Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE V Lastmile Broadband

Options
  • 01-12-2006 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Okay so these are the only two providers available in my area unless I want to continue using Satellite.

I've read bad reviews about both so I want to know which is the lesser of the two evils.

If anyone has any experience using either of these in the Tullamore/Blueball, Offaly area, I'd appreciate your opinion on the service.

ICE V Last Mile Broadband? 6 votes

ICE
    0%
    Last Mile
    83%
    VINNIEBhigsterpm.paddypironingbored 5 votes
    Run, run for your life and don't forget your wallet!
    16%
    eirlink 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just bumping the thread to see those anyone else want to vote or does anyone else have experience using this who hasn't previously posted in other threads (I've searched everything that exists on both providers here and on Google) so I'm mainly looking for anyone who has used it in the midlands region opinions. If anyone who posted negative stuff about them is from the midlands, could you post because in most threads, people don't say where the are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Well lastmiles problems are more of a backbone problem so it will affect all their customers no matter the location afaik they are seriously over subscribed on the connection they have over in packet exchange. But then again sure isnt that what contention levels are for.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Last Mile
    i had to vote for ice because last mile dont provide bb imo, 40 euro for 512 is a disgrace but 40 euro for a download speed of 20 to 30kbps at best is criminal, ive also seen a lot of bad stuff on ice but if it was my choice i would go for ice.

pm. wrote:
    i had to vote for ice because last mile dont provide bb imo, 40 euro for 512 is a disgrace but 40 euro for a download speed of 20 to 30kbps at best is criminal, ive also seen a lot of bad stuff on ice but if it was my choice i would go for ice.

Well on our 56K line we get 50.6 Kbps (probably not actually that, this is what the connection status in windows says).

63471657.png

Don't know how accurate above from speedtest.net is. Upload rate looks bizarre for a 56K connection.

On Irishisptest.com, the speed comes back at 3.14KBps upload and 5.81KBps with roundtrip time of 1ms.

I also think the 512 for 40 Euro is a rip off but from reading around they seem to be upgrading people to 1Mbps that are on 512 but if they can't even manage to provide 512 then this is merely changing the information on the website instead of actually providing the service.

The reason I favour Ice is because they actually have the contention information on their website. I've seen good and bad reports about them so I'm hoping since they just started up in the Midlands that the service will be good. They also have reasonable speed for the price assuming they can provide it. If it is above 56K then it is probably worth paying the price to be honest as it'll not tie up the phone line and should hopefully show other Wireless providers that people in the area want freaking broadband.

edit----

Meant to say, thanks for the replies and votes.

Ha, after not getting any information from info@icebroadband.com, I decided to send an email to tech support (email address on their website) to see if they could help me. I got this:
    This is the Postfix program at host poo.icecomms.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<techsupport@icebroadband.com>: unknown user: "techsupport@icebroadband.com"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Last Mile
    brim4brim wrote:
    Well on our 56K line we get 50.6 Kbps (probably not actually that, this is what the connection status in windows says).

63471657.png

I also think the 512 for 40 Euro is a rip off but from reading around they seem to be upgrading people to 1Mbps that are on 512 but if they can't even

last mile told me last december that they would upgrade my speed to 1meg down, i rang them about 3 weeks ago to find out about the speed increase they told me it would cost 120 euro:eek: a month as it was there business plan, just 1 of the many lies they tell there customers:mad: if i was getting what i was paying for it wouldn't be to bad and there is no regulator for bb:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Last Mile
    "i had to vote for ice because last mile dont provide bb imo, 40 euro for 512 is a disgrace but 40 euro for a download speed of 20 to 30kbps at best is criminal, ive also seen a lot of bad stuff on ice but if it was my choice i would go for ice."

I agree, as a last mile suscriber for a year now it`s grand for surfing, booking fights, ect, but VOIP is out of the question as is sites like Youtube, yahoo music.
    Last miles mast is based on the Arden Hill on the Kilbeggan road. Unfortunatly for me i do not have line of sight to the Ice Mast which is on top of the radio 3 building:(

Re: Lastmile speed upgrade, i enquired last week and the reply was that they have no plans to introduce an upgrade to residential customers to 1mbs download.

So my vote goes to Ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Last Mile
    Lastmile connection is down again - the third period of more than 24 hours it has been down in three weeks - I'm supposed to be updating a website today, fat chance! They NEVER inform their customers about ANY problems, downtime planned or otherwise, planned upgrades I can't believe the government gave these chancers any money! Take one look at their website, I could do better than that in well under an hour.

In one word I will sum up lastmile ...
    AHHHHHRHGHHGHGHHGHGHHGAGHAGHAHGHAHGHGHAHHAGHGHAHGHAGGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHRFGAGHHHGHGHGHGHGHG%^"£$%^%^£$%^£$%^!£$"$^&£$^%^%"£$^$£^*&£$%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

^ What he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

paddyp wrote:
    In one word I will sum up lastmile ...
    AHHHHHRHGHHGHGHHGHGHHGAGHAGHAHGHAHGHGHAHHAGHGHAHGHAGGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHRFGAGHHHGHGHGHGHGHG%^"£$%^%^£$%^£$%^!£$"$^&£$^%^%"£$^$£^*&£$%

Do you know I was asked to spell that word the other day and I almost got it right apart from the last 15 letters. But yes that's them in a nutshell

• Advertisement
Advertisement