Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with new computer build.

Options
  • 01-12-2006 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently put together a new PC, and have been having some problems for the past few weeks, which today have come to a head.

For the past week or so, the computer, when running any high-intensity programs, would randomly decide to switch itself off and restart completely.

Today, when I switched it on, I got the error message "NTLDR is missing - Press Any Key to Continue". Now, I think this would be quite easy to fix, if to computer didnt shut down every time I tried to boot from a CD.

While in the past it would work for hours without switching off or causing problems, and then suddenly decide to die on me, it is now continuously dying, so I can't turn it on (and so cannot play any games!).

Any suggestions to solve the problem ? The PSU, which is what I thought when it started, should be big enough (although I haven't ruled out a faulty unit) at 600W.

So yeah...any help will be greatly appreciated. If you need any more information I can post it up here in a second, since I'll pretty much be waiting here for suggestions !

Thanks very much, guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There isn't a floppy disk in it, is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It sounds like a heat thing - check your fans are running, case clear of dust bunnies etc. If it's alway been a problem it may be the heatsinf/fan on the cpu are not properly mounted/pasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Well its only a new PC. Put it together last week, so no dust bunnies yet. There is no floppy drive, so if there are any floppys in it...thats probably the problem ! ;)

If its a heat thing, would it be turning off after a few seconds of use ? Before the heatsink even starts up? I'm not sure if the heatsink is fitted properly, I just re-fitted it there 20mins ago (your thoughts were the same as mine at the beginning), but the problem has appeared to stay the same.

Thanks a lot guys :)

Any other suggestions ? I think I'll go have another look at the heatsink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Leave the side of your case off and see how it goes. Also add a desk fan to blow air into it. If it then does not cash you know its a heat problem.

As thats what it sounds like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

does it stay on long enough to check the hardware monitor in bios for high temps and high/low voltages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to Upgrade/Build Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

Hi,

please rule out the PSU issue as it sounds like a PSU problem.
    Also the NTLDR missing can happen when bad shut down and winXP cant
    start / read properly from harddisk, as u know yourself.
    I think personally: from high to low: 1. PSU , 2. Ram , 3. M/B , 4. HDD.

good luck

Advertisement