Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus may go top tonight!

• 01-12-2006 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Undoubtedly the biggest game of the weekend in Serie B takes place in Genoa as Juventus arrive determined to claim top spot.

The Old Lady are now just a single point behind leaders Napoli and know that a win on Friday could put them top for the first time in their history. However, the Grifoni will be desperate to bounce back from last weekend’s defeat against Bologna and reassert themselves amongst the leaders.

Despite the quality of the opposition, Rossoblu Coach Gian Piero Gasperini maintains that his side will try and control the pace of the game. “We have a team identity and we’re going to show it,” he stated. “Juventus are the strongest side in Serie B and we respect their abilities, but we’re not afraid and there’s everything to play for.”

*lifted from Channel 4's Football Italia page

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Juve will win promotion this season regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

regardless of what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

nipplenuts wrote:
    regardless of what?
    Regardless of the result tonight I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

It's an absolute disgrace that those shower of cheats are gonna go straight back up this season. 30 point deduction to 11 point deduction is it? Italian football is corrupt, a non-entity. Genoa FTW anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's an absolute disgrace that those shower of cheats are gonna go straight back up this season. 30 point deduction to 11 point deduction is it? Italian football is corrupt, a non-entity. Genoa FTW anyhow.

Well to be fair, the entire board and president and pretty much everyone involved has been kicked out and given bannings. They're not exactly a "shower of cheats" now. Even most of the players are gone, so who is there to be mad at, the name "Juventus"? The new staff? The new players? the loyal players like buffon, tres, del piero, nedved etc who stayed? The shareholders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Here Here Zane! Genoa FTW. Lets forget about the fact that Genoa FC were sent down to Serie C for match fixing last year.

Sure Genoa are only a small club, it wasn't their fault. Its big bad Juve who are the real villains here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Pighead wrote:
    Here Here Zane! Genoa FTW. Lets forget about the fact that Genoa FC were sent down to Serie C for match fixing last year.

Sure Genoa are only a small club, it wasn't their fault. Its big bad Juve who are the real villains here!

Zing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Italian football is corrupt so let's blame Juve for it all? This is probably a good thread to put Cannavaro's quotes:

"Everyone knew of Luciano Moggi's contacts and how powerful Juve were,
    but we had no idea how far that could go. In any case, that does not
    change the fact that we were the best club.

I still remember when Mahamadou Diarra came to me and said 'Ah, Moggi
    - money!'. I tried to explain that Moggi did not visit referees to
    offer them money.

With the power he had he could influence the assignment of a referee
    to one match instead of another, which I know is not a normal
    procedure.

The problem is that people, especially abroad, believe that Juve
    bought the matches, but that is not true.

"It was a huge abuse of power that must be condemned, but that was also
    useless. We were the best and we proved it."

We can only go on what Juve were found guily of and I don't think they even deserved to be relegated for what they were found guilty of. I've said it 100 times but do you think Moggi could care less what league Juve are in atm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Pighead wrote:
    Regardless of the result tonight I'd imagine.
    Another Zing! for Pighead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

1-1.

Medved scoring and then being sent off in the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote:
    "Everyone knew of Luciano Moggi's contacts and how powerful Juve were,
    but we had no idea how far that could go. In any case, that does not
    change the fact that we were the best club.

I still remember when Mahamadou Diarra came to me and said 'Ah, Moggi
    - money!'. I tried to explain that Moggi did not visit referees to
    offer them money.

With the power he had he could influence the assignment of a referee
    to one match instead of another, which I know is not a normal
    procedure.

The problem is that people, especially abroad, believe that Juve
    bought the matches, but that is not true.

"It was a huge abuse of power that must be condemned, but that was also
    useless. We were the best and we proved it."

Bullshi* IMO. Juve, and the other cheating clubs, proved nothing.

Cheaters never win.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Well to be fair, the entire board and president and pretty much everyone involved has been kicked out and given bannings. They're not exactly a "shower of cheats" now. Even most of the players are gone, so who is there to be mad at, the name "Juventus"? The new staff? The new players? the loyal players like buffon, tres, del piero, nedved etc who stayed? The shareholders?

Totally agree, if anyone should be punished it's the board of directors not the team who worked their asses off week in week out to win the league, fairly, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

nipplenuts wrote:
    Undoubtedly the biggest game of the weekend in Serie B takes place in Genoa as Juventus arrive determined to claim top spot.

According to the Guardian, they already occupy top spot :p.

Serbian wrote:
    According to the Guardian, they already occupy top spot :p.

:confused:

Because they drew last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:

Cheaters never win.
    I've seen plenty of cheaters win. Injury faking time wasters, divers, etc. Don't try to say that's not as big a problem as Moggi using his powers to get a ref assigned to a certain match when the ref, the players and the coaches see it as just a normal game.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=2833&art_id=iol1165396868251B226
    Milan - Czech veteran Pavel Nedved is considering quitting football after receiving a five-game suspension in a Serie B game at the weekend, La Gazzetta dello Sport reported on Wednesday.

A sports judge suspended the 34-year-old Juventus playmaker for committing a rough foul on a Genoa player and insulting the referee as well as stepping on his foot, after being red-carded.

Mino Raiola, the player's agent, said Nedved was infuriated and denied all charges brought by referee Roberto Farina in his game report.

"(Nedved) told me won't accept the verdict and that Farina is a liar. He did not insult him nor did he step on his foot. If he did it, it was accidently," Raiola said.

The agent added that Nedved feels that his suspension is a political message and that Juve players are being made pay for what happened in the past season - a reference to a sports trial in
    which the Turin powerhouse was relegated.

Nedved reportedly also disagrees also with the soft attitude taken by Juve, whose lawyer Luigi Chiappero said the club will appeal the suspension "without hurry so to have time to study the situation".

Raiola said that Nedved "understands that Juve are trying to look likeable, but one thing is to be likeable, another is being cheated in every game. Juve must ask to be respected".

"If this is the new policy of (the Italian football federation) FIGC and of Juve, they should say it clearly and he will quit," Raiola said. - Sapa-dpa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgxf4GdA8No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

seansouth wrote:

Cheaters never win.

anymore of this talk and theres gonna be a verbal come the next boards match! ;)

Advertisement