0 - Txp: 64 - Beam: West
    ABC HD U.S.A. General Clear 0 eng 2006-11-26 +
    Discovery HD Theater U.S.A. Documentaries Clear 0 eng 2006-11-26 +
    ESPN HD U.S.A. Sport Clear 0 eng 2006-11-26 +
    NBC HD U.S.A. General Clear 0 eng 2006-11-26 +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

AFAIK Nobody has so far managed to view the HD channels on 27.5W. Most of the consumer DVB-S2 equipment is limited to an SR of 30,000.

You need to shell out on one of these:
    http://www.scopus.net/pdf/products/IRD-2900.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

watty wrote:
    The X1300 is not good enough for HD.
    CPU wants to be about 2.4GHz or better.

UNLESS you get a very very expensive DVB-S2 card with its own DSP and TV out built in.

. I'm testing BBCHD on X1600 this weekend.

Let me know how that goes!

I'm currently using a GT6600 on an AMD X2 4000+ with the core avc codec.

All seems good so far.

Technotrend supply Cyberlink DVD player and H.264 AVC codec to do BBC.

I hadn't realised that Zaphod. Some of my very ordinary NON-S2 original DVB-s gear will go to 45K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

even with a better graphics card would the e6300 be no use?

It might be OK with an X1800. ATI/AMD are not 100% clear on how much their GPU unburdens the CPU for MPEG4. Also unless the drivers /codec support the X1600/X1800 in the TV viewing application you will be relying entirely on CPU. A Celeron 2400 can't do it with out hiccupping and dropping frames, freezing etc with an ordinary high power Graphics card.

Tried out the mpeg 2 hd feeds today (bbc, france 3, luxe etc) and seem to be working fine for me with dvbviewer and the cyberlink avc codec. Using a dell pc with the e6300 processor(using both cpu's) and the x1300 graphics card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

im using progdvb viewer. Tried installing the avc H264 codec. Cannot get BBC HD to clear. All other HD channels seem to clear on my setup but bBC HD will not. I think its a problem with the codec as its not showing when i try to select it with prog dvb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

core avc codec > all.

• Advertisement

www.hoh.de has the new skystar hd cards in stock, seems like only site in germany atm

dont know if this direct link will work but here it is:
    http://web.hoh.de/hoh/(S(55ibaw45drquvq45zecxmh45))/default.aspx?TY=item&ST=1&IT=15697

They are made by Technotrend. Available from Technotrend's shop

Skystar are made by technisat as i can remember, technotrend make this dvb-s2 card:

http://shop.technotrend.de/shop.php?mode=show_detail&lang=de&group=3&sid=07c65274e2dae0d28d3dbe5edfbb5ecf&s=&id=42

Only difference is skystars are cheaper , well if your ordering other stuff aswell off a german hardware site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davej25

So has anyone managed to get these channels to work?

Actually Technisat cards are sometimes made by Technotrend. All the actual cards are Technotrend designs. Technisat are moving more into TVs & set boxes.

davej25 wrote:
    So has anyone managed to get these channels to work?

dont think those channels were ever there and if they are there, you wont get them with a normal dvb-s2 receiver.

anyways finally got my skystar hd, theres 2 fta HD channels on 23.5 east and a few more on 19 east. Pity the german channels dont have an original soundtrack but that would be expecting a bit too much :) ( lost was this evening and it looked great).

btw did anyone manage to get bbc hd to work finw with coreavc and alt-dvb, it gets cropped an awful lot with coreavc for some reason.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I've had BBC HD since shortly after it started, running DVBviewer and CoreAVC Pro H.264 codec - it supports Mbaff which is the key to decoding the BBCHD broadcast. The codec doesn't support graphic card acceleration, so the ability of the CPU to process the video stream is the fundamental issue - I'm running a P4 3.0 overclocked to 3.4 - it handles it with no issues. A while back I changed the graphics card from a Radeon 9800XT to a nVidia 6600 to avail of Purevideo processing for dvd playback and it had no effect whatsoever on the BBCHD performance.

I had tried with the Cyberlink H.264 codecs that come with certain versions, but never had much joy.

All you ever wanted (or didn't want....) to know about CoreAVC is in this thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=104277.

BBC is showing FA Cup matches at the moment in HD - very nice....;)

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 digiman 2007

hi i have a sky star 2 pci card
    I can recieve all FTA channles off 28 degrees
    i need help recieving BBC HD (alot of help!)
    any help with this would be greatly appreciated

I dont really know much about this btw

what spec pc have you? Also get the coreavc codec.

They may change to DVB-S2 in a few months, The SS2 won't work then. The new Technotrend DVB-S2 card (simlar idea to SS2) also rebranded by the Skystar suppliers comes with the required codec.

You'd want a Widescreen 1920 x 1200 or better large monitor, X1600 or better graphics and at least 2GHz better than Celeron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 digiman 2007

Thanks guys,
    Computer specs really aren't a problem, I'm confident of that. I will be getting the skystar Hd card (DVB S2) in a few months but for now, I was hoping to use my skystar 2. Are you sure one would need a resolution that high. I have it but not sure one that high is necessary. Does anyone know where I can get Core avc pro codec pack. And if I do get it whats the best viewer to use (DVB Viewer, Alt DVB, ProgDVD ...etc). Also if I do get the codec how can i get my viewer to recognise that codec ( or should it be picked up automatically by the viewer)

Kind Regards

That's the resolution, yes.

The BBC transmits 1920x1080 lines. At lower resolution display the resampling blur or artifacts would mean little improvement on the standard 720x576 line image.

With TV and DVD, unlike computer games or PC desktops, you do not choose the resolution, the broadcaster chooses.

While the US uses (instead of regular 720x 480i30)
    * Enhanced Digital 864 x 480p 60
    * HD 1440x720p60 (some sport)
    * HD 1920x1080i30 (everything else)

We only use 1920x1080i25 in Europe. Interlace (i25) is no problem here, only an issue with 480i30 and 1080i30 in USA and Japan due to 3:2 pull down artifacts on Film transfers.

Note the Ehanced digital Resolution in US. Avoids 3:2 film pull down artifacts and better suited to WideScreen.

In Europe 720p is not enough of an increase in quality as it is roughly the same percentage as going from US 480line to european 576 line. In the US 720p gives two advantages, the avoidance of 3:2 artifacts and good step up from their 1949 480line standard. It has a small advantage for sport.

It is unlikely anyone will use 1080p for broadcast as it doubles the bandwidth without any increase in quality on normal pictures and unlikely that 720p will be used in Europe. The Sky box has 720p mode reception to meet the standard, but No one transmits it on 28.2 and it has a builtin 720p conversion ONLY for native 720p only TVs, Sky recommend the box is set to 1080i

The Closest Computer LCD screen resolution is 1920x1200. Some Graphics cards can output at 1920x1080. You can get 4:3 monitors easily that do 1600x1200. For WS you need 1920 witdh minimum. All HD is WS, there is no 4:3 mode other than "window boxing" the image.

For HD, the graphics card on PC should output at native resolution of any flat panel or projector used. The PC graphics card will do any required conversion better than a screen, if required.

you can configure whatever viewer you use to use the required codec, it is usually under "filters"

well finally got a graphics card with h264 acceleration ( asus 8500gt, no hdcp but other models were a bit risky due to size ). Watching BBC HD with dvbviewer ge and the cyberlink h264 codec, and cpu is only at 15% with an core 2 duo e6300.

Advertisement