Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice

Options
  • 01-12-2006 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭

I came home today having not been around much the past few days to discover we've mice living in the house.
    Theres building going on next door so I presume the noise/banging etc. has driven them into our house (which they've done before). Not too much of a problem for the lads in the house, except my mother spotted one today, freaked and is now having rentokill come early next week!

So, what I'm looking for is some easily made live traps. I've checked online but everyones selling them and I don't have enough time to get them myself, so need some basic ideas on how I can catch these mice alive before rentokill come and put down poison.

In the past we had them and I just caught them and released them in the park nearby until we found the source (our vacant next door neighbours house, easily over 2000 live mice when we checked!), but I don't have the same amount of time this time around. My mothers intent on getting the lot of them killed, while I want to get as many as possible out alive.

So, any ideas for traps? If I see them I can catch them easily enough, but need traps I can lay that obviously won't kill them.

Also, the majority of them seem to be babies so if theres anyone looking for pet mice or keep mice in general, I'll give away whatever I do catch(hopefully) so PM me or say so in this thread if you want to put your name down for them, if not they'll be released in the local park.

Oh and no snake owners, I'm trying to keep these things alive :)
    Though, if I find any dead ones...you're welcome to them...

So yeah, ideas people! Need to get these out asap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I got humane traps in woodies a few years back, I think they still sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Arro Hardware have them so should most hardware shops at this time of year.
    Just remember once caught you have to drive at least a mile to let them off otherwise they will just come back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

And you cannot keep wild mice as pets, nor is it safe to feed them to reptiles, alive OR dead. Please please do not do either!
    I love mice, but these are wild and not to be introduced into the "pet" world, not to mention the possibility for mites or disease / infection.
    Wild mice are VERY different to pet mice.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree, wild mice are different to pet mice, plus they could die from the stress of being confined not to mention they could be carrying allsorts even the babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Thats grand.
    Made a few traps myself, very basic ones that you'd probably see in a cartoon tbh! But surprisingly have caught 3 as a result and 1 which I found wandering around the bathroom which were subsequently released in a park about two miles from the house, hopefully they'll be fine there.

Dogs caught another 2 before I had a chance to get to them unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement