Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audio output weirdness... help!

• 01-12-2006 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I've a weird problem...

I use an external sound card (the old Creative Sound Blaster Extigy) on my Toshiba Satellite P10 laptop and I use JetAudio VX Pro for playing back MP3's etc, - which play through this card just fine.

The problem is that Windows Media Player (v. 11) has decided to use the laptops internal sound card for playback, despite all the default settings in Windows (that I can find, anyway) being set to use the Extigy. I can play one track in WMP (and hear it through the laptop's speakers) while playing another track in JetAudio or WinAmp (or whatever) and hearing it through the speakers from the external card. I can't find any setting in WMP to switch between sound cards.

Anyone encountered this before? It's possibly something simple causing the issue. I guess I'd rather if I didn't have to re-install the drivers, not that that's a big deal if needed...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I know you have said you have checked all the settings you have found so ignore this if you have tried it already.

In WMP, go to Tools > Options > Devices and see if your external sound card is listed. If so highlight it and click on properties. Any option in there to make it the default? Or if it has listed the internal card in devices check the properties on that and see if there is anyway to turn off that card as default?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

On the off chance you haven't already tried this, go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio and make sure the driver for your Extigy is selected as your default playback device.

Also, in my version of WMP (v.10) you can go to Tools -> Options -> Devices, then select Speakers and click Properties. DirectSound is the default setting on mine (which is actually incorrect here). So maybe thats it.

If thats not the problem, could be a bug in WMP maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

cornbb wrote:
    Also, in my version of WMP (v.10) you can go to Tools -> Options -> Devices, then select Speakers and click Properties. DirectSound is the default setting on mine (which is actually incorrect here). So maybe thats it.

That solved it - thanks!

It was set to "DirectSound Realtek AC97 Audio" where it should have been set to "DirectSound Creative SB Extigy". I didn't realise that I'd have to get the properties of the speakers - thought that the sound card(s) would be listed under devices and that there was something wrong when they weren't... d'oh!

Advertisement