Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband over a business (chased) line?

Options
  • 01-12-2006 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed any light on this. A business friend has asked me to look at this for him. He recently got a broadband business package with eircom. Seemly he has what he calls a chased line (i.e. customer rings ph. no.1 and it routes to ph. no.2 if not answered etc.) Eircom said they needed to setup the broadband because of this chased line. Of course they never arrived and he asked me to take a look. So is it just a question of throwing filters on all the phone outlets and setting the bb up as normal or is there more to as Eircom suggested?

Thanks

ding

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Is it a PABX with a huntgroup your mate has?

If so that may cause slight problems and, yes, Eircom may have to call out and set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The DSL filter only needs to go on one line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

steveland? wrote:
    Is it a PABX with a huntgroup your mate has?

If so that may cause slight problems and, yes, Eircom may have to call out and set it up.

Can't be sure yet as I can't contact him at the minute. All I know that it is a small business and we're only talking 3 phone numbers. I asumed all this number routing was taking place on eircoms side or would you need a PABX for this setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

We have that at the office; the PABX is in the office, with eircom just providing the two lines and the PABX doing the switchover.

Once the splitter and filter are in the right place (and on the right line - BB will only be enabled on one of them) there's no problem.

First thing to do is check if he does have a PABX in the office, and make sure that it's not an ISDN PABX.

That said, I've only ever heard this referred to as "hunting", not "chased line", so maybe they've done something odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

well hunting and chasing is kinda the same :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Chasing was the expression he used. He probably means hunting alright. Had a look at it today but know one knew much about the phone setup. Couldn't get a dsl sync on any line I tried so I've told them to get Eircom to sort it out. They were to send an engineer anyway but never did. Thanks for the help anyway.

Advertisement