Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do with a history degree?

Options
  • 01-12-2006 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the best place for this thread but I've been asking myself a fairly serious question lately.

I thought I wanted to get into journalism because I love writing and figured making a living in it(through journalism-either to do than as a playwright or novelist!) I'd be happy. But I'm doing third year History and English, always enjoyed History but this year I'm absolutely mad for it. Made me wonder if that's not the field I should be going into-I could still be writing articles and books (both for History work and personal stuff) and I would be doing something I love.

But how do you go about getting into that field? I'm going to be applying for post grads in february/march and I'd really love to hear peoples experience in this field. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

A history degree by itself is worthles enough, it really depends on what sort of postgrad you do afterwards. An you could do almost any sort of postgrad from an arts degree. Journalism is an option sure, a humanities degree can't hurt. I did a heritage postgrad, couldn't find work in that area and now wok in finance. A former boss of mine has a degree in ancient history - she though she wanted to teach but changed her mind and went into management.

To work in humanities requires a fair degree of skill and luck but a humanities degree doesn't limit you to that if it doesn't work out.

Advertisement