Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most popular books

Options
  • 01-12-2006 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

I've mentioned these books because they seem to have come up the most in the above thread. (10 to read before the apocalypse?) Have not read any of them at this stage but was curious as to which one you think stands out from the rest.

Top 10 books -- which one was your favourite? 108 votes

The Divine Comedy - Dante
    0% 0 votes
    Dune - Herbert
    0% 1 vote
    Catch 22 - Heller
    7% 8 votes
    Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Adam
    11% 12 votes
    The old Man and the Sea - Hemmingway
    15% 17 votes
    1984 - George Orwell
    4% 5 votes
    Catcher in the Rye Salinger
    28% 31 votes
    Dubliners by James Joyce
    14% 16 votes
    Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
    11% 12 votes
    The Wasp Factory
    5% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I have read 6 of them. HGTTG is very funny. Catcher in the Rye is a great read. Catch 22, again very funny. A brief history....ok. The old man and the sea is a really good little book.

I voted for 1984. Quite simply the greatest novel ever written in my opinion. I remember when i finished reading it saying "wow!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

It was a toss up between Wasp Factory and Catch 22, but I had to go for The Wasp Factory, it's just so good! One of my favorite bits is when his brother rings him and tells him he's been stealing things he can't use, including a party size bag of crisps "Are you kidding?! have you ever tried eating a party size bag of crisps?!?!" or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hitch-hikers guide for me, probably because I was a teen when I read them and had never read anything so wonderfully whacky before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Definately reads like a list of books you are told to read before you die all right. I voted for Hemmingway. I've read Catcher in the Rye and 1984 and they were both disappointments, I wasn't impressed at all. Hemmingway was the only one which affected me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

hmmm. Of this list I vote for the catcher in the rye. I haven't read catch 22 yet, but it's definitely on my (very long!) 'to read' list... Hitchhikers' guide to the galaxy is great too. I love hemingway, but not the old man and the sea...It was one we had to read in school, and I remember it being kinda boring (yeah I know about all the symbolism and stuff, but still :rolleyes: ). I only discovered the really good hemingways afterwards...

• Advertisement

hmmm. Of this list I vote for the catcher in the rye. I haven't read catch 22 yet, but it's definitely on my (very long!) 'to read' list... Hitchhikers' guide to the galaxy is great too. I love hemingway, but not the old man and the sea...It was one we had to read in school, and I remember it being kinda boring (yeah I know about all the symbolism and stuff, but still :rolleyes: ). I only discovered the really good hemingways afterwards...

Oops, I didn't realise that Dubliners was on the list too...I vote for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'd pick Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson - but none of the rest of them would get anywhere close to my list of favourite books tbh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The Divine Comedy - Dante [under my to read pile]

Dune - Herbert [no idea]

Catch 22 - Heller [hilarious book]

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Adam [started this years ago and lost interest. Have a copy here and will try it again soon]

The old Man and the Sea - Hemmingway [not overly impressed given it won the Nobel Prize, see other thread]

1984 - George Orwell [great book]

Catcher in the Rye Salinger [great book & the one I voted for]

Dubliners by James Joyce [under my to read pile]

Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson [lots of interesting facts, enjoyable read]

The Wasp Factory [a twisted entertaining read]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I always think about getting Dune when I'm getting books, then put it off. I guess I should quit procrastinating and check it out.
    I voted for Catch 22, though it was a tough choice between it, Hitchhikers, and Catcher in the Rye.

ps i'd also give negative votes to Dante, had to read the divina commedia in college, not a fan of medieval theology disguised as poetry...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Had to vote for Catcher in the Rye, but 1984 is an extremely close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Copying BossArky...

The Divine Comedy - Dante: Haven't read it but keep meaning to.

Dune - Herbert: As above.

Catch 22 - Heller: Absolutely brilliant and one of very, very few books to make me laugh out loud.

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Adams: As above.

The old Man and the Sea - Hemmingway: I'm ashamed to say I've never read any Hemmingway. I should really rectify that.

1984 - George Orwell: This got my vote as it is a book that absolutely terrified me about what could be and about my own inaction and indifference to things that could make a difference. It has prompted me to be more critical of authority, politics and generally everything. In short, I found it life changing.

Catcher in the Rye - Salinger: Haven't read this one either. So many books, so little time!

Dubliners by James Joyce: Good collection of stories, some better than others but you can see how Joyce hadn't yet become the author that he is known as. It's nice as an introduction to his work as it is very easy on the brain compared to his later works.

Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson: I really enjoyed this but I found it a bit similar to John Gribbons' Science: A History. Some very interesting facts but I noticed one or two mistakes. Still, for sheer entertainment and general "Did you know?" it is excellent.

The Wasp Factory: Never heard of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Had to vote for the Hitchhikers Guide, though it was a tough choice.

Dune by Frank Herbert is the first in a fantastic series of books set on the planet Arakkis. Brilliant tales of spice trade, strange religions, spacey stuff and fighting things, much love for the lot.

1984 is also great, one of the books to force everyone ever born to read imho

i own a short history, but i've never gotten around to reading so it lives in the huge pile of popular science that i own.

Also intend readin more iain banks, so the wasp factory is on the list whenever i get to it.

