Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my car Privately

Options
  • 01-12-2006 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Just a few questions which have probably come up before.

How do I accept payment (Bankers Draft?) I was told that there are some fakes going around -- how can I be sure?

Do I keep all the documents i.e. change of ownership form... the purchaser signs them and then I send them off?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Never give the car away until you have the money.
    Never accept bank drafts, cheques. Always cash. The risks are too high now a days.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

surely cash is risky too? how about an EFT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Thanks for the replies...what docs do i need to hand over and were do i send them. All advice & comments appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Cash only, take heed of above advice. If the buyer is genuine and really interested, itr won't make a difference.

Give the buyer everything (service book, user manual, etc, etc.) BUT
    you fill the Reg Cert with the owner's new details (it's an idea to ask the seller to bring official form of ID, e.g. passport) and you send it in to the Revenue in Shannon - do NOT give the Reg Cert on the day of sale (unless you want the points from later speeding offenses and the like).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fill in the change of ownership section of the VLC, and give the new owner a copy.

Put the form in an envelope and post it to D.O.E. Shannon.

I.D. from the new owner is not required.

p.s. Bank draft is fine, but ask in advance the Bank concerned and ring them to verify authenticity. Lots of forged drafts about apparently. Cash is ok, but carries it's dangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Actually, cash is not o.k. The country is awash with fake 50's and 100's, and in a bunch of money on a kitchen table/whatever, you'll be doing very very well to check them. And it'll just take too long. And, it's not unknown to be a target that eve for robbing, knowing you've a bunch of cash around...........remember that one in Limerick last year, where the guy got killed over it?

Drafts? You must be joking - everyone and his mother has a colour scanner/printer - not worth the (copy) paper they're written on..........cheques even worse.

What you can do with a Draft is get the buyer to give you a copy in advance of the payment date, and get your bank to check it by serial no. Remember, if the Draft turned out to be fake after a few days, the Bank will just reverse the credit to your account, and you'll be sans car and sans money !

For cash, get the buyer to either lodge the money to your account, or meet you at the bank and to it mutually - that way the bank checks for forgeries.

By far the best way is by Bank Transfer, direct to your account. Clean, safe, traceable for both buyer and seller.

Get new buyer to fill in form for change of ownership and YOU post it. Do not hand it over at time of sale.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement