Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP Vs Dell

• 01-12-2006 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭

Sorry if something similar has been brought up before but I checked and couldn't find anything. I've decided to get a new laptop fairly soon. I have choice down to 2, a HP and a Dell. Now I was just wondering in general which would people go with? There was also a Sony but seemed like the graphics card wasn't what I wanted. It's just a question of who in general build better laptops. Dell have got an awful lot of bad press, but I know HP's are not always smooth running either. This question is really aimed at people that have/had either a HP or a Dell, and if they had any problems. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Frankieboy wrote:
    Sorry if something similar has been brought up before but I checked and couldn't find anything. I've decided to get a new laptop fairly soon. I have choice down to 2, a HP and a Dell. Now I was just wondering in general which would people go with? There was also a Sony but seemed like the graphics card wasn't what I wanted. It's just a question of who in general build better laptops. Dell have got an awful lot of bad press, but I know HP's are not always smooth running either. This question is really aimed at people that have/had either a HP or a Dell, and if they had any problems. Thanks
    No more Dells for me. Had to replace the harddrive twice. Checked with major electronics retailer in the States (Best Buy) about HPs, and they have the highest return for repairs of brands they sell. You might want to consider Toshiba? They invented the laptop. You can surf them online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Yes I know Tosh's are the best to go with, but my wallet is not stretching that far. It's a pity cause they make really nice laptops! Place I used to work in a few years ago, we would get maybe 40-50% HP's back, ok some were minor issues but still. Compared to Tosh's, dont remember ever seeing one come back, I presume at least one did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I have a Dell Latitude D505 in work.I'd say I have it about 15 months or so.

So far - the optical drive failed after about 10 days;the power supply failed after about 6 months;Last week the hard disk failed;The docking station I got with it stopped seeing the network after about 2 weeks.

I had a Latitude before the present one and I think the hard disk was about the only original part that wasn't replaced.

3 year warranty essential !

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

I've just sold on a 2 year old Dell laptop. No trouble with it ever. I'm gettin a new one myself but have decided to stay away from dell simply for the looks of them.

Was lookin at a HP too but am slightly put off now by these problems mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

And I personally would not recommend a HP laptop after all the crap I had with mine.

Any Dell laptop I have ordered for friends/family haven't given a day of trouble.

Now my IBM Thinkpad - there's a quality machine. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've heard great reports about HP laptops myself. Haven't heard of bad reliability at all. Toshiba on the other hand...:( Broken ethernet adaptors to flimsy power sockets breaking easily to failed hard drives. I've been put off Toshiba permanently over the last year.

Acer also look the business as far as reliability is concerned. Are they an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Yes it looks like im going to go with an Acer. Seem fairly reliable and within my budget. So im just going to with it. I think it all really comes down to luck. You can be lucky or unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

recently i bought an asus as was a good deal and heck they make motherboards so i presumed they know there stuff...

One year on and i will not buy another branded laptop as this one just sits there and works very well.

Advertisement