Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error with (0xc0000005)?

Options
  • 01-12-2006 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

I have just put together a new PC for a friend and while testing it have encountered this error message when trying to run FEAR or Oblivion to check out the 3d card: 'The application failed to initialise properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application'.

I checked the RAM with memtest and took each stick out one at a time, and swapped their locations on the motherboard, to no avail. I thoroughly uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and reinstalled, same thing.

I put in a no-cd crack for FEAR to see if it was a DVD drive problem, and updated the motherboard audio driver, still got the same problem.

3dTest06 runs fine so the card is working, and I can hear mp3s in WMP so the onboard audio should be ok - is there anything else I can check or am I overlooking anything obvious anyone can think of?

The MB is an MSI P965 Platinum, the gfx card is an XFX GeForce 7950, the RAM is two 1GB sticks of Corsair DDR2 533mhz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

I had exactly the same problem with a new build komplett machine, they had to replace a hard drive and update the bios. I had different specs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

As kenny11 mentioned update the bios of the motherboard (platinum or neo). Be sure to clear the CMOS afterwords as well this is important with MSI boards.

If possible do a re-install of XP and do the driver installs in this order
    XP service pack 2 (if it's not integrated into the CD)
    Intel chipset drivers
    NVIDIA display drivers
    HD audio patch for XP SP2 - Realtek include this in their bundle below but I have seen it install the wrong version on some systems why I don't know. If it does install the wrong version then use this, you can see this update listed in add/remove.
    Sound drivers
    Ethernet drivers - available on MSI site.
    Direct-X 9 October 2006 build
    Go to Windows update & download everything in critical updates.

Now make sure FEAR and Oblivion are patched to the latest versions as well and see if they run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Thanks guys, I tried reinstalling XP, same thing, and swapped the graphics card for the one in my own PC (a Sapphire Radeon X1900) and this is persisting.

I used Speedfan to check temperature and there are only two readings, the HD which is 33C and should be fine, but the ACPI temp is given as 80C. In my own comp thats listed as 22-23C!

Could this be causing a problem and if so how might I go about sorting it? Thanks.

God the MSI bios update instructions are a joke, if you have a non-FAT hard drive you have to use a Windows98 or ME boot disk to get a DOS prompt so you can update the BIOS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

as for boot disk,

you can make one with format a floppy for dos mode using windows xp,
    or use a Win98 SE cd to boot with cd-support and use another cd then to
    flash (this cd is created by you containing the right flash program and bios).

• Advertisement

80C! that does not sound good double check the coolers in the system and check the CPU cooler is seated correctly or remove it and re-apply thermal paste to it (clean off anything already on it beforehand).

That is strange as I've run the Windows MSI bios updater on systems with NTFS file systems before and it worked fine.

Oh and just in case in the CELL menu in the bios make sure dynamic overclocking mode is disabled.

The CPU cooler seems to be ok, the cpu temp is being read as 35-38C by the BIOS when the computer is idle. The front and side fans on the case are working fine.

I eventually managed to get the BIOS update, and updated Windows itself, still got the problem.

Is this ACPI temp being read from somewhere on the motherboard itself e.g. the Northbridge or something?

At this stage I'm beginning to think it has to be the RAM or motherboard itself, how are Komplett on returns etc does anyone know? Never actually had to return anything to them before.

Well the funny thing is I dont have an ACPI entry in my speedfan I asummed it must be part of the chipset temp ?

Just in case about the RAM get a second opinion with Microsoft's own RAM tester.

Also running Prime95 is another good tester. Also for the sake of it disable the RAM config by SPD in the bios and increase the usual values like CAS, Tras, RAS etc by one so if its 4 set it to 5 and so on.

Maybe the RAM isn't bad but the system just can't handle the timings in the bios.You can use CPU-Z and it's SPD tab to see what the default timings are the current timings can be found on the memory tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

Run memtest86 to fully test the ram for 2-3 hours. If you need to return to komplett good luck!!. It took my machine over fours weeks to be turned around.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Think I'm going to have to chalk this one up to those two games rather than the hardware. Have installed four or five other games, older (Max Payne) and newer (Medieval Total War 2) and no problems.

Plus ran Prime95 for nearly the last 24 hours in each of the three modes and not a problem, and checked the RAM again with the Microsoft tester, with no problems.

Reckon I'll just hand this one over and tell him not to install FEAR or Oblivion :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement