Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU15 becomes EU+, West V East

Options
  • 02-12-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

As the EU15 because the EU+. The federal State is here. This is the same problem the US face in South V North. How will the EU best deal with this.

Poor meets Rich
    Catholic meets Muslim
    War V Business {or is it Politics}

This may be best on Political Theory, It may be moved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

keynesian wrote:
    As the EU15 because the EU+. The federal State is here.
    Not really, not yet. Federalists would say we're nowhere near a federal state, those interested in keeping the Eu as an economic union would say we're in a federal state now. They're both wrong. Meanwhile just because the EU is bigger doesn't make it more of less federalist.
    This is the same problem the US face in South V North. How will the EU best deal with this.

Poor meets Rich
    Transfer of cash between regions for development has been in place for years. Cash transfer in the event of an unforseen event like an asymmetric economic shock isn't a tool of the ECB and has never been and personally I see this as a problem (it was chapter 4 of a thesis I once had occasion to write). Either way, not much change there.
    Catholic meets Muslim
    Hello.

Assuming you mean Turkey, firstly it's not a member yet and secondly it's got a long tradition of secularism. A longer tradition than we have. I'm not all that concerned in particular by the prospect of Turkey joining merely because the population happens to be Muslim, though I've got problems with their adherence to other civil rights.
    War V Business {or is it Politics}
    You've completely lost me there I'm afraid.

Advertisement