While i'm a big sf/science head, the list is a bit biased in my sorts favour...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tree wrote:
    Dune by Frank Herbert is the first in a fantastic series of books set on the planet Arakkis. Brilliant tales of spice trade, strange religions, spacey stuff and fighting things, much love for the lot.

I like my sci-fi ... must check out Dune. Odd that I have not heard of it before if it was mentioned here so much. Have you read the likes of Peter F.Hamiltons Nights Dawn Trilogy or the CommonWealth Saga? Any comparison?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i think i tried hamilton and didnt like it.

series i'm a particular fan of include azimov's robots/empire/foundation, clarke's rama and 2001, herberts dune, kim stanley robinson's mars trilogy, dan simmons hyperion cantos, greg bear's eon and sequels what ever they were called, robert reed's marrow and the one that came after, loads more i can't think of offhand cause i have read a wee bit too much sf to remember it all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Went for Dubliners, fantastic easy to read stories that are still fresh and relevant in today's Dublin.
    Back to you Hemingway fans, what is his best work? Have read "old man..." but would like to read more.

buck65 wrote:
    Back to you Hemingway fans, what is his best work? Have read "old man..." but would like to read more.

Having only read "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Old Man...", and the beginning of one about bull fighting I have to say that Old Man was the worst and the other two were much more engaging.

I have "The Green Hills of Africa" here beside me which I hope to start in a few days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Love Sci-fi but Dune was a bit purple-prose for me.

(And don't get me started on Catcher in the Over hyped Rye).

Was a toss-up between Catch 22 and HHGTTG - Douglas Adams won (just about).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'd amend the poll to replace The Divine Comedy with the Canterbury Tales-the latter a far superior work in my opinion.:)

I voted for Catch 22.Always makes me laugh out loud.:)

buck65 wrote:
    Went for Dubliners, fantastic easy to read stories that are still fresh and relevant in today's Dublin.

I've read quite a few, and liked them all cept' old man...

a moveable feast and fiesta/the sun also rises are about the years he spent in Paris after the war and the are both great. They are easy to read and really great fun!
    A farewell to arms is set in Italy and is based on Hemingways time as an ambulance driver during the first world war, and then for who the bell tolls is set during the spanish civil war... Probably fwtbt is my favourite of these two... but as I said, all Hemingways's books are really compelling and easy to read, so I'm sure you'd like any of them! Let us know if you read any and what you think...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Thanks a million for your replies. I've bought the following books

Catch 22 - Heller
    Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Adam
    The old Man and the Sea - Hemmingway
    1984 - George Orwell
    Catcher in the Rye Salinger
    Dubliners by James Joyce
    Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
    The Wasp Factory

Have read Hemmingway...thought it was ok...maybe I was expecting to much. Currently reading 1984......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I voted for nineteen eighty four - I loved it.
    I tried to read Catch 22 and I know everyone I know seems to love it, but I couldn't get into it when I tried to read it, i found it very 'man/war'ish but I'm hoping that it really will be enjoyable when I attempt to read it a second time.
    I'm reading 'Vernon God Little' at the moment (DBC Pierre) - what a funny book! Recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lily84

hey guys, for those of you who haven't read them already i strongly suggest My Friend Leonard and A Million Little pieces (read them as fiction not as frey's supposed memoirs).
    The Kite Runner is also great.
    I was disappointed with the catcher in the rye.
    Next on my list is Out of Africa.
    im struggling to get through Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
    Also could anyone fill me in on what the hell was going on in Ludmilla'a broken english by DBC Pierre?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

(And don't get me started on Catcher in the Over hyped Rye).
    Amen my Christian brother! It's not great at all.

None of those book are in my top 10, they are mostly good though.
    Me like dune, spice baby and captain jean luc picard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Amen my Christian brother! It's not great at all.
    I'll also agree with The Atheist about Catcher in the Rye - 'not great' is a fair assessment.

I'll protest mildly about The Wasp Factory - a short, entertaining read but it would also hover around the 'not great' mark. A much better book with a similar story is Nick Cave's 'And the Ass Saw the Angel'.

Maybe I'm just not a sci-fi fan, but I wasn't too impressed by either Dune or HGTTG. On a board where a huge proportion of the topics refer to fantasy books, I'm surprised that none of them made it on the Most Popular list.

I never read the Old Man and the Sea or Dubliners but its a tough call between the rest of the books.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fantasy bboks are my preference, with LOTR, Silmarillion, unfinished tales, lost tales, His Dark Materials, A song of Ice and Fire featuring highly.
    I am reading a trilogy by r Scott Bakker at the moment and think it is amazing, although I have read mixed reviews. The first one is called The Darkness That Comes Before.
    http://www.princeofnothing.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

BossArky wrote:
    I like my sci-fi ... must check out Dune. Odd that I have not heard of it before if it was mentioned here so much. Have you read the likes of Peter F.Hamiltons Nights Dawn Trilogy or the CommonWealth Saga? Any comparison?

Herbert is a bit like Tolkien, required reading (almost) for their genre. He had a really big influence on a lot of the sci-fi that followed him and it's interesting to read him just from that perspective.

Tar, have you looked at Stephen Erikson's Malazan series yet? Well worth a read.

It's actually the next series I am going to read! :)

Hey Nesf, I heard the second book in the series is out of print??
    That will make it hard to read. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

although i have only read 3 of them, joyce is king

Advertisement